Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Just trying to remember our fan reactions to his drafts. At least mine were -

2013 - Excitement, maybe half from his reputation in Detroit, and his willing to take a chance rather than safe pick, by going for Nuke (ranked as top 3 talent, but a faller). JD seemed to be picked slightly above his rank, which was tremendously variable, but only had mild hopes for him. Just checked his scouting reports again, and most centered around "if he can only fulfill his potential", i.e. great skills but doesn't always use them, which is exactly what we could say about his NHL auditions to date.

2014 - Honka okay, about where ranked, needed D. Recall some talk about missing on Larking, a pick later. About the same level of excitement of a No. 14 pick as we have this year for 13 pre draft.

2015 - Remember being on vacation in Gold Rush area of CA, checking my phone and groaning. A quick check of draft sites had me shaking my head. Preferred Barzal, like most, and would have at least been picking in line with CSB.

2016- Tufte, meh. About what you would expect at that location. Picked right about his consensus ranking.

2017 - Really excited by the draft luck that landed Miro and Robertson, and the trade up to get Jake, because we really needed a goalie in the system (weren't sure about Point yet, and while first round goalies tend to bust, there is never a lot of reason to believe in fifth rounders, even if Turco was drafted in that round.....we hope the magic continues for the Stars in the fifth).

Net, net, excited about 4 first rounders, meh to disappointed in 3 at the time. Now, 2013, slightly meh to both picks - will probably contribute but never be stars for the Stars, 2014, Honka held back more than didn't earn a spot, 2015, DG less than meh, 2016, Tufte, still meh, and 2017, hope springs eternal. We will do well to hit on two of three. Could be Miro and Jake, or Miro and Jason, with Otter going the route of other first round goalies.

Time will tell, of course.

Overall, Hockey News ranked our prospect system 23 of 31, which pretty well covers the other picks. Agree that after five years, we still don't draft enough top end talent. Biggest disappointment is that Nill was supposed to fix that as a former scout. But, recall looking into Detroit drafts, and they had a better rep than record, based on two later round finds in Dats and Zetts, not unlike us with Benn and Klinger.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Person who loves to appeal to authority: "Let's think back to fan reactions."

Dickinson was touted by some as a 2nd line player. 5 career points.
Elie's potential was supposed to be about where he is. 21 career points.
Honka moves the puck and gets points. 9 points in 58 career games.
Desrosiers: Bust
Pollock: Bust
Nichushkin's KHL numbers are about where his NHL ones were. He's the player we drafted 5 years ago.
Nyberg and Hansson: AHL players
Everyone else: Bust

Faksa made a 10 point jump in NHL scoring between 15-16 and 16-17 and was about the same in 17-18. Dickinson and Elie were supposed to make that jump last year.

Jim Nill doesn't pick players who get better, he picks guys who are as good on draft day as they are likely to ever get.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Something like this. Gurianov might come back in with Nyberg going out and Mangene sliding back to D.

Morin-Dowling-McKenzie
Dickinson-Hintz-L'Esperance
Elie-Flynn-Dries
Mangene-Fyten-Markison

Bodnarchuk-Scarlett
Heatherington-Regner
Bayreuther-Nyberg

McKenna

Reactions: PanniniClaus

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Best of luck in the Finals.

Who should we be looking out for in terms of NHL potential?
Hintz , Dickinson , guryanov and bayreuther are the top prospects on the team but not sure if guryanov is playing or not . Hintz is the guy I’m most excited about .

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Something like this. Gurianov might come back in with Nyberg going out and Mangene sliding back to D.

Morin-Dowling-McKenzie
Dickinson-Hintz-L'Esperance
Elie-Flynn-Dries
Mangene-Fyten-Markison

Bodnarchuk-Scarlett
Heatherington-Regner
Bayreuther-Nyberg

McKenna

so it's

Markison with the 2nd line and L'esperance centering fyten and mangene on the 4th?

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Neither goalie looks sharp.
Mckenna has been giving up horrible rebounds all night. And 3 of the goals (especially the 3rd) should not have gone in. Sparks hasn't been great but he's made a few huge saves.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Austin Fyten in over Robertson. #Laxdall

From the Athletic:

When Caamano joined the team he was given No. 14, which had already been assigned to fellow Stars prospect Jason Robertson. Robertson isn’t going to need that number and has already gone home for the summer after watching the second and third rounds as a black ace.

Also, DG scratched again.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Well, when I saw that, I figured they give a lot of preference to even one more year of development after the draft. Only thing I can figure. Or, and who knows, maybe he (JR) did get in some practices and just didn't impress for whatever reason.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Heika interviewed some Stars assistant GM to ask about various prospects playing in these playoffs.

Here's the link: Who's on the rise? Stars assistant GM gives thoughts on prospects And here's my translation of his comments on the players:

Dickinson: He's good at everything except scoring or assisting goals.

Gurianov: He can't even figure out how to be an every day AHL player.

Hintz: The best of a pretty unimpressive lot of forwards.

Elie: Fast dude with no hands.

Bayreuther: He's well on his way to being the daily healthy scratch in Dallas next season.

Heatherington: Has zero puck skills.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Heika interviewed some Stars assistant GM to ask about various prospects playing in these playoffs.

Here's the link: Who's on the rise? Stars assistant GM gives thoughts on prospects And here's my translation of his comments on the players:

Dickinson: He's good at everything except scoring or assisting goals.

Gurianov: He can't even figure out how to be an every day AHL player.

Hintz: The best of a pretty unimpressive lot of forwards.

Elie: Fast dude with no hands.

Bayreuther: He's well on his way to being the daily healthy scratch in Dallas next season.

Heatherington: Has zero puck skills.

LMAO that's bang on.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
At the 6-5 OT win on 22nd last month I was at Hintz, Bayreuther, Heatherington and Elie had good energized games. I kept an eye on Dickinson but he just wasn’t noticeable. I didn’t find out till the next day that Guri was a scratch, wow AHL postseason scratch, #10 pick. If we have a point next season where the other three forwards are already up here or aren’t available I’d probably bring up McKenzie. He was really good at the game I was at and has had a good year with Texas.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
At the 6-5 OT win on 22nd last month I was at Hintz, Bayreuther, Heatherington and Elie had good energized games. I kept an eye on Dickinson but he just wasn’t noticeable. I didn’t find out till the next day that Guri was a scratch, wow AHL postseason scratch, #10 pick. If we have a point next season where the other three forwards are already up here or aren’t available I’d probably bring up McKenzie. He was really good at the game I was at and has had a good year with Texas.

McKenzie probably won't be available as I suspect he's earned himself a short-term NHL contract with his post-season play.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Person who loves to appeal to authority: "Let's think back to fan reactions."

Dickinson was touted by some as a 2nd line player. 5 career points.
Elie's potential was supposed to be about where he is. 21 career points.
Honka moves the puck and gets points. 9 points in 58 career games.
Desrosiers: Bust
Pollock: Bust
Nichushkin's KHL numbers are about where his NHL ones were. He's the player we drafted 5 years ago.
Nyberg and Hansson: AHL players
Everyone else: Bust

Faksa made a 10 point jump in NHL scoring between 15-16 and 16-17 and was about the same in 17-18. Dickinson and Elie were supposed to make that jump last year.

Jim Nill doesn't pick players who get better, he picks guys who are as good on draft day as they are likely to ever get.
Faksa wasn't a Nill Pick.
I'm sure you knew that but just felt the need to point it out just in case, as Nill hasn't drafted anyone that has made a similar impact on the team

Reactions: Mr Misty

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The only prospects who has done anything and looked good is Hintz and Bayreuther.

Elie and Dickinson are the two most overrated garbage 23 year olds I've ever seen.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
No one seems to care here but game 5 is tonight in a series tied 2-2.

I care, don't post much about on here, but I follow all the updates on Twitter

Really enjoyed reading about Hintz and how much he's elevated his game during the post season

Also on Dickinson whos numbers have been terrible, he is being used in a shutdown roll and has been doing a good job. He also won an award for being the top defensive forward or something like that in the CHL. He may never become much of an offensive player, but could become a defensive bottom 6 forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad