The Prospect Thread II (McKay called up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
He's hitting over .400 with the Bisons now, is he not?

If he keeps it up he's gonna make many Jays fans forget all about Donaldson at 3B in a big ol' hurry. :laugh:

EDIT:

Vladdy's stats from this season:

2018 (AAA): .455 BA, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1.263 OPS
2018 (AA): .402 BA, 14 HR, 60 RBI, 1.120 OPS

He's having a monster year, here's hoping the Jays do the right thing and keep him in Buffalo. No sense burning a year and exposing him to the tire fire in Toronto, even if Rogers is likely salivating at the ensuing boost in ticket sales.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
They'll call him up in September and then next season I reckon they'll delay his clock.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
A lot. I'd put him in LF. His bat will play anywhere.

So DH should work then.

Well let's assume that he projects to be a Miggy/Pujols type player then. Super elite bat but with very limited defensive ability. What are teams offers?

You can't realistically project anyone to reach the level those 2 did as hitters, no matter how talented or how good of a prospect they are. Those are 2 of the greatest RHH the game has ever seen.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
You can't realistically project anyone to reach the level those 2 did as hitters, no matter how talented or how good of a prospect they are. Those are 2 of the greatest RHH the game has ever seen.

Yeah, I get that. It’s a hypothetical, not a prediction. What I’m saying is for fun, let’s assume Vlad Jr. would be that kind of hitter, that kind of career. What do you give up for him?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
It's hard to say without knowing the context. Would the Jays be looking to turn him into 5 or 6 future assets?

Or looking for help for now?

Or a combo of both, which is basically what the Lindros trade was?

My guess is any offer would require a top 10 prospect in MLB coming back and that player has to be a position player. So 1 of Tatis Jr, Jimenez, Senzel, Robles, Rogers and Lewis. Without this type of player, there is no conversation to be had.

Considering the issues in their rotation, a quality starting pitcher under club control for awhile would probably also have to be a key part of the package.

The Jays could also put in a Tulowitzki tax, whoever wants Vlad Jr must take on his awful contract.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 19 Years Old - AA/AAA

GP: 76
AB: 281
H: 60
R: 114
2B: 24
3B: 1
HR: 18
RBI: 69
BB: 35
K: 31
AVG: .406
OBP: .460
SLG: .690
OPS: 1.150

Like, how many guys at this age have done this well in the minors? I know Trout was a monster in the minors at 19 and great in the majors at 20 but even his minors season wasn't really all that close offensively. Obviously Trout is more well-rounded but when comes to hitting..I don't think I've seen a season like this from a prospect at this age and at this level.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It's hard to say without knowing the context. Would the Jays be looking to turn him into 5 or 6 future assets?

Or looking for help for now?

Or a combo of both, which is basically what the Lindros trade was?

My guess is any offer would require a top 10 prospect in MLB coming back and that player has to be a position player. So 1 of Tatis Jr, Jimenez, Senzel, Robles, Rogers and Lewis. Without this type of player, there is no conversation to be had.

Considering the issues in their rotation, a quality starting pitcher under club control for awhile would probably also have to be a key part of the package.

The Jays could also put in a Tulowitzki tax, whoever wants Vlad Jr must take on his awful contract.

I just wonder which team(s) would be in a position to make a deal like that. Like it obviously has to make sense for them too with where their team is at. Again, all hypothetical. Padres have the farm to get it done around Tatis Jr. and they have some great young pitching prospects too. Send Tulo to California so he can play weekend at Bernie’s in the sun. Jays then go with Bichette as 2b, Tatis jr. at ss and resign JD on the cheap.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 19 Years Old - AA/AAA

GP: 76
AB: 281
H: 60
R: 114
2B: 24
3B: 1
HR: 18
RBI: 69
BB: 35
K: 31
AVG: .406
OBP: .460
SLG: .690
OPS: 1.150

Like, how many guys at this age have done this well in the minors? I know Trout was a monster in the minors at 19 and great in the majors at 20 but even his minors season wasn't really all that close offensively. Obviously Trout is more well-rounded but when comes to hitting..I don't think I've seen a season like this from a prospect at this age and at this level.

Bryce Harper was too busy putting up 4.4 WAR season in majors at 19 :).

Reactions: bluesfan94

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I just wonder which team(s) would be in a position to make a deal like that. Like it obviously has to make sense for them too with where their team is at. Again, all hypothetical. Padres have the farm to get it done around Tatis Jr. and they have some great young pitching prospects too. Send Tulo to California so he can play weekend at Bernie’s in the sun. Jays then go with Bichette as 2b, Tatis jr. at ss and resign JD on the cheap.

Tulo and Vlad for Tatis, Urias and Gore?:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
To take 3 of their best prospects including 2 of the best in all of baseball?

You are aware Tatis is the second best prospect right?

I am. The hype with Vlad is more than all 3 of them combined. As of today, he's the sports next elite superstar.

I'm nowhere near Toronto, but I'm betting that casual and mild sports fans in the area already know all about Vlad. Ask any of them about any info on any other prospect, and they'll have nothing.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I am. The hype with Vlad is more than all 3 of them combined. As of today, he's the sports next elite superstar.

I'm nowhere near Toronto, but I'm betting that casual and mild sports fans in the area already know all about Vlad. Ask any of them about any info on any other prospect, and they'll have nothing.
Of course, but Tatis is both great offensively and defensively. Gore is an elite SP prospect and Urias is a good contact hitter with great D.

If not Urias how about Mejia?

We're asked to make offers on what it would take. By your logic almost all offers are a no go because everyone in TO knows who Vlad is. If fans wouldn't know who Tatis is, then they don't know any prospects outside of Toronto.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
We're asked to make offers on what it would take. By your logic almost all offers are a no go because everyone in TO knows who Vlad is. If fans wouldn't know who Tatis is, then they don't know any prospects outside of Toronto.

I mean, from a player-skill as well as from a marketing perspective, it's damn near close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad