Speculation: The real question: Foxy vs. Faustie, who goes?

Who gets the axe this offseason?

• Total voters

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Wish there was a message board we could refer to from the time Bob took over from Jiggs McDonald when he was a young announcer. Who know what comments it would contain from existing fans used to the original voice.

I can't imagine the pressure Faust was under. It took a mountain of courage to take hold of this mike, probably knowing he would receive mostly negative reviews early on. Imagine how self conscious you would be.

He absolutely needs more seasoning and rounding out. Give the boy a chance and some credit, even if he's not your cup of tea right now.

Regarding Fox's homerism, does anyone find it's more noticeable now than in the 90's and early 2000's? I keep wondering if it's a relatively recent network policy to pump up your crowd and market star players. It's especially noticeable during player interviews with the statutory "isn't Quicky fabulous" and "wow, what about Drew" questions.

Regardless, Jim Fox is an essential part of the Kings experience for me. Love the guy, he genuinely cares and is part of the fabric.

#papafaust

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Their banter seems clunky and forced. Their little one liners back and forth are a big zilch. Fox is definitely asserting himself more. I prefer the understated version of Jim and that’s not what we’re getting now. Normally the PbP announcer is the “alpha” and this doesn’t feel that way. Hopefully it can work out because Jim’s analysis is usually pretty damn good IMO. If I were Jim, I’d leave the blatant homerism to Hayward, stop the constant ball washing of certain players, cool it with the puppy yelping noises after big plays, and let Alex be the #1.

I think Faust is fine. He’s replacing a PbP legend while constantly deferring to a long tenured color man. No way to win.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
Anyone have a clip as to what happened? I didn’t pay much attention to the post game since it seemed like a bunch of lip service.

I’m in favor of ditching both and swapping in the radio crew. Nick Nickson and Daryl Evans are eons better than the TV crew.

Nickson was offered the job and passed.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
That **** between the two of them at the end of the last game was awkward as hell, seems like something has to give.

Foxy

Pros
  • Been with the Kings for forever
  • Seems like a genuinely good dude
Cons
  • Total homer
  • Has become unlistenable since 2014
Faustie

Pros

• Fresh, young voice
  • No baggage with the org

Cons

• Sounds like Jack Edwards
  • Talks too much about bull****, doesn't call the game enough
This has been polarizing all year for a lot of Kings fans, so I ask the question: Who should get the boot?

Fox once Miller retired tried to be the lead and that never works with the color guy.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I've met Foxy a number of times and you'll be hard pressed to find a more genuinely friendly and gracious person, a lot like Miller.
Absolutely, Jim Fox has been our greatest ambassador for the LA Kings.

Unfortunately it has impacted his broadcasts. Over the last several years he has put a heavier and heavier emphasis on the feelings of the audience over the call of the game. I know there is audience for that, but it's not me - not even close, and I find it very difficult to listen to him now.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
I didn't see the post game "incident" referenced here. I'm guessing much ado about nothing. No chance either goes. I think Faust did a pretty amazing job considering his age and the fact he was replacing a legend. He will only get better with time. Laughable to compare him to Edwards. I didn't notice a big difference in Fox from prior seasons. I know his vocal style annoys some people but I think from a technical standpoint he is one of the very best analysts in the game. Always goes out of his way to explain and analyze both sides of any close call.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
I just hate fox, so if hes reading this tone it down. You've past Hayward level of homer. Its frustrating, I have to actively find other ways to watch the game because of you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->