The resurgance of Antti Niemi?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He's been re-united with Stephane Waite who was his goalie coach in Chicago, have to wonder how much he's helped Niemi since coming in Montreal.

I thought he'd be getting lit up bad when we got him, but he's been excellent so far (despite it being a small sample) and seems to be well liked by his teammates.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Niemi was probably mentally broken after the Dallas season ( where Lehtonen post a .902 save%) and Pitts and Florida stops (I think he face Tampa twice with his team playing on back to back). He got here in Mtl and worked with his ex blackhawks goaltender coach Stephen Waite. Even if he's not great (good) technically he's fighting to stop the puck and it's knd of working for him.

From what I've heard from 2 sources here in Mtl, he's probably the one guy who's working the hardest in practice. Good for him. As for next year who knows. Montreal will probably have Price and Lindgren ( new 3 years oneway contract starting next year ) but I wouldn't be surprise to have Niemi back with us ( 750K) and have one more year of development for Lindgren in the AHL.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He's atrocious, but probably the most fun/scary goalie to watch. When the puck is in the Habs' end, I find myself honed in on Niemi, the puck is an afterthought. Everything he does it so weird. How he moves in the crease, his stance, how he tracks the puck. I am entertained, and I hope the pucks continue to hit him. I LOVE Antti Niemi, but I refuse to believe he's good

Well looks can fool you, one Dominik Hasek probably agrees :)
for his entire career he didn't look like a goalie, at all, everything he did was weird
but he did the job, brilliantly and is one of the best goalies ever played this sport.

But lets not confuse Hasek to Niemi, Niemi never was and never bee
even close to what Hasek was, you just mentioned weird and i thought of Hasek :)

You have your opinion, your believe and i respect that,but he IS GOOD :popcorn:

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
for his entire career he didn't look like a goalie, at all, everything he did was weird
but he did the job, brilliantly and is one of the best goalies ever played this sport.

even close to what Hasek was, you just mentioned weird and i thought of Hasek :)

Could point to Tim Thomas too, who I also hold in high regard. But it's controlled chaos vs chaos chaos

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011

are you really saying that because hasek had an unorthodox style than antii niemi is good? what kind of line of logic is that?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Niemi is nothing more than your average zamboni driver, lucky enough to be at the rink when Finnish third tier league team was out of options. Luck has followed him everywhere since then, but now it seems he has ran out of it. Unlucky Niemi is the worst goalie in the world, and not even NHL level as a zamboni driver. He's out of the league as soon as next season.

This, biggest passenger in NHL history.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
are you really saying that because hasek had an unorthodox style than antii niemi is good? what kind of line of logic is that?

I think you completely misunderstood my post.

Buuut, sorry if my post was confusing or something :(
Though, i did put that last part there, so no one would make
any of such assumptions,i thought i was clear on that :( , go figure.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
He's been re-united with Stephane Waite who was his goalie coach in Chicago, have to wonder how much he's helped Niemi since coming in Montreal.

I thought he'd be getting lit up bad when we got him, but he's been excellent so far (despite it being a small sample) and seems to be well liked by his teammates.
This- we may have gave 10M to the wrong guy- Stephane Waite works magic with goalies. Too bad he couldn't have fixed his brother back in the day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad