The QMJHL's goaltending supremacy is back

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Let me tell you about 6 QMJHL goalies that are eligible for this year's draft..

Francois Brassard, Quebec Remparts - Outplayed Appleby in camp and won the backup job as a rookie. While Domingue was in Phoenix' camp, he backstopped a young Remparts squad to a bunch more victories than they really should have had. With Domingue back, Brassard is STILL the starter. Patrick Roy has a lot of confidence in this kid.

Etienne Marcoux, Blainville-Boisbriand Armada - Is the 3rd talentend goaltender of the Montreal organisation after Jake Allen and JF Berube... Marcoux was extremely solid in pre-season play and stole the show early in the season, helping a team that many projected as a last-placed squad to three straight wins to open up the season, before getting injured. His draft stock now rests on whether or not he can come back soon from that Shoulder injury...

Brandon Whitney, Victoriaville Tigres - While David Honzik was at Vancouver's camp, rookie Whitney opened up a lot of eyes around the league. He is very big at 6'5, and very quick and agile. The Tigres have the best team in the league, but wouldn't have won many games with Honzik away to start the year if it wasn't for Whitney.

Alex Dubeau, Shawinigan Cataractes - The Cats are hosting the Memorial Cup, and have a very solid 20 years old goalie in Gabriel Girard, but honestly, Dubeau at 17 years old is just as good right now. He has lightning quick reflexes and is always square to the shooter. Will get a ton of experience from the Memorial Cup run.

Francois Tremblay, Val D'Or Foreurs

Antoine Bibeau, PEI Rockets - Bibeau is an extremely skilled goalie that the Rocket acquired this summer. He will split the games with Lagace this year so it will give scouts plenty of time to see just how good he is.

There you have it folks.

Last edited:

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Graham is 2013 eligible btw and he didnt backstopped Canada to gold at the u18...he was on the bench

and no Qmjhl goalie supremacy is not back by any stretch of the imagination. i would bet none of those goalie will get pick in the first 2 round of the draft.

i like Brassard from Quebec and Whitney of Victo. still no sold on Tremblay and Dubeau is too small. Bibeau and Racicot would be lucky to get drafted at this point

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Why are you talking about Racicot?

Oh yeah, I forgot about Tremblay. Graham's born Sept 21, just got mixed up.

Still 6 talented goalies with Tremblay... that's pretty good if you ask me.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
With both Victo and Shawinigan looking to compete this year and with already established starters in place, one has to wonder if either of them will consider moving their young backup listed above to help fill a hole elsewhere in the lineup

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
By the way Jean-Francois Berube was drafted in the 4th round after only playing 20 games... so yeah all of these guys are backups (except Marcoux) but it doesn't really mean they won't get drafted.

I think Marcoux and Brassard go in the 2nd or 3rd round and at least 4 out of 6 are drafted.

That's better than the last couple of years with guys like Domingue and Corbeil-Theriault... they're crap compared to what's available for this summer's draft.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Dubeau is 5'10...he is very unlikely to be drafted...I love the way he plays but I cant see it happening for him...

I honestly dont see Q goaltending supremacy coming back anytime soon...the 2009 Midget Draft looked deep in Q goalies, but the 1993's for the most part have fallen flat on their faces...

Among the 94's...I like Dubeau but hes small, Graham is 2013, Whitney is huge but lacks the mental game, although he will probably be drafted because hes 6'05...Brassard I like...but maybe a 4th/5th rounder...

Bibeau is looking shaky so far in his Q debut...that migth change...I really like Tremblay though.

The 1995's look promising, but its a long way before the 2013 draft.

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I expect Domingue to be dealt during the Holidays, so Brassard should have a fair amount of starts this season.

And..

he backstopped a young Remparts squad to a bunch more victories than they really should have had.

That's only three wins... And how can you say that after a 9-1 win?! :laugh:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I got the chance to see both Hugo Campeau and Francois Brassard seeing that Cape Breton sucks and we see a lot of backups.

Brassard is an agile goaltender who plays very big in the net. He looks very calm back there and I have him ranked 4th to 6th in my rankings.

Campeau had a very good game, he tracked the puck remarkably well. He plays a little deep and a little small but his speed is his best asset. Technically most goaltenders are pretty good these days. I have him ranked 6th round I think.

Last edited:

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
He's not eligible until 2013, but look out for Zachary Fucale on Halifax. I'd be shocked if he's not the top ranked goalie from the Q. He shows so much poise for a 16 year old.

GM17*

He's not eligible until 2013, but look out for Zachary Fucale on Halifax. I'd be shocked if he's not the top ranked goalie from the Q. He shows so much poise for a 16 year old.

Wow, didn't know he was only 16. That's pretty solid for him to just jump in like that and perform.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Wow, didn't know he was only 16. That's pretty solid for him to just jump in like that and perform.

Halifax picked him 11th overall last year I believe. I've really been impressed that he's jumped in and hold down the #1 goalie spot, on a very young Halifax team.

He's definitely up there with Eric Comrie for the best '95 goalie in Canada, IMO.

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS
Halifax picked him 11th overall last year I believe. I've really been impressed that he's jumped in and hold down the #1 goalie spot, on a very young Halifax team.

He's definitely up there with Eric Comrie for the best '95 goalie in Canada, IMO.

i remember scratching my head when he was drafted ahead of belanger and desrosiers, but hes been beyond impressive for a 16 year old this year, huge part of this wicked season they have going

BLBarmada

Brassard..... Lions product.... Enough said.

And Dom Graham is going to be good.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
i remember scratching my head when he was drafted ahead of belanger and desrosiers, but hes been beyond impressive for a 16 year old this year, huge part of this wicked season they have going

I think most outsiders were surprised Fucale went before those 2...but thats because Fucale wasnt on the Canada Games team...but mentally you wont find a goalie better than Zach...not at this age...I had him ranked 4th overall in the entire draft and Halifax got him 11th...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I got the chance to see both Hugo Campeau and Francois Brassard seeing that Cape Breton sucks and we see a lot of backups.

Brassard is an agile goaltender who plays very big in the net. He looks very calm back there and I have him ranked 4th to 6th in my rankings.

Campeau had a very good game, he tracked the puck remarkably well. He plays a little deep and a little small but his speed is his best asset. Technically most goaltenders are pretty good these days. I have him ranked 6th round I think.

Something that might hurt Campeau is lack of crease time...hes only played 184 minutes so far and we are half way thru the season...VDO is still carrying 3 goalies for some reason.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga

I think most outsiders were surprised Fucale went before those 2...but thats because Fucale wasnt on the Canada Games team...but mentally you wont find a goalie better than Zach...not at this age...I had him ranked 4th overall in the entire draft and Halifax got him 11th...

I definitely had a similar reaction to Keith's when I saw Fucale was the first goalie taken. As you said Laprise, I was one who saw the other two goalies at the CG and was very impressed. After watching around ~10 Mooseheads games live, the biggest surprise on that team for me is Fucale. He's very impressive as a 16-year-old, and he'll no doubt go very early next year if he keeps this progression up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->