The Real-Life Diet of Mark Scheifele

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Make food preparation / acquisition complicated and constrain dietary choice and timing and you often end up consuming fewer calories. As long as you get the essential nutrients and micronutrients (which is hard not to do with most western diets), you will be healthy.

Imposing regimens and having discipline tend to be good things when it comes to diet, regardless of the rationale behind it.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I never said it was harmful. I infact pointed out how many diets have some positive influences although they erroneously evaluate why that is.

Also: good < better < best.

Something can not be harmful but still negative relative to optimal.

For example: optimally, if you want to maximize protein intake (which is probably the second most important thing for an athlete after getting the appropriate calories), you would likely not be following Scheifele’s nonsense about not eating after a certain time...

I believe you can consume your needed protein and calories in a day, prior to 9 pm at night, without losing any benefit of smaller more regular consumption. Its not like he is cutting intake at 6pm. Mark being the keaner he is, is probably sleeping earlier than most, so his 9 pm might be most peoples 10 or 11pm.

He may have worded it incorrectly, by saying your body doesn’t burn calories while you sleep. But its that burning of calories that can have negative effects on your sleep and the more calories to burn the harder your body has to work, which can make for a bad sleep.

Not eating before a certain time before you go to bed to maintain a solid sleep is a smart and healthy practice supported by many top doctors. If you cannot get your calories in prior to 9 pm, start earlier.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I thought Scheifele’s diet had the staples of a smart diet. Natural ingredients, fresh veggies and fruits, and necessary protein. The bells and whistles he spoke about are neither a positive or negative.

Is drinking water with lemon at all negaitive to your body? Is refraining from eating later in the evening a bad thing?

Both are healthy things for you, aka hydration and healthy sleeping (proven large meals prior to sleeping will have negative effects on sleep).

To me, if it also provides a placebo effect that has a positive influence on their body, there is no harm in it. His detail to a positive diet is the most important factor here.
there's a difference between saying "lemon and water won't have a negative effect, so why not do it?" versus "lemon water will detoxify your liver and help you digest as is a must for any healthy living lifestyle."

there's also harm in non-athletes spending their hard-earned money on "Nutritionists" who petal this kind of huey.

and i still think there are untold negative health issues that arise from high protein diets. it goes against current data that states that diets high in red meat put you at risk for heart attack, stroke and colon cancer.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
there's a difference between saying "lemon and water won't have a negative effect, so why not do it?" versus "lemon water will detoxify your liver and help you digest as is a must for any healthy living lifestyle."

there's also harm in non-athletes spending their hard-earned money on "Nutritionists" who petal this kind of huey.

and i still think there are untold negative health issues that arise from high protein diets. it goes against current data that states that diets high in red meat put you at risk for heart attack, stroke and colon cancer.
When you say “harm” what are we talking about here? Someone getting heartburn from to much acidity?

As for protein concerns, the defacto consumption has ranged for years, give it a year and some new study will tell us otherwise.
Also highly doubt Scheif’s protein intake is of red meat, most likely poultry and fish.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Well whatever works for him I guess. That kind of strict diet would drive me bonkers. I recall hearing a recent interview with Wayne Gretzky on the differences between an athlete then and now. It was essentially the nutrition and training has changed drastically "back then, we would have a can of Coke and a Mr. Big to get our energy levels back up between periods" lol
I remember during Hawerchuk's first or second year, John Ferguson was lamenting in the Free Press that his young, single players were eating fast food all the time and it was hurting their play. That's when the Jets hired a nutritionist (or whatever they were called in the early 80's).

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I remember during Hawerchuk's first or second year, John Ferguson was lamenting in the Free Press that his young, single players were eating fast food all the time and it was hurting their play. That's when the Jets hired a nutritionist (or whatever they were called in the early 80's).

I was working at a Wendy's back in the day, and while working there, there was a Jets' rookie that came into the store all the time and he would order a Triple burger / fries / drink combo every time. His name... Thomas Steen.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I was working at a Wendy's back in the day, and while working there, there was a Jets' rookie that came into the store all the time and he would order a Triple burger / fries / drink combo every time. His name... Thomas Steen.

Well, as long as it was a diet drink, that's OK. :sarcasm:

Reactions: cbcwpg

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

They were called food guys back then.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think the amount a lot of those players smoked was worse than what they ate. I remember sitting next to Phil Housley and Brett Hull at the old Grapes on Main after a game... they must have had four cigerettes each during the hour or so I was there.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
How so?
Lemons are fairly cheap, healthy natural food costs more but is a cost associated with any healthy diet.
Besides that, what cost was associated to what he spoke about?

He's not talking about the cost of lemons. He's talking about people falling for shit like this:
EverlyWell: At Home Food Sensitivity Test - Results You Can Understand

For someone in Scheif's tax bracket, stuff like this is nothing. But when lower income people start being drawn in by celebrity endorsements, and start losing a noticeable chunk of their take home pay to such "programs", that's where the financial harm comes into play.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
How so?
Lemons are fairly cheap, healthy natural food costs more but is a cost associated with any healthy diet.
Besides that, what cost was associated to what he spoke about?

Most people could probably eat much healthier and cheaper than they do. Chicken, rice and cheapest vegetable (whatever it happens to be in the season) will get you most of the way there.

Toss in fish about once a week, some basic salads, bread etc. Eat at the same time every day.

It’s little more complicated for atheletes but for rest of us it’s not.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I never said it was harmful. I infact pointed out how many diets have some positive influences although they erroneously evaluate why that is.

Also: good < better < best.

Something can not be harmful but still negative relative to optimal.

For example: optimally, if you want to maximize protein intake (which is probably the second most important thing for an athlete after getting the appropriate calories), you would likely not be following Scheifele’s nonsense about not eating after a certain time...

Dr.F. Hatfield A.K.A.Dr.Squat would disagree with the meal timing last paragraph.
Edit he can’t anymore.
Passed last year.
He has written books on training and diets for athletes.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Dr.F. Hatfield A.K.A.Dr.Squat would disagree with the meal timing last paragraph.
Edit he can’t anymore.
Passed last year.
He has written books on training and diets for athletes.

You're going to take nutrition advice from someone that only lived to the age of 74? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->