The quality of WC

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Its kinda hilariouse to see thought. Swede starting this topic suprisingly :sarcasm:

Been talking to swedes recently and their bitternes makes this victory feel even better. They've been even whining about Mikko Koivu lifting the cup so high and dancing with it too much, they have been saying its classless :laugh: Lets just enjoy to see them whine nor cry and lets do not really care about it as we have learned from our north american fellows! They might think they can get the best joy away from us with that whining, but we have been having a great fun partying here and enjoying, and their whining has just added extra for it! :nod: After all, all kinds of bashing trashing and if they loose then whining can allways be expected from specially swedish hilarioise media, and bitternes is going to be shown by some people, you can count on it. Thats why they also are so fun to beat.

I hate the swedish tabloids with a passion and so does the majority of Swedes. But people can't stop reading them. It's like watching a car accident. You can't look away.
I've stoped watching TV all together. I only watch SVT Play and have been for years now.
SVT is also the only newssource I can stand.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
No you are not the only one. I also am the opinion that it doesn't work. You probably had even less NHL players than now because they were too tired to play a WC after a long NHL season.

Additionally almost nobody in Europe would watch hockey games when the outside temperatures are more than 30 degrees.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be in June. The World Cup of Hockey, when held most recently, usually occurs just before the NHL season starts... so somewhere in the mid-September time frame could also work. Players will have been training in earnest by that time of year, world wide, for the coming league seasons. All players are in shape. Fans eager to see hockey again after the long summer are eager to watch hockey by that time of year.

The perception, for what it's worth, is that scheduling for the World Championships takes into account the needs of everyone except the North Americans, and so North Americans respond in kind and ignore the heck out of the tournament, starting with the players and extending to the fans and the media coverage. It would be no guarantee, but it would at least be a step towards encouraging better turnout if the tournament scheduling didn't interfere with ANY league schedule. An early Fall schedule would do so.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Ah yes, the old 99% of the member-nations should cater to two just two members for no good reason at all...

Do you know why the tournament is so rarely in North America?
It's because neither the USA nor Canada are applying to host it. Why should two nations get every second tournament when the IIHF has 70 member-nations?
It takes a country an average of almost 10 years to get the tournament again, but somehow two nations are supposed to get it every second year, how does that make sense?

The IIHF is already gift-wrapping the WJC to North America all the time. You want to see the IIHF hold the WC more often in North America, tell your federations to apply for it. :shakehead

It's s slap to the face to start this tournament in May, really?
How about it's a slap in the face to make your seasons longer and longer until there is no place to hold the World Championship at a time that makes sense for all nations, see, I can do that to.

The World Championships aren't something that popped up five years ago, they are pretty much as old as the NHL. The IIHF has zero reason to throw away decades of history just because a handful of fans are whining and making unreasonable demands that don't even make sense.

Showing ignorance on all matters that involve the IIHF or its member-nations isn't exactly a good argument to change things.

Everyone knows why the NHL does what it does, maybe you should start and see why the IIHF does what it does, instead of telling the IIHF to accomodate North America with absolutely no return whatsoever.

I don't think you understand this. By holding the tournament in May the IIHF is leaving a lot of money on the table because North America basically ignores the tournament. Canada and the US aren't just any two members, they are by far the biggest two members of the IIHF by size by far. Both the US and Canada for example have more participants according to the IIHF than all the European countries involved in this years World Championships combined. To use those numbers are a rough rough estimate (obviously interest will be broader across the board, but it does give us an idea) the IIHF is ignoring probably well over 50% of their potential audience (the US and Canada made up 73% of the total participation out of this years WC countries).

You don't think TSN or CBC would pay a lot more for the right of the tournament if it was in September when interest in such a tournament is at peak? You don't think the IIHF could at least some money out of the US (particularly from the network who hold Olympic rights) if not held during the middle the of Stanley Cup playoffs? This was the first year the tournament was available on big distributed network and I'm guessing NBC/Versus paid almost nothing for the rights. Also don't think the sponsors, particularly the equipment manufactures like Reebok and Nike wouldn't pay more if the tournament was more visible in the part of the world that boast that percentage of participants?

The fact that Canada goes gaga over the Junior tournament shows their is an appetite for International Hockey and that interest in a senior tournament would dwarf it.

What IIHF would get in return for moving the tournament to September is more revenue. It is in their interest as that would be more money that can be distributed to its members to grow the game.

And yes it should be the IIHF that moves their tournament rather than the NHL for several reasons. First off the NHL already has that desired audience, those seeking it are the ones usually that have to make the necessary moves to get it. Secondly as a professional league/tournament the NHL predates the Worlds by close to 50 years. You talk about history, well the Worlds was an amateur tournament up until the late 1970's. When it finally allowed pros (under pressure from Canada) the NHL already had their playoffs going on at that time. At that point it is on the IIHF to make the moves to ensure the best available talent is at their tournament.

Danish Pastry

this is dream!
Jan 3, 2009
Copenhagen
i enjoy the tourny when i get a chance to watch it i wont stay up late to watch it and if its in north america i would watch more... sucks it takes place during the playoffs well because i will always watch that first...

but i dont get why people try to discredit the tourny best of the best doesnt always mean its the best especially in these one and done tourny's its more the team than the mega stars...

I also have ZERO problem with NHL players not wanting to go to the tourny no matter what country they play for but if they turn down the olympics i would be pissed at our players...

Danish Pastry

this is dream!
Jan 3, 2009
Copenhagen
its not just hockey though even when USA won this last WC of Basketball most Americans didnt even know we were playing in it or had won it... dont know why but yearly international tourny's dont really seem to get too much attention...

seems to be in all sports its Pro league>Olympics>World Championships in America...

just cultural differences...

JYP88*

I know that in Canada and US Iihf WC don't get high value, but for an small country like Finland this is a big deal. We have been waiting for 16 years for this. Sweden is also our biggest rival and it have twice bigger population so it cant be better way than beat them in the final. Now we can enjoy NHL's playoff hockey which is also big deal in Finland........ and what can you expect when there is eight months when daily temperature average is less than zero degrees.. Only sports where we are decent are Hockey, bath in sauna (after beating wife), javelin throw and motorsport(not a really sport) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I don't think you understand this. By holding the tournament in May the IIHF is leaving a lot of money on the table because North America basically ignores the tournament. Canada and the US aren't just any two members, they are by far the biggest two members of the IIHF by size by far. Both the US and Canada for example have more participants according to the IIHF than all the European countries involved in this years World Championships combined. To use those numbers are a rough rough estimate (obviously interest will be broader across the board, but it does give us an idea) the IIHF is ignoring probably well over 50% of their potential audience (the US and Canada made up 73% of the total participation out of this years WC countries).

You don't think TSN or CBC would pay a lot more for the right of the tournament if it was in September when interest in such a tournament is at peak? You don't think the IIHF could at least some money out of the US (particularly from the network who hold Olympic rights) if not held during the middle the of Stanley Cup playoffs? This was the first year the tournament was available on big distributed network and I'm guessing NBC/Versus paid almost nothing for the rights. Also don't think the sponsors, particularly the equipment manufactures like Reebok and Nike wouldn't pay more if the tournament was more visible in the part of the world that boast that percentage of participants?

The fact that Canada goes gaga over the Junior tournament shows their is an appetite for International Hockey and that interest in a senior tournament would dwarf it.

What IIHF would get in return for moving the tournament to September is more revenue. It is in their interest as that would be more money that can be distributed to its members to grow the game.

And yes it should be the IIHF that moves their tournament rather than the NHL for several reasons. First off the NHL already has that desired audience, those seeking it are the ones usually that have to make the necessary moves to get it. Secondly as a professional league/tournament the NHL predates the Worlds by close to 50 years. You talk about history, well the Worlds was an amateur tournament up until the late 1970's. When it finally allowed pros (under pressure from Canada) the NHL already had their playoffs going on at that time. At that point it is on the IIHF to make the moves to ensure the best available talent is at their tournament.

I just can't imagine how IIHF could move the tournament to September... how would you pick players for your team, when none of them played hockey for about 3 months? Nobody knows in that part of year who's going to play well and who will have slow start of the season. Crazy idea if you ask me. It would be tournament with bigger names, but also with worse hockey IMO.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
"aren't good enough for the NHL"

That attitude I see as a problem. Stop believing there is only one league in the world. Btw, Kaigorodov is by your standards a "no-good-for-NHL" guy. You can't base everything on one play, I know. But still, he made his moves on 3 or 4 NHL regulars, so what about it?

WC isn't the tournament with best rosters. It's a fact, but to call it a NHL-rejects tournament goes way too far.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I have no problem with the timing of the tourney. We already have the Olympics and World Cup of Hockey to cater for the best on best demand. The WC is good enough as it is and very exciting to watch every year. Playing in July or September is a horrible idea, people in Europe are into other sports or not paying attention to sports at all at those times (vacationing etc.). Perhaps it would be possible to move the WC a week later so that more NHL players would be available. It's too bad NA audiences aren't too excited about the current WC.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Quality of WC is ok. Once again we saw that "the most NHL -players in a team" tactic isn't working. USA and Canada didn't even get near the medal games and they had the most NHL -players.

Last edited:

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
The quality of the tournament was really high leveled this year. As JabbaJabba writes the team-play decides how high quality the games have. That also shows which team is the best.

Danish Pastry

this is dream!
Jan 3, 2009
Copenhagen
Quality of WC is ok. Once again we saw that "the most NHL -players in a team" tactic isn't working. USA and Canada didn't even get near the medal games and they had the most NHL -players.

to be fair to them those teams never get to play together... dont the european teams get to play several games throughout the year... more a question i guess...

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
Tournament was of very high quality - Finland played with phenomenal intensity and teamwork. I don't think there was another team in the world which could beat Finland that played in the sudden death games in this tournament.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
to be fair to them those teams never get to play together... dont the european teams get to play several games throughout the year... more a question i guess...

This is true. They should have some tournament similiar to Euro hockey tour. Canada, USA, Mexico and Cuba playing for the mastery of North America :sarcasm:.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole

There's 4 EHT tourneys during the year (3 games per one) but single players could attend only 1-2 times. Last one is the closest to the WC-roster. So teams are pretty different every time. Then there's pre-WC practise games who're missing fel,sel,khl final playoff-players. Finland for example started with a team with atleast half beeing players no chance to getting into WC team and new players joining as they come available.

16th of April point-standings looked like this: (before last EHT) Bolded ones were in the WC team.

Juuso Puustinen 9 6+5=11 +5 4
Jarkko Immonen 9 5+6=11 +13 2
Janne Pesonen 8 4+6=10 +6 2
Mika Pyörälä 8 3+3=6 +2 6
Leo Komarov 12 3+3=6 +1 16

Petri Kontiola 6 2+3=5 +3 10
Teemu Pulkkinen 4 2+2=4 +3 0
Janne Lahti 8 2+2=4 -2 4
Teemu Laine 6 2+1=3 -4 2
Jori Lehterä 5 0+3=3 -1 0
Petteri Wirtanen 6 1+1=2 0 2
Juhamatti Aaltonen 8 1+1=1 -2 4