Player Discussion "The Real Deal" James Neal

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think people are underestimating Neal. Hudler had 76 points one time playing with Gaudreau and Monahan, and those two helped set career highs for a bunch of other lesser wingers. This guy can shoot and can shoot it well, something the Flames were sorely lacking last year. Protects the puck well and can make plays along the boards, pain in the ass for the other team, and definitely some winning pedigree. Think he's going to have a great year.

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Loved him on the Pens, only negative is he can take some real stupid penalties. Him and Tkachuk will be great, because they will give the top 2 lines that pesty, under your skin player, who will also burn you if you give them time and space. Hes what that top line has been missing for awhile.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Loved him on the Pens, only negative is he can take some real stupid penalties. Him and Tkachuk will be great, because they will give the top 2 lines that pesty, under your skin player, who will also burn you if you give them time and space. Hes what that top line has been missing for awhile.
He's starting on the 2nd line and I think is a better fit there.

Reasoning for Lindholm on the top and Neal on the second lines.
- Lindholm will bring more defensive awareness to the top line.
- Gaudreau and Monahan are both 30 goal scorers, a pure playmaker will benefit both of them.
- Tkachuk and Backlund are both more of the playmaker type, so a pure shooter will benefit them
- Tkachuk has the hands and drive to get to the net to bury the rebounds Neal will generate.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Looking forward to having Neal on the Flames anemic power play.

A line with Tkachuk and Neal is going to raise hell out there. Both are the type of players that the opposition really hates to play against. Just nasty!!
Prior to Neal joining the 2nd line, which is where it sounds like he'll play, the line was called the Flames shut down - checking line. Now I'm sure it will just be known as the very Dangerous Sh*t Disturbing line. The DSD line for short.

Hoorah!!!

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
James Neal sees optimal fit on Flames' top line - Sportsnet.ca

The question now is who he’ll play with.

"I’ll go where I fit in," said Neal when asked if he expected to play on the right side of the top line with Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan.

"We’ll see where everything falls, but I’m looking forward to getting a chance to play with those top guys. They’re great players who make great plays. For me to come in here and be a shooter and get open, I think it’d be a good fit."

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I think people are underestimating Neal. Hudler had 76 points one time playing with Gaudreau and Monahan, and those two helped set career highs for a bunch of other lesser wingers. This guy can shoot and can shoot it well, something the Flames were sorely lacking last year. Protects the puck well and can make plays along the boards, pain in the ass for the other team, and definitely some winning pedigree. Think he's going to have a great year.

I agree.

To me, he was our biggest immediate impact acquisition over the off-season. Hopefully he delivers!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
James Neal sees optimal fit on Flames' top line - Sportsnet.ca
The question now is who he’ll play with.
"I’ll go where I fit in," said Neal when asked if he expected to play on the right side of the top line with
Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan.
"We’ll see where everything falls, but I’m looking forward to getting a chance to play with those top guys. They’re great players who make great plays. For me to come in here and be a shooter and get open, I think it’d be a good fit."

Reactions: Sk8M8

Wish You Were Here

Mar 14, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'm hearing that Peters wants Lindholm (C/RW) on the Top line to take some of Monahan's face-offs. Elias has averaged over 55% on the dot the last two seasons.
I'm not sure that is necessary as Monahan's FO% has risen during each of his first 4 seasons, only dropping 1.06% last year due to his wrist injury. He's been over 50% the last 3 seasons in a row.

I think that Lindholm would be of more aid on the 2nd line, as Backlund has never had a FO% over 48.34.
Ryan (C/RW) could be another option for that line, again to take some face-offs for Backlund. Derek's career FO average is over 56%.
Also, if the 2nd line continues to take on the most difficult defensive assignments, I believe that both Lindholm and Ryan can play better defense than Neal.

I feel that Neal will fit best at RW on the Top line. He'll bring grit, solid board work, and another sniper to that trio.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I'm hearing that Peters wants Lindholm (C/RW) on the Top line to take some of Monahan's face-offs. Elias has averaged over 55% on the dot the last two seasons.
I'm not sure that is necessary as Monahan's FO% has risen during each of his first 4 seasons, only dropping 1.06% last year due to his wrist injury. He's been over 50% the last 3 seasons in a row.

I think that Lindholm would be of more aid on the 2nd line, as Backlund has never had a FO% over 48.34.
Ryan (C/RW) could be another option for that line, again to take some face-offs for Backlund. Derek's career FO average is over 56%.
Also, if the 2nd line continues to take on the most difficult defensive assignments, I believe that both Lindholm and Ryan can play better defense than Neal.

I feel that Neal will fit best at RW on the Top line. He'll bring grit, solid board work, and another sniper to that trio.
The faceoff this is to start the yearas Monahan had offseason wrist surgery

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The faceoff this is to start the yearas Monahan had offseason wrist surgery
Yeah, I don't think having Lindholm take faceoffs for Monahan has anything to do with Monahan's FO win %. Its more of a just in case, during preseason and possibly early in the regular season, if Mony's wrist isn't as strong as he thinks it is. Backlund needs more help taking faceoffs than Monahan does, providing Mony's wrist is back to being 100%

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Yeah, I don't think having Lindholm take faceoffs for Monahan has anything to do with Monahan's FO win %. Its more of a just in case, during preseason and possibly early in the regular season, if Mony's wrist isn't as strong as he thinks it is. Backlund needs more help taking faceoffs than Monahan does, providing Mony's wrist is back to being 100%
It's also to gain possession. Peters believes FOs are important, so increasing the odds of our top line winning the draw and getting possession is a priority

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->