Speculation: The race for 97 points AKA the playoff push thread.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
It is no secret that 97 points is pretty much the benchmark for making the playoffs. Here is the rest of the schedule and what we need to hit that 97 point mark and we can use this as a playoff push/out of town scoreboard watching thread as well.

Washington remaining games. Won Metro Division.

DATEOPPONENTTIMEPointsMagic Number
Won Division
Sat, Apr 6vs New York Islanders7:00 PM..
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Islanders remaining games. In with 99 points.

.​
In
Sat, Apr 6@ Washington7:00 PM..
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Pittsburgh remaining games.

In
Sat, Apr 6vs New York Rangers7:00 PM..
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Carolina remaining games.

in
Sat, Apr 6@ Philadelphia7:00 PM..
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Columbus remaining games.

• In
Sat, Apr 6@ Ottawa7:00 PM..
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Washington and Toronto lose tonight. Buffalo losing. Boston and Montreal playing. Good night so far!

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I'm not sure how most fans who want the free agents traded can watch the season, go to games, worry about the standings, but hope the gm pulls the rug out from under the team and trades the free agents for prospects and picks. Certainly even if nobody is traded they won't xlinch a playoff spot by more then 4 points . They simply aren't good enough to trade Lee eberle or Nelson and still make the playiffs

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I'm not sure how most fans who want the free agents traded can watch the season, go to games, worry about the standings, but hope the gm pulls the rug out from under the team and trades the free agents for prospects and picks. Certainly even if nobody is traded they won't xlinch a playoff spot by more then 4 points . They simply aren't good enough to trade Lee eberle or Nelson and still make the playiffs

Blah blah blah

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

Canadiens
LWCRW
Goals: 25
Assists: 48
Goals: 23
Assists: 31
Goals: 38
Assists: 25
Goals: 0
Assists: 3
Goals: 1
Assists: 3
Goals: 14
Assists: 11
Goals: 16
Assists: 13
Goals: 12
Assists: 19
Goals: 22
Assists: 14
Goals: 1
Assists: 7
Goals: 2
Assists: 21
Goals: 5
Assists: 7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Goals: 9
Assists: 27
Goals: 9
Assists: 31
Goals: 4
Assists: 12
Goals: 4
Assists: 11
Goals: 2
Assists: 15
Goals: 0
Assists: 0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
N2CJE9V.png

BsbHqLc.png

6gqnK6x.jpg

1H6rnzW.png

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If the team secures 7 points in the next 5 games before all star break that is 61 points with 33 games left.

Certainly, puts them in pole position to get to 96 and beyond.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I thought MTL would fall, looks like Buffalo is (as of now). Their defense is a mess.

Still want to sneak into that 3 spot.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I thought MTL would fall, looks like Buffalo is (as of now). Their defense is a mess.

Montreal is going to drop. They’ve played 3 more games than us and have a much worse goal differential.

Snagging the 2-3 spot is a necessity. Both WC teams are going to get destroyed in the 1st round.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Montreal is going to drop. They’ve played 3 more games than us and have a much worse goal differential.

Snagging the 2-3 spot is a necessity. Both WC teams are going to get destroyed in the 1st round.

Idk, when I watch MTL they look consistently good. Buffalo looked great until December, since then their holes on D are showing; now they look mediocre at best.

I was hoping the Bob incident would sink CBJ. Probably not.

The Pens are being the real Pens.

NYI, if they play the way they can, is going to snag a WC spot. Just hope they don’t wilt w the pressure down the stretch.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Lee is staying. You are assuming we get nothing back in any trade.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Oh boy here we go another jinx thread!

Seriously. Everyone make sure to post in the 2019 NHL Draft thread too.

Not sure if serious but I will play along.

It's not a jinx thread, it's a thread showing what we need to finish at to make the playoffs.

A jinx thread would look like the following...

Who do you want to play in the 1st round?
What seed do you think we will finish at?
ETC.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

Although he's been playing well the last week or 2, Eberle has been a non-factor all year. They can survive trading him and replacing him with ho-sang. the only downside is that we won't get much back for him because he's been so bad. Lee is our new-captain and will be signed long term. Has brock finally figured it out? Or is this a classic case of a player having a career year during the season before they hit free agency. i really don't know, but i am leaning towards him figuring it out now that he's finally being coached by a professional.

so we're really just looking at possibly trading Eberle, and I think we're all fine with that as we already have a good replacement who has shown he belongs at this level.

I don't think the trade deadline is going to hurt us at all to be honest.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Thanks for starting this thread OP. The fact that this thread even exists (instead of a lottery tracking thread) is a testament to the hard work done by Trotz and this team. Still, the hard work has just gotten them into the discussion, the real challenge is up ahead of us. IMO, Carolina is going to be hard charging during the second half, so we'll to beat out at least 2 of Carolina, Buffalo or Montreal to make the playoffs.

Trading the UFAs is a valid question. I think they'll have to keep Lee because he's the captain and we need his production, but he might be playing hardball with an extension knowing how bad the optics would be if the Isles lose another UFA captain. I doubt Lou really gives a shit and I think he'll stick to what he thinks is a fair offer. Given the lack of Cs, Nelson is likely going to stay past the deadline too, but I think Eberle will be gone if Isles can get a 2nd round pick or better. If HoSang can play strong in BPT and get good with the coaching staff again, he can replace (and exceed) Eberle's production, which would make things easier.

Beyond that, I don't see a lot of action for us at the trading deadline. This isn't a year for us to "go all-in" and start trading futures for rentals or guys on commitments. Most of the big deadline targets are guys we'll want to go after in FA, so why give up futures for them? On the other hand, the team has played too well for a full sell-off, so aside from maybe Eberle, standing pat seems like the best strategy.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Not sure if serious but I will play along.

It's not a jinx thread, it's a thread showing what we need to finish at to make the playoffs.

A jinx thread would look like the following...

Who do you want to play in the 1st round?
What seed do you think we will finish at?
ETC.

Not srs. Thanks for opening the thread, since it’s about that time.

I’m not sure who I’d want to play. Caps are defending SC champs; Pitt is always a tough team; CBJ has been tough for us, but who knows what happens with that team come the TDL; no thanks to a TBL matchup.

I’m sure, assuming we make the playoffs, we’d be in one of the WC spots.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think Montreal has two things going for them that Buffalo doesn't: consistent goaltending and depth scoring.

Seriously, take a look at Buffalo's scoring. It's basically the Eichel/Skinner/Reinhart line and then a bunch of players not even on pace for 40 points.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina passes them at some point.

Reactions: MattMartin

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Not srs. Thanks for opening the thread, since it’s about that time.

I’m not sure who I’d want to play. Caps are defending SC champs; Pitt is always a tough team; CBJ has been tough for us, but who knows what happens with that team come the TDL; no thanks to a TBL matchup.

I’m sure, assuming we make the playoffs, we’d be in one of the WC spots.
I want either Pitt or CBJ. I think we match up better with Pitt, but they're also significantly more experienced and know how to win in the playoffs. CBJ is a worse match up, but they're chokers and Bob is awful in the playoffs. Either way we need to stay away from Washington and Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad