The Ratings Thread - a lot of people watched wrestling on Super Tuesday, sort of

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I am pretty sure they don't do a replay.

Don’t think they do a replay other than the network one. If they do, wasn’t enough to be in the top 150.

Yeah NXT doesn’t have a replay
WWE aired a special 1-hour replay of last week's NXT prior to this week's episode. Not sure if that's going to be a normal thing.

They did one hour version of the previous week's show before this week's show and then did full replay right after. I even commented on it in the NXT thread.

NXT Part 7: The USA Era Has Begun!

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Can someone in a nutshell explain to me the importance of the demo.

Say AEW was in 3rd in Demo, but with 850K views, while NXT was 20th in Demo but 600K views.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Say AEW was in 3rd in Demo, but with 850K views, while NXT was 20th in Demo but 600K views.

I personally don't think there is much stock to it as some other users think. I think the overall number is the focus and it seemed like that's what Tony Khan wanted to focus on in general. The breakdown is nice, but the overall number is massively more important.

That's at least what it seems from a network perspective and how Khan briefly discussed. The drops have been pretty bad. Hoping to see an uptick.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

NXT is over with 50+ guys

18-49 is key as they are the ones who put money into a product

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

$$$$$$$

Basically the key demo is what advertisers look at when they are buying commercials. You can have 2 shows and let's say Show A has double the amount of viewers as Show B but show B has more in the key demo, and advertiser trying to market something to that key group will most likely find show B more desirable to buy ads on

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I personally don't think there is much stock to it as some other users think. I think the overall number is the focus and it seemed like that's what Tony Khan wanted to focus on in general. The breakdown is nice, but the overall number is massively more important.

That's at least what it seems from a network perspective and how Khan briefly discussed. The drops have been pretty bad. Hoping to see an uptick.

NXT is over with 50+ guys

18-49 is key as they are the ones who put money into a product

$$$$$$$

Basically the key demo is what advertisers look at when they are buying commercials. You can have 2 shows and let's say Show A has double the amount of viewers as Show B but show B has more in the key demo, and advertiser trying to market something to that key group will most likely find show B more desirable to buy ads on

Thanks for the clarification :)

TV Ratings Friday: ‘Hawaii Five-O’ stays strong, ‘Dateline’ recovers

Smackdown 2.54M viewers

I believe that is slightly better then week 3, which has to be somewhat promising

I think the major reason it got higher viewers than the last 2-3 weeks is because people were wondering what was happening with the Saudi Arabia plane issue, and what the hell Smackdown would look like without its majority of stars. I wonder if the numbers dropped off or rose in the second half.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008

Advertisers pay more for 18-49 demographic since old people are saving their retirement money and when someone has used the same product for thirty years the ads are not going to change their mind.

When it comes to network shows and renewals/cancellations the only number that matters is 18-49. Some of these CBS procedurals get high viewer ratings due to the audience being old as f*** but aren't considered major hits. However I'm not sure if wrestling takes the same approach or whether they see value in the total viewers. For example for PPV buys my assumption is old is actually better. I think the torrenting is most likely very bad for $50 AEW PPVs based on their young nerd audience.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Seth Rollins last hour did 1.75m viewers. LOL! WHAT A TERRIBLE DRAW.

The 18-49 demo is sought after because that's the beer market. That's the steak market. That's the Old Navy market. They want those viewers so they can get advertising money from these companies. The 50+ viewers shows like Rachel Maddow, Tucker Carlson have way more overall viewers but they are all old farts. They will not attract a certain advertising. If there is a bidding war for advertising it raises the overall price per 30 seconds.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
The 50+ are probably the last gen which watches tv as we did 10 years ago. That's why advertisers focus so much on the younger people. If they watch something it's because they wanna watch it especially live

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Looks like nxt passed aew in ratings this week but aew had the better demo.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Looks like nxt passed aew in ratings this week but aew had the better demo.

not too surprising with the way they pushed the invade nxt stuff on raw. Will be intresting to see once survivor series is over what happens unless they keep this angle going

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Finally found this thread. Should keep it higher each time they go against each other.

WWE didn’t get what they were looking for here. Lost in the demo and AEW actually gained overall from an all-time low last week. They even replayed smackdown.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Man, wrestling has really fell off the radar in America. I know Smackdown has the excuse of airing on a different channel this week (and a channel that never charts unless it has a marquee sports game), but those AEW numbers are borderline embarrassing.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I know Smackdown won comfortably in overall viewers, but as a marketing person who loves to look at underlying numbers and build strategies based on those, I think Friday was a HUGE win for AEW. Not in the sense that they will put Vince out of business or become a bigger company then AEW, but in terms of WHO their viewership is and that, despite Vince counter-programming them, they came up on top at the end of the day in the metrics that matter most to the sustainability of their business.

Cornette said that TK was stupid for putting Danielson on YT on a show called "the Buy In" when AEW had nothing to sell. I think it was a brilliant move. AEW wanted to win the demo and putting a big star on YouTube would draw people in the demo away from Smackdown. I am not saying the impact was massive, but it was big enough to reduce Smackdown's results in the demo, earning AEW the tie.

• Rampage was a bigger world-wide trend on Twitter than Smackdown.
  • Head-to-head from 10h00 to 10h30, AEW won in the demo.
  • Ruby Soho vs The Bunny TIED Brock Lesnar and Roman Reigns in the demo.
  • AEW tied WWE in the demo for the entirety of the programs

It reinforces the fact that more young people care about AEW than they do WWE. WWE can keep winning big in older demos all they want, but their audience keep aging and they do not bring in new viewers. It is concerning. They are doing similar numbers to AEW in the demo... and WWE has been around for decades, they have a much more established brand. AEW has been around not even 3 years and they JUST got stars people outside of the wrestling bubble know. They are also the better work environment and WWE has doubled down on steroid heads and talentless bimbos. If anything, Friday shows how both companies are trending. One is trending up, the other is trending down. One draws in younger people, the other doesn't despite being a much larger brand with a more established following.

So, if I am Tony Khan, I continue doing what I am doing and I do not pay attention to WWE... unless they come for me directly like they did on Friday. The mistake Bischoff made back in the day was to be obsessed with beating Vince. Beating Vince does not matter, building a sustainable business does. AEW is slowly going that, I hope they keep doing it and do not get in a stupid war.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad