The Prospect Thread II (McKay called up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Didn't get to say it before the previous thread was locked, but Rosario over Cecchini. Darko covered the Cecchini part, probably a utility player, Rosario already has the very good glove to be a league average starter and he has a lot of offensive potential. Right now he's the youngest position player in the league nearly everywhere he plays and he's played in some terrible hitters parks, so give it a few years and he could be putting up big offensive numbers. He's also very nice to the fans on twitter, responds to nearly everyone and his english is excellent for someone who's only been here a few years. https://twitter.com/amed_rosario. He's my favorite Mets prospect right now, I think he's going to be our best position player eventually.

On the other Mets prospects, I don't agree with Law about any of them, besides Matz. I don't think Smith has the power to profile as an above average regular at 1B. His explanation of Smith's power doesn't make much sense to me. Back to Cecchini who's in the top 100, I don't really think Cecchini is anywhere close to a top 100 prospect. I think a lot just don't want to admit he was a bad 1st round pick. Arm and range are fringy and there's not much hard contact in his bat. I think he's correct on Matz though. Stuff and command is #1 or #2, but not the most durable player.

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
While I appreciate Law putting 7 Twins prospects in the top 100, I'm just not a big fan of his rankings.

Last year he had Berrios ranked #96 and said he had #3 starter upside with a 50/50 chance of being a long-term bullpen arm.

This year, he has Kohl Stewart in the top 100 and even put him above Tyler Jay. I don't think any other scouting service will have Kohl near their top 100. He had a respectable 3.20 era in high A last season, but his peripherals have alot of people concerned. A 71/45 K/BB ratio in 129.1ip is not top prospect material. Most Twins prospect experts don't even have him ranked in their top 10 organizational prospects.

I think he can still be a solid pro. He has a very good groundball rate and he did deal with some shoulder issues last year, but at this point he doesn't belong on any top 100 prospect lists.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
The top 3 pitching prospect should be Giolito, Snell and Urias. Trey Mancini is not top 100 prospects, that's pretty strange.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah I'll take Glasnow over anyone but Giolito and maybe Urias.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'll take Glasnow over Giolito in the long-term, but I may be biased there :P

I think the hype around Glasnow has stayed relatively quiet (well, relatively quiet for being a top 5-7 prospect) just because he broke out so soon after being drafted that it feels like he's been around forever, though he's only 22.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
O's system should be pretty pathetic with Hunter Harvey, DJ Stewart, Jomar Reyes, Trey Mancini and Sisco gettin' no love. The organisation is pretty high on Gray Fenter, Chris Lee, Tanner Scott, David Hess and Ryan Mountcastle.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
Not sure why Rodgers is 12 on MLB top 100 but end up on 40 on BA top 100. Is it only because of his ETA?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Not sure why Rodgers is 12 on MLB top 100 but end up on 40 on BA top 100. Is it only because of his ETA?

Haven't read BA's scouting report but if I had to guess I'd say it's what Murray was talking about earlier. MLB.com see him as a shortstop or potential a third baseban. BA probably think he ends up in the outfield thus obviously lowering his value.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Haven't read BA's scouting report but if I had to guess I'd say it's what Murray was talking about earlier. MLB.com see him as a shortstop or potential a third baseban. BA probably think he ends up in the outfield thus obviously lowering his value.

MLB also places too much value on bat upside. It's a very risk heavy list.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
BA guys mentioned they didn't like Rodgers' effort and attitude when they were going through their list on MLB Network.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
I scooped up Giolito in my keeper pool late last year. What, if anything, can I expect from him this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->