Movies: The Rhythm Section (Worst opening in history for 3k+ release)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
this was predicted

There is an old english expression

Keep to your onions

or keep to what you know

Blake Lively has a very limited acting range and what she can and can not do. IF you want a new generation Meg Ryan--that would and could be in her wheel house but this movie here? Any actress would need real acting chops to pull it off and not many could.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Perhaps a better title would've helped. It sounds more like a musical drama than a revenge thriller. Then again, the-numbers.com reports a $50M production budget (i.e. even higher than you gave) and it's hard to imagine it recouping that, anyways. It really makes you wonder why studios green light movies like this and Underwater with relatively high budgets and relatively low star power, i.e. movies with very little chance to actually turn a profit.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Perhaps a better title would've helped. It sounds more like a musical drama than a revenge thriller. Then again, the-numbers.com reports a $50M production budget (i.e. even higher than you gave) and it's hard to imagine it recouping that, anyways. It really makes you wonder why studios green light movies like this and Underwater with relatively high budgets and relatively low star power, i.e. movies with very little chance to actually turn a profit.

Well actually nowadays I think quite a few big movies have made money without stars. You don't think Stewart is big enough anyhow?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I rarely lob this complaint against movies and have traditionally though it was a silly thing to cite as a negative, but the first time I saw this preview the title comes up ... and the only thing I could think of is that is an AWFUL AWFUL title.

Reactions: discostu

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well actually nowadays I think quite a few big movies have made money without stars. You don't think Stewart is big enough anyhow?

If it's an IP that moviegoers are already familiar with, yes, those can make money without star power (ex. Godzilla: King of the Monsters). Also, new IPs with lesser stars can make money if their budgets are low (ex. Crawl). I'm talking about new IPs with lesser stars that have decent budgets (around $50M), like this one. It's hard to make money on those because they have to gross over $100M to do so. It happens, but that's usually when the movies are really good and word of mouth gets around and not something that studio execs should count on.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
If it's an IP that moviegoers are already familiar with, yes, those can make money without star power (ex. Godzilla: King of the Monsters). Also, new IPs with lesser stars can make money if their budgets are low (ex. Crawl). I'm talking about new IPs with lesser stars that have decent budgets (around $50M), like this one. It's hard to make money on those because they have to gross over $100M to do so. It happens, but that's usually when the movies are really good and word of mouth gets around and not something that studio execs should count on.

That's pretty much the hollywood strategy nowadays.

Horror movies like Crawl usually have low budgets though.

You did not answer if you thought Stewart was a big enough star?

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Horror movies like Crawl usually have low budgets though.

That's my point. They can be profitable and worth the risk in spite of having lesser stars if their budgets are only $10-25M. If they're $50M, though, then the movies need to gross over $100M, and that's just hard for movies with lesser stars to do, especially consistently.

You did not answer if you thought Stewart was a big enough star?

I don't think that she's a big enough star to make a $50M+ film profitable, and her last two films appear to back that up:

Charlie's Angels: $48-55M budget, $70M gross
Underwater: $50-80M budget , $37M gross

Last edited:

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
This was filmed in 17-18, then the studio did not know what to do with it cause it was trying to do something "different", so it ended up getting dumped, not that it's apparently a good movie anyway.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
this was predicted

There is an old english expression

Keep to your onions

or keep to what you know

Blake Lively has a very limited acting range and what she can and can not do. IF you want a new generation Meg Ryan--that would and could be in her wheel house but this movie here? Any actress would need real acting chops to pull it off and not many could.

She's actually done this kind of thing before.

member 51464

I can proudly report I saw a special Thursday evening showing of this, lol.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I can proudly report I saw a special Thursday evening showing of this, lol.

We count on kihei to always be the first to see and review the best movies of the year. Can we expect the same from you when it comes to the worst movies?

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

member 51464

We count on kihei to always be the first to see and review the best movies of the year. Can we expect the same from you when it comes to the worst movies?
I sure hope not, haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad