The Problem With This Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
This proposal does not address systemic problems.Here is what would happen
under this agreement:There is a considerable number of players who have not yet negotiated a contract.Businesses operate on budgets.This proposal will provide
more money teams to spend on unsigned players. Teams that are already thriving
financially will start a bidding war for free agents and these contracts which will
be very lucrative will form the basis for all contract negotiations afterwards.A
solution has to take into account that the league is made up of a very diverse
group of markets that makes the current type of "system" problematic.

A Good Flying Bird*

pei fan said:
This proposal does not address systemic problems.Here is what would happen
under this agreement:There is a considerable number of players who have not yet negotiated a contract.Businesses operate on budgets.This proposal will provide
more money teams to spend on unsigned players. Teams that are already thriving
financially will start a bidding war for free agents and these contracts which will
be very lucrative will form the basis for all contract negotiations afterwards.A
solution has to take into account that the league is made up of a very diverse
group of markets that makes the current type of "system" problematic.

No. Businesses do not operate on budgets. That's the point remember? The owners need rules to force them to operate on budgets.

Lanny MacDonald*

Newsguyone said:
No. Businesses do not operate on budgets. That's the point remember? The owners need rules to force them to operate on budgets.

Businesses don't operate on budgets? Dumbest thing I think I have read anywhere. I hope you are proud of yourself. You just made possibly the dumbest statement made in HF history. :dunce:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Newsguyone said:

your sarcasm is fun, news, but I want to know why you are ignoring the obvious. that if these 30 business operated on a break even to profitable budget there would be a built in competitive imbalance of the worst kind. there are 5 or 6 teams that can operate profitable at twice to three times the payroll level of the other 24/25 teams in the NHL.

the teams with the great spending advantage win most of the time, i believe 11 of the last 12 stanley cup champs were on the top 10 in payroll. do you really believe that its good for hockey to have a handful of teams like Detroit loaded up with allstars and hall of famers right thru the lineup and win while several other teams can afford zero allstars and hall of famers and have next to no chance to make the playoffs much less win the stanley cup?

i see you are from ann arbor and therefor probably a wings fan. which means you honestly dont care if edmonton cant afford any players. is that your position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->