The Reinhart Goal Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Come on? He's made one or two defensive gaffs each game the last few. He's a winger who gets the puck out more often then not, lets not act like he's been VERY good, he's been what you'd expect from basically any winger whose average to above average defensively.

He's having a slow start and hasn't been great, he will be fine and start producing soon. But my goodness do some every take every chance to tear him down while others will blindly defend every single thing he does at all costs. I can't remember ever having such a polarizing player on this board, who was the last like this? Myers?
So which one am I?

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Sam's doing Sam things and a big part of the offense as a playmaker and a screen in front. If he puts up 0 goals and 55 assists, while making goals happen for his teammates, I have no complaints. That said, he's got 20+ in 2 of the last 3 seasons. I'm not worried.

Last edited:

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Sam's doing Sam things and a big part of the offense as a playmaker and a screen in front. If he puts up 0 goals and 55 assists, while making goals happen for his teammates, I have no complaints. That said, he's got 20+ in the last 3 seasons. I'm not worried.
That’s a perfectly reasonable take, but it feels like a lot of people are attacking those that think Reinhart ceiling is a 50ish point complementary player in the league. That’s fine and needed but some seem quick to attack people for wondering if this is all were are going to see and he’s hit his ceiling

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
That’s a perfectly reasonable take, but it feels like a lot of people are attacking those that think Reinhart ceiling is a 50ish point complementary player in the league. That’s fine and needed but some seem quick to attack people for wondering if this is all were are going to see and he’s hit his ceiling

I'd hesitate to label a 22 year old's point totals as their ceiling. Seems awfully short-sighted. Is he going to get 90 points in a season at any point of his career? No, probably not. Is 25 goals and 55 assists something that I can imagine? Yeah, it is. At this point, he's doing all the little things right in terms of being a team-first player. If he was lost on the ice and getting secondary assists on dump-and-chase plays, I'd be concerned.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

It’s reasonable to think Sam isn’t living up to expectations of a 2OA pick, but not reasonable to say he hasn’t been playing well so far this season, or not playing upto his contract.

He’s been very impressive, despite the lack of goals...unless you’re the type of fan who only cares about goals. Which, I guess, is your prerogative.

Any team would love to add what Sam brings to their team.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I'd hesitate to label a 22 year old's point totals as their ceiling. Seems awfully short-sighted. Is he going to get 90 points in a season at any point of his career? No, probably not. Is 25 goals and 55 assists something that I can imagine? Yeah, it is. At this point, he's doing all the little things right in terms of being a team-first player. If he was lost on the ice and getting secondary assists on dump-and-chase plays, I'd be concerned.

It’s reasonable to think Sam isn’t living up to expectations of a 2OA pick, but not reasonable to say he hasn’t been playing well so far this season, or not playing upto his contract.

He’s been very impressive, despite the lack of goals...unless you’re the type of fan who only cares about goals. Which, I guess, is your prerogative.

Any team would love to add what Sam brings to their team.

I have no issue with his play. I take issue with people saying those of us who don’t see him as a consistent 1st line winger as wrong. He hasn’t proved he can put 82 solid games together yet and he may or may not.

I’m not Paul Hamilton when it comes to Sam. Paul hates the kid, I think he plays a very smart 2 way game but he is not dynamic. He reminds me of jochen Hecht and a younger pominville. Limited but consistent. It’s just is he a consistent 60+ producer or a mid 50s ceiling guy.

I’m sure with an uptick in scoring his numbers will go up, but will his % of team scoring increase or stay flat.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I have no issue with his play. I take issue with people saying those of us who don’t see him as a consistent 1st line winger as wrong. He hasn’t proved he can put 82 solid games together yet and he may or may not.

I’m not Paul Hamilton when it comes to Sam. Paul hates the kid, I think he plays a very smart 2 way game but he is not dynamic. He reminds me of jochen Hecht and a younger pominville. Limited but consistent. It’s just is he a consistent 60+ producer or a mid 50s ceiling guy.

I’m sure with an uptick in scoring his numbers will go up, but will his % of team scoring increase or stay flat.

I just read through the entire thread and didn’t see anyone arguing what you claim. There is only Beerz and 1972 insisting that he’s not playing well, and arguing with everyone who thinks he is.

You’re just making things up...arguing against something no one is saying.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I think it’s shortsighted to base if a player has “lived up to expectations” on a players draft position. :dunno:

Within objective reason. Sure. But to have a made up point total in your mind (and most have a different point total in their mind) and determine a label or description based on draft position. I find that lame.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I just read through the entire thread and didn’t see anyone arguing what you claim. There is only Beerz and 1972 insisting that he’s not playing well, and arguing with everyone who thinks he is.

You’re just making things up...arguing against something no one is saying.
Lol you’re bad at this. So taking the context of a week or less old thread and using that as the basis for discussion on a player who the sabres drafted 4 years ago is being willfully ignorant. That isn’t the only place Reinharts talent and production has been discussed.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Lol you’re bad at this. So taking the context of a week or less old thread and using that as the basis for discussion on a player who the sabres drafted 4 years ago is being willfully ignorant. That isn’t the only place Reinharts talent and production has been discussed.

So you are making a point in one thread as a response to a comment in another thread? That doesn't make sense. So you just concern-troll every thread with anti-Sam sentiments because of one comment in one thread?

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
The guy has to produce without needing Eichel. Everybody can produce with Eichel. If he can't do it without a crutch, he needs to be traded for somebody who can.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The guy has to produce without needing Eichel. Everybody can produce with Eichel. If he can't do it without a crutch, he needs to be traded for somebody who can.

Piggy, now apply that logic to 20 other players.

We should trade 80% of them then. Amirite?

Or does that logic only work if they are 1st round picks who play with Eichel?

Last edited:

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I don't think it's unimaginable or inconceivable at all for Sam to be a PPG or more at least once by 27. Sometimes I feel redundant posting this, but he's only 22. Not the finished product. He has 5 assists, do they not count as points now in 2018?

When I watch Sam, I see someone on the verge of breaking out, and a slowly developing player. He will prove a lot of people wrong who think his ceiling his only 60 pts with the right line-mates.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006

He produced fine with O'Reilly last year. He looked reasonably good on the second unit PP and with Sheary last game. I'm optimistic (though less so about Sobotka playing as well as he did vs the ducks).

The biggest thing with Sam is that he needs to play with talent to best realize his potential. Most of his top level talents are facilitative in nature and some he is relatively elite at (net front, passing).

Though he's shown in stretches that he can be successful being assertive, I think it's completely fair to say that's not his strongest suit.

Overall he's played relatively well this season (finishing aside), but I'd love to see that switch flip that we saw post New Year's last season to kick in abit earlier.

Trading him for anything other than a crazy haul would be pretty foolish.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
So you are making a point in one thread as a response to a comment in another thread? That doesn't make sense. So you just concern-troll every thread with anti-Sam sentiments because of one comment in one thread?
Wow try to follow along. Someone said in the GDT they think Sam scores his first which caused me to reply about his goal pace for the season. Relevant.

You claimed i posted something 2 minutes before in the Reinhart thread saying the same thing. Factually untrue.

You used a fresh Reinhart thread to base a generalization about 2 users feelings toward him when there is 4 years worth of discussion to go by instead. Willful ingnorance.

My concern trolling is actually you getting butt hurt someone doesn’t thing Sam is a stud until he proves it.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Piggy, now apply that logic to 20 other players.

We should trade 80% of them then. Amirite?

Or does that logic only work if they are 1st round picks who play with Eichel?

Nobody was talking about 8 year extentions for Draisaitl money for the other 80% just a few weeks ago.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Trading him for anything other than a crazy haul would be pretty foolish.
I don't think he's done anything to warrant a crazy haul. He's 9 games in now and has 0 goals. I think the next time a team is looking to switch out a Domi type player, a guy who would add a different dynamic but who still has some room under his ceiling, jump on it.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->