Post-Game Talk: The Price of victory. Montreal beats Calgary 3-2

POTG (15/11/2018)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
I hate when posters are writing that habs did not deserve to win as their first assesment after a win.... The same happens to many teams playing against the Habs and winning despite the fact that they were dominated by the Habs. That is why goalies are difference makers in those games.

It's a win, and a road win on top of that. We should be happier.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The point is Mike Smith was atrocious.

He gave us two points last night. Most midget goalies would’ve stopped the 1st and 3rd goal. No exaggeration. If he isn’t so bad, there’s posters on here blaming Price for giving up that second goal and costing us the game.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Actually, HDCA isn't about that. Look at how it is analyzed. An HDCA starts at a value of 3. So I'm not counting scoring chances here. I'm counting HIGH DANGER ones.

Natural Stat Trick - Glossary

It starts with where the shots is coming from. They at least calculate when it comes on the rush or not, but in the ends it all start with where the shot/play is coming from.

Each shot attempt (Corsi) taken in the offensive zone is assigned a value based on the area of the zone in which it was recorded. Attempts made from the attacking team's neutral or defensive zones are excluded.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
giphy.gif
Stuart Smalley, I remember you.

Reactions: Runner77

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Yeah and a weak shot from the green area is rated the same as a cross crease one timer from the red area. It says add 1 point if an event occurred with in 4 seconds. If I am seeing the chart right a cross goal line one timer would only be 2 because it is in the yellow area. Meanwhile if a guy just skates into the red area it is only counted as 2. The habs are pretty good at that. You dont see how this can be misleading into the quality of HDCA?

You don't see how at one point it's equal for everybody? Geez, if that doesn't count...what does? Your own interpretation? My own? He sucks! No he doesn't? At one point, you need to go deeper in things and that stat is telling. Who says it's a weak shot? How weak? Do we have a stat for the strength of a shot? Come on man...that's just bad faith here.

You want to take into account Medium Danger Chances to count the 2 points? Fine. That still means MDCA For = 256, MDCA = 233. We are still on top of that. And that is the 2 points zone. No, it still doesn't count how strong the shot was.

But if you can't deal with that stats, well I guess you don't count any stats whatsoever. 'Cause if HDCA or MDCA leaves places to interpretation, I can't imagine what you think of SV% or GAA...What do you think about Corsi or Fenwick?

OF COURSE....nobody thinks that those numbers are exactly right. That every HDCA is exactly what happened. But it has to be for every team. So at one point, it has to be equivalent for everybody.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It starts with where the shots is coming from. They at least calculate when it comes on the rush or not, but in the ends it all start with where the shot/play is coming from.

Yep. And usually the thing I keep hearing here is where they shot is coming from. Every shot against Price is coming from the slot, every shot from us are coming on the outside. Stats say TOTALLY differently. Not sure why people try to invent things that aren't.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
I hate when posters are writing that habs did not deserve to win as their first assesment after a win.... The same happens to many teams playing against the Habs and winning despite the fact that they were dominated by the Habs. That is why goalies are difference makers in those games.

It's a win, and a road win on top of that. We should be happier.

Too many agendas is the main reason for that, BTW .....hate it too

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
You don't see how at one point it's equal for everybody? Geez, if that doesn't count...what does? Your own interpretation? My own? He sucks! No he doesn't? At one point, you need to go deeper in things and that stat is telling. Who says it's a weak shot? How weak? Do we have a stat for the strength of a shot? Come on man...that's just bad faith here.

You want to take into account Medium Danger Chances to count the 2 points? Fine. That still means MDCA For = 256, MDCA = 233. We are still on top of that. And that is the 2 points zone. No, it still doesn't count how strong the shot was.

But if you can't deal with that stats, well I guess you don't count any stats whatsoever. 'Cause if HDCA or MDCA leaves places to interpretation, I can't imagine what you think of SV% or GAA...What do you think about Corsi or Fenwick?

OF COURSE....nobody thinks that those numbers are exactly right. That every HDCA is exactly what happened. But it has to be for every team. So at one point, it has to be equivalent for everybody.

You go on about bad faith, when you represent the HDCA as a comparison to the HDCF instead of HDCA/game played. Montreal is 19th in HDCA/GP btw, in your original post you use the 13th for the HDCF%, that's a little bit worse.

Yeah sure I cant deal with stats, but there you are saying if HDCA or MDCA is subjective how can someone possibly understand the intricacies of gaa, or sv pct. I mean how in the f*** is gaa interpretative? Great f***ing point, HDCA (which doesnt account for who the shooter is, the strength of the shot, screens, etc etc) must be less interpretative and subjective than gaa, which is literally goals against/60 mins. f*** off.

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Yep. And usually the thing I keep hearing here is where they shot is coming from. Every shot against Price is coming from the slot, every shot from us are coming on the outside. Stats say TOTALLY differently. Not sure why people try to invent things that aren't.
Been a long time since I've seen that many chances from the slot, next practice all they should do are drills on slot coverage and PP zone entry

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Price was great last night.The fact of the matter is he should be playing like that 85% of the time.Of course,he is allowed a few off games here and there like every player, but at his contract,it isn't much to expect him to play like a superstar for 4 games out of every 5 for example.I'm not ready to say he's back just yet.He's had one excellent game out of dozens of horrible ones going back to last season.I want to see consistency over the coming months.

If Price played like that 85% of the time he’d go down as the greatest goalie of all time. He needs to be better but games like should be expected a handful of times a season.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He IS a first line Center at 18, that’s what he is, just like Crosby/Malkin/McDavid/Mathews/etc were all 1st line centers from day 1 even if they didn’t play that role right away, that’s what they were, that’s who they are, that’s what this kid is, he’s a fist line center. Play him where ever you want, he’s still a first line center and their is ZERO doubt about that, you can bet your house on it.
Lol...what? No. Kotkaniemi is not a 1st center. He was drafted to hopefully become one, like Galchenyuk.
As of today, he is not one. Stop being such a fan and be a little more objective man.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He needs to stop 45 shots every night?

Maybe find a cure for cancer while he's at it too.
Well...Ovechkin needs to be productive on most nights doesn't he? Crosby? McDavid? Tavares?
It should be no different for Price, he needs to be leading the team by his performance on most nights, that's why he gets the big bucks.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Yes I expect Price to be very good on most nights, just like I expect Crosby or McDavid to be very good on most nights. He's had too many games where he's not been good. Apparently that's too much too expect from somebody we are paying 15 million this year.

Well, i dont think they expect 5pts from Crosby and Mcdavid every game, thats pretty much what Carey did yesterday. Im not defending his play from last year or even say that he’s been great this year so far, im just saying its not fair to expect him to play at the level he played yesterday game in game out.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Lol...what? No. Kotkaniemi is not a 1st center. He was drafted to hopefully become one, like Galchenyuk.
As of today, he is not one. Stop being such a fan and be a little more objective man.
A Galchenyuk comparison is absurd. Chucky couldn’t sniff Kotka’s jockstrap at that age, and even still right now the better player is Kotka by a mile.

Last edited:
Reactions: admiralcadillac

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A Galchenyuk comparison is absurd. Chucky couldn’t sniff Kotka’s jockstrap at that age, and even still righ now the better player is Kotka by a mile.
Revisionist history at its best.
But even if you want to believe that, Kotka is not a #1 center as we speak.

Reactions: c3z4r
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->