The Red Wings Draft Picks Tracker

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I'd like to see them give Andersson more picks in this draft. Our success rate in Europe seems a lot higher than North America for mid to late round picks. Just checked out of curiosity and these are our Europeans drafted recently.

2013: Janmark in the 3rd, Melen in the 7th
2012: Bodin in the 7th
2011: Backman in the 5th (likely bust, once very promising), Marchenko in the 7th
2010: Jarnkrok in the 2nd, Pulkkinen in the 4th
2009: Tatar in the 2nd, Almquist in the 7th
2008: Nyquist in the 4th, Jesper Samuelsson in the 7th
2007: Andersson in the 3rd
2006: was bad. Axelsson and Larsson and I'm just going to stop here.

Pretty much everyone we drafted out of Europe either panned out well or just couldn't take the final step like Pulkkinen and Backman. I posted about it before, but I'd really like them to go back to a more skill first approach when drafting in the mid rounds (when it comes to forwards).

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'd like to see them give Andersson more picks in this draft. Our success rate in Europe seems a lot higher than North America for mid to late round picks. Just checked out of curiosity and these are our Europeans drafted recently.

2013: Janmark in the 3rd, Melen in the 7th
2012: Bodin in the 7th
2011: Backman in the 5th (likely bust, once very promising), Marchenko in the 7th
2010: Jarnkrok in the 2nd, Pulkkinen in the 4th
2009: Tatar in the 2nd, Almquist in the 7th
2008: Nyquist in the 4th, Jesper Samuelsson in the 7th
2007: Andersson in the 3rd
2006: was bad. Axelsson and Larsson and I'm just going to stop here.

Pretty much everyone we drafted out of Europe either panned out well or just couldn't take the final step like Pulkkinen and Backman. I posted about it before, but I'd really like them to go back to a more skill first approach when drafting in the mid rounds (when it comes to forwards).
I knew taking Marchenko over Palat was a mistake. :sarcasm:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I don't even see why there's an argument here. We did alright on deadline day. We got lots of picks. Most of us would have preferred getting at least a first along with the thirds but it didn't happen. The thirds are still valuable. The Wings in particular have shown to be good at drafting in the mid-later rounds. Sure we're getting players like Nyquist and Athanasiou there but that's pretty good value if one of the thirds turns into that. Plus there's always the tiny chance we get really lucky and the player becomes a core piece.

Even if that doesn't happen, drafting depth players and secondary scoring is still valuable. We will need to do that too as we rebuild. Is drafting top 5 and getting a core piece more important? Absolutely but that doesn't mean those thirds are worthless.

Furthermore if there's a player that with wings really like and want to move up for (either by packaging our second and a couple of thirds for a first or a couple of thirds for a second etc.) having those extra picks let's us do that. Draft flexibility and being able to pick a guy management really wants instead of simply selecting BPA from a list you're not excited about offers value in itself.

We've set ourselves up nicely for this draft and laid ground-work for 2018. With some luck we'll start to build a core in these drafts. What's most important is that we're in this same position next year (and probably a couple of more years after that but it's "difficult to see. Always in motion is the future" - Yoda) and once again supplement our draft with more picks along with our own top 5 pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's not unable to look at the bright side. It's the ability to see that whilst it's good we have more picks those few later picks aren't going to change the future of the team without a willingness to actually rebuild.

Well a top 10 pick, and having 20 picks in the next 2 drafts is not a bad start?

Holland can say we're not re-building, but does that really matter if there are no impact UFA's this summer he can grab? I mean what's going to be different next year? I know some folks think a new coach will negate the fact that we don't have a #1 defenseman, and a very old #1 center on his last legs, but I really don't think it will matter that much. That's even if Holland moves on from Blashill, which I'm not all that sure he will.

So he can say he's hoping for better next year, but it doesn't mean he's gonna get it. As long as he isn't in denial if it doesn't happen, then whatever. He's probably just too proud to say they are in a transitional period.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
This place can be so negative.

More picks better odds at finding that diamond. We suck already so we are going to get that high end pick. We moved UFA junk and picked up how many picks? The market for more 1st round was not there for UFA junk, no matter how shiny it seemed to be for us.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It's not unable to look at the bright side. It's the ability to see that whilst it's good we have more picks those few later picks aren't going to change the future of the team without a willingness to actually rebuild.

Is it likely to move the needle? No, probably not.

Was it the right thing to do? Without question. If you can't sell off your pending UFAs you can't even think about rebuilding. This is the first real acknowledgement from management that we have a problem. I see this as the first of many steps that will lead us to an actual rebuild. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Furthermore, if people think that any draft pick that is unlikely to yield an elite talent is useless, we should probably just avoid showing up to the draft all together.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This place can be so negative.

More picks better odds at finding that diamond. We suck already so we are going to get that high end pick. We moved UFA junk and picked up how many picks? The market for more 1st round was not there for UFA junk, no matter how shiny it seemed to be for us.

Agreed. And it gives the Wings more assets to throw in on deals if they want to make trades.

No 3rd round picks aren't the greatest thing in the world, but more assets > fewer assets. And getting rid of Vanek, our second leading scorer, should help get the Wings a good pick in this years draft.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
You guys are severely misunderstanding the point here.

It's not that we shouldn't even bother, or should be happy we got some more picks to increase our odds. It's about being realistic. Great, we have a bunch of picks in the later rounds. Fantastic. I'd rather have that than not have em. But let's not delude ourselves into thinking we even have like a 20% chance of finding an impact player there. It's a total crapshoot and the odds are slim to none.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

It's not that we shouldn't even bother, or should be happy we got some more picks to increase our odds. It's about being realistic. Great, we have a bunch of picks in the later rounds. Fantastic. I'd rather have that than not have em. But let's not delude ourselves into thinking we even have like a 20% chance of finding an impact player there. It's a total crapshoot and the odds are slim to none.

No one is suggesting that we have a 20% chance of finding an impact player with those picks. All that has been said is that we have a greater chance with more picks.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

It's definitely a crapshoot. Hopefully this is the beginning of Holland making serious moves to address this team's major issues. But if he thinks a first round pick and a bunch of thirds along with some aging vets on short term deals are gonna turn this team around, it's gonna be a painful next several years.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Well a top 10 pick, and having 20 picks in the next 2 drafts is not a bad start?

Holland can say we're not re-building, but does that really matter if there are no impact UFA's this summer he can grab? I mean what's going to be different next year? I know some folks think a new coach will negate the fact that we don't have a #1 defenseman, and a very old #1 center on his last legs, but I really don't think it will matter that much. That's even if Holland moves on from Blashill, which I'm not all that sure he will.

So he can say he's hoping for better next year, but it doesn't mean he's gonna get it. As long as he isn't in denial if it doesn't happen, then whatever. He's probably just too proud to say they are in a transitional period.

Having that many draft picks is never a bad thing. It can't hurt the Wings. It can only help them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad