The Real-Life Diet of Mark Scheifele

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Scheif is always looking for that extra bit of competitive edge, right? He's eating well and eating what makes him feel good and feel sharp. Of course he'll take it past what might seem necessary to most people. That nerdiness is part of what makes him great!

There's a difference between being nerdy and being gullible.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Well the negativity is high this morning...

As far as I am concerned what ever helps any Winnipeg Jets feel better and stronger is fine by me...

Go Sheifele Go

On a personal note I am currently on day 15 of a water fast (no food) and I feel great I also quit smoking since it can literally kill you after day 5 when fasting and quitting smoking while fasting was easy...
i am looking into doing something like this also! how long did it take to get over the hunger and what supplements do u need? 15 days .. impressive

nm going to read lounge

None

Feb 22, 2012
Anyone remember Q-Ray bracelets? Same pyramid scheme BS as the "BioMat" that the article mentions. Around ~$2000CAD for a foam layered mat with a few flakes of amethyst woven in.

The genetic nutrition testing is more iffy, but studies have shown that the current testing is the same type of quackery. There really isn't any proper research into the topic because it isn't a concern in nutrition science.
Studying whether or not eggs affect someone's ability to recover after an exercise isn't the type of study that's going to get funding, and companies that are selling a service to people aren't going to fund a study that'll prove their service is useless, assuming they could even afford to run a study with clinical significance.
Here's a somewhat related study led by Chris Gardner, PhD. The gist of the study is that they identified 3 gene mutations that they thought they could influence using curated diets that would lead to more effective weight loss using one diet vs the other. The results showed that there was no evidence that either diet worked more than the other with participants from either group (with or without the mutations). This was a high-budget study that they expected would give different results. The point of linking to this was to show that even when they're actively looking for a link between genetics and nutrition they still weren't able to prove the effectiveness of a diet targeting genetic factors.

Not to say the diet Scheifele uses doesn't work, but the genetic side of it, and food sensitivity testing is bogus with regards to our current understanding. The BioMat pseudoscience is the cherry on top.

On a sidenote, I've heard that Gary Roberts pushes a lot of the genetic testing as part of his nutrition plans, and that it's part of the reason why a lot of players get driven out.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sounds like Schiefele is largely eating a plant-based diet. I've been vegan for 3 years. I'm a 55-year old amateur bodybuilder and have never felt stronger or had more stamina (in every way you can imagine...no little blue pills required) Don't believe this works? You don't have to take my word for it: Home | The Game Changers

Is this a propaganda bot? Scheifele himself said that his diet Contains plenty of meat.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
All I know is that this latest gluten-free fad has really driven demand for the variety of products that my actually celiac aunt now enjoys.

Whatever works for Schiefs fan, as long as he doesn't follow blindly.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Is this a propaganda bot? Scheifele himself said that his diet Contains plenty of meat.
Nice try. Bot? Read my posts. Educate yourself before making a comment like that. Just sharing my experience. And from the article, he has introduced more plant-based food into his diet. Science supports the benefits. Chose to ignore if you want I don't give a flying fork. It was the best decision I've ever made for my health. Cheers!

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Lotsa supposed nutritionist on twitter questioning the practices of an actual professional, which find hilarious.

The staple of his diet is to eat healthy non processed food high in nutritional value. Nothing out of the ordinary here, and nothing but positives for a young player to follow a healthy diet as religiously as he does.

If he believes certain ingredients work better with his biological makeup than others, and feels a difference in his energy, than its real to him and who are we to judge?

There have been hundreds of nutritional diets pimped out as the defacto diets to follow, over the past decade, each a variation of another. I find it funny that some are adamantly blasting Scheif for talking about his, as though he is way off in left field.

Reactions: Saidin and KingBogo

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Doing the right things for wrong reasons. A little bit. Kinda. He's eating good stuff, no problems. All that toxin stuff is silly though.

A lot of diets and fads gain traction because of this...

They generally limit people from eating the super calorie dense and micronutrient lacking foods they are accustomed to, and cause them to improve as a byproduct.

It’s why both low carb / high fat and high carb / low fat diets work equally well for losing fat or health provided calories, fibre, and protein are equated for (ignoring potential genetic diseases one may have).

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Lotsa supposed nutritionist on twitter questioning the practices of an actual professional, which find hilarious.

The staple of his diet is to eat healthy non processed food high in nutritional value. Nothing out of the ordinary here, and nothing but positives for a young player to follow a healthy diet as religiously as he does.

If he believes certain ingredients work better with his biological makeup than others, and feels a difference in his energy, than its real to him and who are we to judge?

There have been hundreds of nutritional diets pimped out as the defacto diets to follow, over the past decade, each a variation of another. I find it funny that some are adamantly blasting Scheif for talking about his, as though he is way off in left field.

There’s a lot of actual nutrition experts that will point that Scheifele is falling for a lot of flat earth, anti vaccine, type pseudo science.

Dr Mike Israetel and Dr Brad Schoenfeld are two experts I’d suggest looking up. Their life research is debunking and discovering what actually optimizes athletic performance. Much of the debunking is on things Scheifele has fallen for.

As an aside: I know New Jersey Devils have used Dr Schoenfeld to speak to their team.

Last edited:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
There’s a lot of actual nutrition experts hat will point that Scheifele is falling for a lot of flat earth, anti vaccine, type pseudo science.

Dr Mike Israetel and Dr Brad Schoenfeld are two experts I’d suggest looking up. Their life research is debunking and discovering what actually optimizes athletic performance. Much of the debunking is on things Scheifele has fallen for.

As an aside: I know New Jersey Devils have used Dr Schoenfeld to speak to their team.

When we say he is falling for pseudoscience, are we implying he is actually doing something negative to his body, or that it might not have as high of a positive impact as he believes?

If the latter, is that a negative?

I do not believe any of his nutritional beliefs are unhealthy or extreme. I also have seen and heard hundreds of variations of the best nutritional plans over the years, everyone has its supporters and detractors. They all have been proven and disproven over the years.

Not saying your suggested doctors arent legit, but there seems to be more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to the science of nutrition.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Nice try. Bot? Read my posts. Educate yourself before making a comment like that. Just sharing my experience. And from the article, he has introduced more plant-based food into his diet. Science supports the benefits. Chose to ignore if you want I don't give a flying fork. It was the best decision I've ever made for my health. Cheers!

Science supports the benefit of more plant based foods, but predominately due to being high fibre and high micro nutrient density relative, and low calorie, relative to volume. Over consumption of anything isn’t good for you -dosage makes the poison-, but good luck over consuming carrots vs over consuming a cheese burger.

Diet has a lot more due to the micro and macro nutritional make up and not the source of the nutrients. You *could* live a very healthy lifestyle eating a candy bar a day provided the rest of your diet accounts for it... just easier to eat less chocolate bars than to adjust your diet accordingly.

At least, that’s what it seems like currently...

Most studies showing the benefits of a full vegan or vegetarian diet are full of confounding variables as they are general correlation studies. The average vegan also smokes less, makes more money, eats less food out from home, lives a more active lifestyle, and is generally more concious of how they eat and love on how it effects them. It’s tough to tell if *nutritionally* there is any benefit to veganism or vegetarianism once you adjust for those factors. It’s even more so unknown whether or not an optimal diet would or even need to include animal products.

It could, or it could not. The most likely answer seems and there seems to be general consensus with evidence based experts, currently what matters most is calorie consumption. Second is macronutrient and fibre consumption. Third is micro nutrition. Once you get to that meal timing and food source quality becomes small factors but could tip you one way or the other slightly.

Now from an economical and environmental impact I would agree the science is a lot more certain there. It’s why I usually go vegan for 1-2 months a year... I don’t have the will power or drive to do much more and which is why I have huge respect for those that do. So big props to you for doing that. I powerlift (hobby not competitively), not bodybuild, so I don’t have as strict diet as you would but I know how hard that is! I remember my first time doing it, it was tough to get used to all the fibre hahahah!

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
When we say he is falling for pseudoscience, are we implying he is actually doing something negative to his body, or that it might not have as high of a positive impact as he believes?

If the latter, is that a negative?

I do not believe any of his nutritional beliefs are unhealthy or extreme. I also have seen and heard hundreds of variations of the best nutritional plans over the years, everyone has its supporters and detractors. They all have been proven and disproven over the years.

Not saying your suggested doctors arent legit, but there seems to be more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to the science of nutrition.

Falling for pseudoscience as in doing things for reasons that don’t actually exist. Lemons don’t detox you. Your body doesn’t stop digesting food after a certain time. These testible facts.

Many diet fads have come and gone yes, but mostly all for the same reason... paleo, Atkins, zone, vegan, gluten free... they all ended up causing people to lose weight because the restrictions in their diet caused them to eat fewer calories.

When you look for one study, yes you can find some odd things... but when you look at larger meta analysis of multiple research consensus and patterns arise.

Reactions: Inflict

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I see a lot of posts asking what's the harm if it works for him? The harm is is that people are being scammed for thousands of dollars by this nonsense and having athletes like Scheifele promote this does nothing but line the pockets of these POS companies who couldn't care less if this stuff works or not. It just leads to more and more bullshit and more misinformation to confuse people. It does real harm to society and it should concern everyone.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So Scheifele, is more fit than 100% of posters here. He is consistently within the top couple most fit Jets. Reading through the article nothing was extreme or unusual and from what I could tell he hits on all necessary food items in a natural and unprocessed way, and I'm guessing he has optimal levels of all necessary nutrients. Would we prefer he eat Cheetos for breakfast and down a fatboy and fries with a coke at lunch and then order an extra cheese pizza and a 6 pack for supper? Who cares if he does a genetic test for foods he believes his body digests best? And some people do genetic tests on the mutt they get from a rescue shelter.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So Scheifele, is more fit than 100% of posters here. He is consistently within the top couple most fit Jets. Reading through the article nothing was extreme or unusual and from what I could tell he hits on all necessary food items in a natural and unprocessed way, and I'm guessing he has optimal levels of all necessary nutrients. Would we prefer he eat Cheetos for breakfast and down a fatboy and fries with a coke at lunch and then order an extra cheese pizza and a 6 pack for supper? Who cares if he does a genetic test for foods he believes his body digests best? And some people do genetic tests on the mutt they get from a rescue shelter.

Scheifele has money to waste and he is free to do what he pleases. His diet is not free from criticism however. Some of the stuff he does is just as effective as homeopathy or going to a psychic to tell him what foods he should or should not eat.

For me personally, this has less to do with Scheifele and more to do with the influence this might have on others. This just adds to the mass misinformation when it comes to health and people might actually buy into this and spend large amounts of money that they might not have or would be better spent elsewhere.

Reactions: Naturaledge

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele has money to waste and he is free to do what he pleases. His diet is not free from criticism however. Some of the stuff he does is just as effective as homeopathy or going to a psychic to tell him what foods he should or should not eat.

For me personally, this has less to do with Scheifele and more to do with the influence this might have on others. This just adds to the mass misinformation when it comes to health and people might actually buy into this and spend large amounts of money that they might not have or would be better spent elsewhere.
I understand your point though I think it is over stated. There is nothing Sheifele does nutritionally that isn't healthy. The vast majority of people would be far better to spend a few hundred dollars on a genetics test and stay away from the foods flagged then continue with their current diet. There is actually some validity to genetic testing, but it is far more complex with too many variables to be of much use to most people. Other then for the physiological benefit that most people are more likely to stick to a healthy eating regime if they believe it has been optimized for them individually.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Falling for pseudoscience as in doing things for reasons that don’t actually exist. Lemons don’t detox you. Your body doesn’t stop digesting food after a certain time. These testible facts.

Many diet fads have come and gone yes, but mostly all for the same reason... paleo, Atkins, zone, vegan, gluten free... they all ended up causing people to lose weight because the restrictions in their diet caused them to eat fewer calories.

When you look for one study, yes you can find some odd things... but when you look at larger meta analysis of multiple research consensus and patterns arise.

I thought Scheifele’s diet had the staples of a smart diet. Natural ingredients, fresh veggies and fruits, and necessary protein. The bells and whistles he spoke about are neither a positive or negative.

Is drinking water with lemon at all negaitive to your body? Is refraining from eating later in the evening a bad thing?

Both are healthy things for you, aka hydration and healthy sleeping (proven large meals prior to sleeping will have negative effects on sleep).

To me, if it also provides a placebo effect that has a positive influence on their body, there is no harm in it. His detail to a positive diet is the most important factor here.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
PFFFT! Bunch of fools all of you!

I am now off to the grocery store to begin my journey on Gwyneth Paltrow's diet. Wish me and my wallet good luck!:sarcasm:

The world would be a better place if you simply ate Gwyneth Paltrow. Although, I think she would pair better with Pinot Grigio than Chianti, and there is no good reason to ever eat fava beans. :nod:

Reactions: Naturaledge

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I thought Scheifele’s diet had the staples of a smart diet. Natural ingredients, fresh veggies and fruits, and necessary protein. The bells and whistles he spoke about are neither a positive or negative.

Is drinking water with lemon at all negaitive to your body? Is refraining from eating later in the evening a bad thing?

Both are healthy things for you, aka hydration and healthy sleeping (proven large meals prior to sleeping will have negative effects on sleep).

To me, if it also provides a placebo effect that has a positive influence on their body, there is no harm in it. His detail to a positive diet is the most important factor here.

I never said it was harmful. I infact pointed out how many diets have some positive influences although they erroneously evaluate why that is.

Also: good < better < best.

Something can not be harmful but still negative relative to optimal.

For example: optimally, if you want to maximize protein intake (which is probably the second most important thing for an athlete after getting the appropriate calories), you would likely not be following Scheifele’s nonsense about not eating after a certain time...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad