GDT: The Replacements vs Le Baguetteee Bois

Who do you want to see in net

• Total voters

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
It's weird that you took this down, because I think it's starting to become obvious that it's exactly the case. We *are* poorly coached.

I get that we've faced adversity, but the mistakes that are happening are unacceptable, and yet, nothing changes. We look aimless out there. There's *no* structure, offensively or defensively. It's a series of one-on-ones all over the ice with no discernible plan of any kind.

I love Rod, and I know he sees it. Why he's not doing anything about it is beyond me at this point, and I think it's OK to question him.
I also am a huge fan of rod and am not saying he needs to he fired or anything. But he has said to the media at least once that he has no structure, that the guys know what they're doing, etc. It's why I was beating the drum so hard last year that they should be trying to find a "special teams coach" or something similar last year. I know that's not a normal thing in the nhl, but an assistant coach or something... someone who can fill in those gaps that Brind'Amour has in tactics and bench management while still using the leadership and motivation skills that he brings in spades might be helpful. It's easy to get frustrated at this recent stretch, but they're still hanging around despite facing a ton of injury issues and they have games in hand on teams they are chasing. I'm concerned and realistically this mountain may be too high for the team to scale as is but I don't think it's all doom and gloom. Not saying you do either just trying to get my thoughts out.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I also am a huge fan of rod and am not saying he needs to he fired or anything. But he has said to the media at least once that he has no structure, that the guys know what they're doing, etc. It's why I was beating the drum so hard last year that they should be trying to find a "special teams coach" or something similar last year. I know that's not a normal thing in the nhl, but an assistant coach or something... someone who can fill in those gaps that Brind'Amour has in tactics and bench management while still using the leadership and motivation skills that he brings in spades might be helpful. It's easy to get frustrated at this recent stretch, but they're still hanging around despite facing a ton of injury issues and they have games in hand on teams they are chasing. I'm concerned and realistically this mountain may be too high for the team to scale as is but I don't think it's all doom and gloom. Not saying you do either just trying to get my thoughts out.

This is very much what I was afraid of when Rod was hired. He inherited a group that had very strong fundamentals beat into them by a very good X’s and O’s coach, with the team mostly lacking the ability to play loosely in that system. He gave them that and they were much better. But now we’ve had two rounds of players coming into the system (offseason and deadline) who don’t know the previous system and the team has looked successively more disorganized each time. I’m concerned he doesn’t have the tools to mold the new guys into any cohesive group.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’m looking forward to watching a stress free Checkers game on AHL Live this evening. I haven’t been able to get through a Canes game since the Ayres fiasco. Also looking forward to watching Keane for the first time.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
This is very much what I was afraid of when Rod was hired. He inherited a group that had very strong fundamentals beat into them by a very good X’s and O’s coach, with the team mostly lacking the ability to play loosely in that system. He gave them that and they were much better. But now we’ve had two rounds of players coming into the system (offseason and deadline) who don’t know the previous system and the team has looked successively more disorganized each time. I’m concerned he doesn’t have the tools to mold the new guys into any cohesive group.
It's always a big gamble trading players away and bringing in multiple player at this point in the season, because it take time that you don't have for them to gel. Unfortunately for us, injuries forced their hand. I was hoping for a smoother transition, but it still may work out if they can get their heads together fast. Still hoping they can pull it off.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It's always a big gamble trading players away and bringing in multiple player at this point in the season, because it take time that you don't have for them to gel. Unfortunately for us, injuries forced their hand. I was hoping for a smoother transition, but it still may work out if they can get their heads together fast. Still hoping they can pull it off.
I agree with you. My comments were specifically related to how much Rod is able to guide and facilitate that process. The good coaches can shorten that learning curve for the new guys and the guys that are already here. I think there were/are issues with some of the guys we brought in over the summer as well. Those should have had ample time by this time of year to be worked into the system. Yet I still have concerns that Gardiner and Dzingle don't get what's needed of them. Some of that maybe that they are incapable of understanding or carrying it out, which isn't on Rod.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Rest of the schedule:

- Flyers (A)
- Isles (A)
- Pens (A)
- Devils (A)
- Red Wings (A)
- Pens (H)
- Sabres (A)
- Blues (H)
- Sens (H)
- Isles (A)
- Pens (A)
- Toronto (H)
- Pens (H)
- Devils (A)
- Bruins (H)
- CBJ (H)
- Bruins (A)

9-6-3 is my prediction for the rest of the season. Not sure if it's enough.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I agree with you. My comments were specifically related to how much Rod is able to guide and facilitate that process. The good coaches can shorten that learning curve for the new guys and the guys that are already here. I think there were/are issues with some of the guys we brought in over the summer as well. Those should have had ample time by this time of year to be worked into the system. Yet I still have concerns that Gardiner and Dzingle don't get what's needed of them. Some of that maybe that they are incapable of understanding or carrying it out, which isn't on Rod.

Dzingel was healthy scratched in the playoffs. He signed that contract for a reason.

Gardiner also signed his contract for a reason. His fit in the system is more awkward. This team needs defensemen that can skate to support and cover for an aggressive forecheck. Komisarek pivoted more smoothly than Gardiner is at this point.

It’s not always on the chef. Particularly in Gardiner’s case, it can be on the folks buying the groceries. Either the pro scouts whiffed or the decision makers didn’t listen.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It’s not always on the chef. Particularly in Gardiner’s case, it can be on the folks buying the groceries. Either the pro scouts whiffed or the decision makers didn’t listen.

I agree with this to a degree. But unless I am misunderstanding how our management system works, I was under the assumption that Rod was part of the group that decided which groceries were bought. So I would assign him more blame than I would Peters under Francis.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I agree with this to a degree. But unless I am misunderstanding how our management system works, I was under the assumption that Rod was part of the group that decided which groceries were bought. So I would assign him more blame than I would Peters under Francis.

Go beyond the management textbook case study-like discussion and who knows how much influence any particular person has behind closed doors. I struggle to envision Brind'Amour being too excited about turning over a good chunk of the defense, particularly the guy that was eating #2 minutes for the team in the playoffs.

Even still, that's an issue of player evaluation. His primary responsibilities are strategy, personality management and development of younger players. Gardiner doesn't seem to be struggling with the mental aspects or is lacking in effort. He looks physically uncomfortable skating at times. That doesn't gel with how Brind'Amour wants the team to play and how the rest of the roster is built.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Ned played well in relief, while Forsberg got hung out to dry early. Per Big Rig the during the second intermission Rod called this game the “worst of the season” a few minutes after they pulled Forsberg. They played a lot better in front of Ned after the switch, and Montreal laid back after a 3-0 lead.

The over passing all season is probably what drives me nuts the most. Backhand saucer passes at the blue line. Blind passes....around the blue line.

That’s crap that gets beaten out of you when you’re a teenager and all season long we just roll with it.

Vinnie is playing well, but they need him to break through. Thank god Williams got away from the Staal hole at least for a period. I’ve been waiting for Rod to put the Nino/Aho/Williams line back together, for better or worse.

:laugh: OMG! I know Im new to this board but has “The Staal Hole” been a thing for a while? because that is so hilariously accurate ahahaha

Reactions: bleedgreen

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I think expectations are too high for this team. Injuries to key players. Couple of duds. Recently acquired players that aren't gelling yet. A lot going on here. They got a point. Are still in it.

Didn't watch.

Thank God.

THIS! And not to play the world’s smallest violin for them but I dont think it can be under-noted how the sudden trades may have also affected a pretty close-knit group.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
i'm glad they managed a point. i cut it off. i haven't cut a game off because i was mad at it since the other staal was coasting through his last couple years here.

the last words i heard as it turned off? john saying, '... once again all alone, unmarked in front..."

Reactions: 3CanesInTheBox

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
We were 6-5-2 in February (a bad month for us was still above NHL .500) and the teams around us have been losing like crazy recently. Seth Jones is hurt, Florida is falling fast and sent us one of their better players, and the Rangers sent us a top 4 D on the same day that the only reason they are still in it broke a rib in a car crash. Even the Isles are letting us keep pace.

I’m not panicking quite yet.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad