The Richard brothers...

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
V-2 Schneider said:
I watched that game, too.I also watched each game that entire playoff run.Richard played well, but he had a career night on Game 7.He was not Montreal's best forward during the playoffs.No question Hull played like a star,but the three i previously mentioned, made the difference in the Boston,Minnesota and Chicago series.

Look closer at the video, and Lemaire scored from just outside the blueline.His shot was as heavy as both Hull's, so it shouldn't be seen as a fluke.He has said that Tony O didn't see longshots well,so it wasn't like MacInnis bouncing on in on Potvin from center ice.
Tony O choked, Dryden didn't. Result -- another Montreal cup.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Henri's 71 legend was that he scored the 2 goals in g7, esp. after his commnets about Al MacNeil after being benched earlier in the series. He wasn't the player he was in his prime but he came up big in g7. That year was full of stories,Beliveau's final run, knowing Lafleur would be drafted that spring. Mahovlich having the time of his life in Mtl., with his brother. Dryden was the story though.

I remember when the Hawks went up 2-0 in g7 thinking, o well it was fun, nothing to be ashamed of. From Lemaire's goal on, the game was kind of surreal, probably to Hawk fans too, for differenet reasons.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
mcphee said:
Henri's 71 legend was that he scored the 2 goals in g7, esp. after his commnets about Al MacNeil after being benched earlier in the series. He wasn't the player he was in his prime but he came up big in g7. That year was full of stories,Beliveau's final run, knowing Lafleur would be drafted that spring. Mahovlich having the time of his life in Mtl., with his brother. Dryden was the story though.

I remember when the Hawks went up 2-0 in g7 thinking, o well it was fun, nothing to be ashamed of. From Lemaire's goal on, the game was kind of surreal, probably to Hawk fans too, for differenet reasons.
Surreal for sure. One of the worst nights of my life. I still see Esposito drropping his shoulder and the Lemaire shot from center ice going over it, When your goalie can't make a routine save in the 7th game of a Stanley cup final you are doomed. After the game, my girlfriend at the time & I went out in Toronto where I was living at the time Two drunk aholes came into the subway car I was on asking if there where any stupid Chicago fans on board. To there surprise there was one -Me. A brawl ensued.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
murray said:
Surreal for sure. One of the worst nights of my life. I still see Esposito drropping his shoulder and the Lemaire shot from center ice going over it, When your goalie can't make a routine save in the 7th game of a Stanley cup final you are doomed. After the game, my girlfriend at the time & I went out in Toronto where I was living at the time Two drunk aholes came into the subway car I was on asking if there where any stupid Chicago fans on board. To there surprise there was one -Me. A brawl ensued.
MY Dad always told me that if you have to fight more than 1 guy, sucker punch the biggest and hope the others run away. Hope you prevailed.

A friend of mine told me this one. He's about 10-12 years older'n me, I believe it happened after the 1966 g7. That would have made them 20-22 I guess. They had watched the final in a downtown bar and went to Ben's for a late night smoked meat [I rememebr when I could eat late at night], when Mikita and Wharram, amongst others strolled in. Someone made a derogatory comment causing the Hawk players to go over tables and jump my friend's table. Apparently they focused on the wrong guy, the loudmouth got away while the guy they grabbed was an actual Hawk fan. There were a lot in Mtl. in those days. I think they scared the hell out of the guys and let them go, if the stories' in fact true.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
mcphee said:
MY Dad always told me that if you have to fight more than 1 guy, sucker punch the biggest and hope the others run away. Hope you prevailed.

A friend of mine told me this one. He's about 10-12 years older'n me, I believe it happened after the 1966 g7. That would have made them 20-22 I guess. They had watched the final in a downtown bar and went to Ben's for a late night smoked meat [I rememebr when I could eat late at night], when Mikita and Wharram, amongst others strolled in. Someone made a derogatory comment causing the Hawk players to go over tables and jump my friend's table. Apparently they focused on the wrong guy, the loudmouth got away while the guy they grabbed was an actual Hawk fan. There were a lot in Mtl. in those days. I think they scared the hell out of the guys and let them go, if the stories' in fact true.
Interesting. Mikita & wharram were not big guys. Hard to imagine them in a bar room brawl.

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Psycho Papa Joe said:
That Henri Richard should be rated alot higher.

btw...

Players, Best W-L Dif. (estimated numbers)

Player Name -- Player "W-L Dif"
========================
Robinson Larry -- 435
Richard Henri -- 412
Gainey Bob -- 391
Savard Serge -- 388
Cournoyer Yvan -- 375
Lemaire Jacques -- 368
Cashman Wayne -- 367
Shutt Steve -- 352
Lapointe Guy -- 351
Jarvis Doug -- 351
Beliveau Jean -- 343
Lafleur Guy -- 336
Stevens Scott -- 327
Coffey Paul -- 319
Lidstrom Nicklas -- 317
Provost Claude -- 313
Trembley Mario -- 300
Marcotte Don -- 299
Lambert Yvon -- 297
Kelly Red -- 292
Richard Maurice -- 285
Barber Bill -- 282
Esposito Phil -- 278
Houle Rejean -- 278
Hodge Ken -- 277
Clapper Dit -- 276
Nieuwendyk Joe -- 266
Chelios Chris -- 262

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
murray said:
Interesting. Mikita & wharram were not big guys. Hard to imagine them in a bar room brawl.
FRom the way it was told to me, it was more of a barroom scare the crap out of somebody. Ben's is a restaurant, well lit, and these guys needed scaring, if it happened that way. This guy has built up stories before, I think something happened and he addded some details. I'd bet that most player, barroom legends are just that. OT, Wharram retired with a heart problem didn't he ? What did he do after retirement ? I hate to ask, but is he still with us ?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Ken Wharram is doing well and living in central Ontario I think.

Wharram was one of the few former NHL's who refused to have the Stanley Cup for the day when he was offered it by the HHOF this past summer.

mcphee said:
FRom the way it was told to me, it was more of a barroom scare the crap out of somebody. Ben's is a restaurant, well lit, and these guys needed scaring, if it happened that way. This guy has built up stories before, I think something happened and he addded some details. I'd bet that most player, barroom legends are just that. OT, Wharram retired with a heart problem didn't he ? What did he do after retirement ? I hate to ask, but is he still with us ?

Peter9

Apr 1, 2008
Los Angeles, USA
I actually saw Claude, the Vest Pocket Rocket, play several times--for the Montreal Junior Canadiens--and I even have his autograph on a program cover. A lot of us younger fans, who couldn't afford NHL ticket prices on a regular basis, went to Junior A games. The book on Claude, as I recall, was good shot, good passer, poor skater. He did play on a line with Maurice and Henri during the Canadiens' preseason one year. But that's as close as he got.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Why because we get to hear about stories about the history of the game, players, and specific events by those who saw them?

No, because everyone is pretty much in agreement.

With that said I am still fascinated by Maurice and Henri. I didn't even know there was a third brother until this thread.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
1 Wayne Gretzky
2 Gordie Howe
3 Bobby Orr
4 Mario Lemieux
5 Jean Beliveau
6 Eddie Shore*
7 Bobby Hull
8 Ray Bourque
9 Maurice "Rocket" Richard
10 Phil Esposito
11 Stan Mikita
12 Guy Lafleur
13 Doug Harvey
14 Jaromir Jagr
15 Howie Morenz*
16 Leonard "Red" Kelly*
17 Francis "King" Clancy*
18 Bill Cowley
19 Paul Coffey
20 Ted Kennedy
21 Bryan Trottier
22 Earl Seibert*
23 Andy Bathgate
24 Syl Apps, Sr.
25 Cecil " Babe" Dye*
26 Bobby Clarke
27 Elmer Lach
28 Cy Denneny*
29 Marcel Dionne
30 Milt Schmidt
31 Mike Bossy
32 Nels Stewart*
33 Denis Potvin
34 Mark Messier
35 Larry Robinson
36 Lionel Conacher*
37 Joe Sakic
38 Pierre Pilote
39 Frank Boucher*
40 Charlie Conacher
41 Nicklas Lidstrom
42 Max Bentley
43 Steve Yzerman
44 Brad Park
45 Harry Cameron*
46 Bernie Geoffrion
47 Doug Bentley
48 Al MacInnis
49 Ted Lindsay
50 Brett Hull
51 Aurel Joliat*
52 Bill Cook*
53 Rod Langway
54 Edouard "Newsy" Lalonde*
Aubrey "Dit" Clapper*
56 Scott Stevens
57 Chris Chelios
58 Sprague Cleghorn*
59 Ebbie Goodfellow*
60 Teemu Selanne
61 Sid Abel
62 Jack Stewart*
63 Bill Gadsby
64 Hector "Toe" Blake
65 Brian Leetch
66 Frank Nighbor*
67 Borje Salming
68 Marty Barry
69 Gord Drillon
70 Adam Oates
71 Harry "Punch" Broadbent*
72 Frank Mahovlich
73 Henri Richard

Some of these ratings perplex me. Intangibles must have little to no bearing in your decisions and scoring must be 500% more valuable than defensive play.

Messier at 34? Lindsay at 49?? How did Bathgate get ahead of Lindsay that far and end up at 23?

Bill Cowley at 18? How does he merit 18th? Several people in his time did better than he did, and his best efforts came during war years when the league was watered down.

Ted Kennedy at 20? He was good in the playoffs, but how does that launch him into top 20? Only three 2nd team all star selections and never placing higher than 4th in scoring.

Lionel Conacher was a good defenseman, but I can not see him ahead of Charlie, a 5 time leading goal scorer.

There are so many strange placements on that list that make absolutely no sense considering their competition and the amount of players who are certainly better than them. I feel like there is some inside joke I am missing here because this list HAS to be a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->