The Rangers toughest player is.......

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Kurtenbach
upload_2021-2-17_14-15-56.png

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
No Domi, or Boogie? Toughest guy now sadly is Buchnevich. He got knocked around but he walked the walk. He is a target for the Bruins after generating that meme we all love.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
All time? That I've seen. Toughest, not necessarily the best fighters.

Ron Harris, Reg Fleming and George McPhee.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Dan Girardi was a tough guy....always played hurt and blocked shot after shot and had to face Ovie in so many games and he was crushed by him so many times.....now he was TOUGH !!! Fighting wise with skill....Graves and Hadfield .

Reactions: eco's bones

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Tie Domi and Darren Langdon were the 2 toughest players I have seen in a NYR sweater. Best fighters? Nope... Toughest, yep!

Best fighters were Kocur and Fotiu.

1) Joey Kocur
#26 is the best NY Rangers ever had from a tough or pugilistic standpoint. He was so good with the right hand that even the biggest penalty min leaders of the time would consistently duck him. He actually threw punches with such evil intentions that he literally cracked multiple players helmets. He fought 39 times in a Rangers sweater, and rarely lost a fight. Most of the times, the opposition would hang on and try not to get hit. Even Tony Twist wouldnt open up against him. The argument is there for Fotiu as well but he didn't have the fight card, nor the decisive wins that Kocur had. Kocur as a NYR fought Probert, Grimson, McSorley, Laus, May, Berube, Baumgartner, Vukota etc. Never ducked anyone. If you were to ask, 10 players from late 80's to the mid 90's, 3 players mor then anyone else would be mentioned. Bob Probert, Dave Brown and Joe Kocur. Orobabyl the only NYR players to crack the top 10 all time fighters list for the NHL.

2) Nick Fotiu
Nicky was right behind Kocur. More of a technical fighter, then Kocur was. Fotiu also didn't lose too many. Nicky claim to fame was that he bested Behn Wilson. Wilson went on to dominate the NHL in the fisticuff department for like a full decade. Nicky blasted him with a right hand that stunned him and the zebras came in. In addition to that Fotiu also had a heavy reputation. He played in an era where he needed to have that rep. I think at time however Fotiu's fight card was a little suspect. The great NYR/NYI matchups. Who were the two biggest enforcers in NYI Islanders history? Gillies and Nystrom. In Nicky's years as a NYR he fought the Gord Lane's of the world but wouldn't go with Gillies and Nystrom, while guys like Moloney and Duguay who were much lesser fighters were. With that said, Nicky faced off with Nystrom later when he was wearing a Whalers sweater. Nystrom got s decision on that one. With that said, Fotiu was one of the best fighters the game has ever seen. Top 20 all time guy throughout the league.

Donald Brashear was one of the best all time at this but as a NYR he was cooked already. He was barely here. Sandy McCarthy was one tough dude and one of the best in the mid 90's but also as a NYR he wasen't at his best. Same for Shane Churla, same Derek Boogard, and for Mary McSorley as well.

Reactions: egelband

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
All time? That I've seen. Toughest, not necessarily the best fighters.

Ron Harris, Reg Fleming and George McPhee.
Ron Harris is the only guy I’ve ever seen win a hockey fight on his back. Definitely one of the toughest of all time Rangers.

I’d put Teddy Irvine up there too

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
Good to read that someone gave Girardi some love.

Also, Zuccarello wanted to play with a cracked skull...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Speaking of former fighters for the Rangers Ryan Vandenbussche was maybe the toughest pound for pound. He didn't win all his fights for sure but he was often going against players 5 or 6 inches taller and 40 lbs. heavier and he got into a lot of hellacious battles throughout his career. George McPhee and PJ Stock were two other smaller guys who often embarrassed much bigger opponents. Langdon wasn't exactly small but most of his fights were against bigger opponents too. A lot of them were real marathons---Langdon didn't have a heavy knockout punch but he could throw sharp stinging blows and switch hands with ease. He very often wore down opponents and take over in second halves of fights. Kocur wasn't huge either but was feared around the league---there were three or four guys whose careers he literally ended. Craig Coxe talks about fighting Kocur in the AHL and having his helmet cracked in two. Kocur is easily one of the heaviest punchers in NHL history. Domi was on the smaller end of things too. Really tough guy. I saw both Domi and Langdon numerous times when they were playing for the Binghamton Rangers.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad