The Prospect Thread III - Jackson Holliday called up

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
A 16 year old kid got paid 5.6 million dollar signing bonus by the Padres. The Braves don't even pay their stars that much, wtf. lol
Doesn't really strike me as unusual. It's a record, sure (unsurprising, really - of course the record number will continue to go up every couple of years), but MLB teams have been handing out multi-million dollar bonuses to international amateurs for years - last year, the biggest bonus was $4.9M, the year before was $4.0M, $5.0M in 2019, $5.25M in 2018. The amateur draft bonuses aren't really that different, either.

Reactions: Canes

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Doesn't really strike me as unusual. It's a record, sure (unsurprising, really - of course the record number will continue to go up every couple of years), but MLB teams have been handing out multi-million dollar bonuses to international amateurs for years - last year, the biggest bonus was $4.9M, the year before was $4.0M, $5.0M in 2019, $5.25M in 2018. The amateur draft bonuses aren't really that different, either.
The amateur draft still has at least 2 years more for high school seniors and 3-5 for college players. Which is a lifetime in development in the baseball world. But I mean I get it... this is the market rate for international prospects now, still don't like it though.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

EDIT: According to CBS Sports his last steal of the game was later changed to " defensive indifference " by the official scorer after the game so Rafaela ended up with 6 SB for the game. The team ended up with 9 SB so the Somerset catcher had a rough day.

Last edited:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Yikes, so TJS for Painter. His 2024 season is probably already over too. He's still very young so this is not a career killer but who knows how his stuff comes back from this.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Took a long time to get to a place everyone knew this was headed

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
This comes with the caveat that he's still a teenager and had had some injuries but Druw Jones has been absolutely brutal this year (.522 OPS),

To think there seemed to be a real debate about Jones vs Holliday entering that draft...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad