The problem with being patient...

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
The problem with being patient...Listening to Stauffer the last couple days has been frustrating. He's be saying that he doesn't think the Oilers will be big players in UFA. He keeps saying that there are no top end Dmen available this year in UFA and therefore Edmonton will just go with what we've got. I get that it's a bad idea to throw huge money at less than top end players.

The problem is our D stinks, right now we don't have one single top 4 NHL man on our team. Klefbom has top 4 potential, but he's a 5 at best right now, Ferrence and Nikitan are 6/7 guys right now, Schultz is tire fire and his offence was weak last year, he's a bottom pairing guy right now, Fayne is 5, Gryba is a bottom pairing guy, and Reinhart is an AHL Dman right now, who might be ready to make the jump this year as 6/7 to start. That's gross. There is not one above average Dman on this team, just some young guys with potential and limited experience, and some older guys that are all fairly limited. We don't have a good PP Dman either, and none of them are great puck movers either.

To go into the season with that top 7 is a guaranteed disaster, even with McD and the new coach, we still have the worst Dcore in the league, and it's not even close. Chia needs to either sign a guy or 2, or make a deal of 2. Talbot doesn't have a chance if we don't improve our D. And our young forwards won't put up huge numbers if we don't get some more puck movers to get them the puck, and a Dman with a bomb from the point to help out on the PP. I like that Kelfbom, Reinhart, Nurse, and to a lesser extent Schultz are developing, but we can't just sit back and wait for them, while we burn up McDavid's entry level contract, as well as Hall, Ebs, and Nuge's deals as well. It's time to switch gears, being patient should not even be an option. I hope Stauffer is wrong, and I hope Chia steps up through trades and/or free agency.

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Stauffer is useless and just exists to appease the fanbase. I would hope that the last decade taught you that.

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
Stauffer is useless and just exists to appease the fanbase. I would hope that the last decade taught you that.

It was also that Chia said he would be ok with going into the season as we are now, if he doesn't get anyone in free agency. Yes, he could be under promising and trying to over deliver, and I'm hoping this is the case, but if it's the truth? Yikes. Our D is just a huge collection of 5,6, and 7 Dmen. That's disturbing.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Yes, it would suck to go with their current Dcorp. It's basically, not competing?

Just heard we r close with sekera

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
Yes, it would suck to go with their current Dcorp. It's basically, not competing?

Just heard we r close with sekera

Ya. I'm glad it was just talk. Sekera is a solid #2/3 IMO, he easily becomes our best Dman. That's a great signing. I'd still love one more top 4 Dman.

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
Now guys like Klefbom, Nurse, and Reinhart have someone to learn from and hopefully eventually pass.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto

Stauffer is Mr Propaganda. He's not there to appease the fanbase. He's a Oilers management apologist, the worst kind defending the previous management like a mongoose defending its young.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
The difference between patience now and patience then is fans know that there nothing is being accomplished with the previous regime. Everyone and their mothers know that the disaster duo of Lowe and Mac-T are incompetent at their jobs and the Oilers will continue their path to irrelevancy.

Chiarelli has to clean up the mess and to be frank, it won't be an overnight process. So patience is definitely needed. Like McLellan said, next season is all about foundation and cleaning out the losing culture that has been inflicted by the previous regime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad