OT: The Return of Schmockey Night?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
OK, I never attended a Schmockey Night, nor did I ever want to. But I do remember the annual influx of commercials on every TV and radio station. I looked it up on the internet and found very little except for some YouTube videos of commercials. It seems the last one was 1992.

I was thinking it is due for a return. Ondrej Pavelec could play goal for the media broomball team!

Derfel*

Looks like fun.

I'm so glad I didn't grow up in this province.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
OK, I never attended a Schmockey Night, nor did I ever want to. But I do remember the annual influx of commercials on every TV and radio station. I looked it up on the internet and found very little except for some YouTube videos of commercials. It seems the last one was 1992.

I was thinking it is due for a return. Ondrej Pavelec could play goal for the media broomball team!

Only if Lawless could back him up and replace him after 3 goals in 5 shots.;)

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I really never enjoyed Scmockey too much. It was pretty lame. Could be fun to take the kids to for old nostalgia.:laugh:

The Bill Heindl benefit game was a special evening. The 1st and only time I ever met Wayne Gretzky. He signed my program. Apparantly 15 000 were in attendance.

Bill Heindl Benefit Hockey Game played at the Winnipieg Arena on April 25, 1980 reads "A Hockey Happening" -- and in retrospect, it sure was, as this was the only time Bobby Orr (who's pictured on the cover) and Wayne Gretzky ever played on the same team, the NHL Pro Stars, who skated against the Canadian National team.

http://www.lelands.com/auction/Auct...retzky-Teammates-Only-Game-Appearance-Program

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
2 Sports Guys

Dean Kennedy and Matt Dunigan were on the show and there is a good foundation for a Schmockey team.

And why not Tie Domi?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Winnipeg isn't Winnipeg without Schmockey Night and Reveen to brighten up our Januarys.

Reveen!.......,if there's an afterlife I owe that guy some payback.

Ugh, Schmockey night, broomball is so lame there's a reason Winnipeggers play sponge.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I really never enjoyed Scmockey too much. It was pretty lame. Could be fun to take the kids to for old nostalgia.:laugh:

The Bill Heindl benefit game was a special evening. The 1st and only time I ever met Wayne Gretzky. He signed my program. Apparantly 15 000 were in attendance.

http://www.lelands.com/auction/Auct...retzky-Teammates-Only-Game-Appearance-Program

I definately remember that night.
My school did it as an optional field trip and we had a bus full make the trip to Winnipeg for it.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
As far as I could tell, a broomball game surrounded by mediocre quasi-entertainment.

The ads were more entertaining than the event.

Great thread full of good memories. I saw Raveen in Brandon once. Very memorable show. Hypnotism and the power of suggestion can be quite powerful.

Ken Dryden also played in the Heindl benefit. I believe ... on defense! He wore his goalie skates (he had just retired).

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I remember Mad Dog Vachon suiting up to play goal.

maddog_jets.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad