The Premature 2020 Expansion Thread

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
In 2020 the likelihood of any of those three flexing their NMCs is unlikely. The two defensemen will be struggling to simply maintain a roster spot and Lucic has been widely speculated to be 'unhappy' in Edmonton in the first place. A fresh start in a location not far from where they are now would be a positive opportunity for any of them to continue their NHL careers.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It would be amazing if Lucic would waive.

Give them a 2nd round pick + decent prospect to take Lucic.

Honestly I think Lucic would waive if they asked him. If the reports are true that he wants out, why wouldn’t he? Gets him to a US based team close to home.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
is it an option for a player with a nmc to waive it for the expansion draft? According to cap friendly, he can waive for a trade and then decide if he would void it. That is only in the event of a trade, not an expansion draft

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Anyone know how many players willing waived NMCs for the last expansion draft? Fleury is the only one I can recall. It seems odd to me to see so many posters confident that we'll get all of Sekera Russell and Lucic to waive.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Anyone know how many players willing waived NMCs for the last expansion draft? Fleury is the only one I can recall. It seems odd to me to see so many posters confident that we'll get all of Sekera Russell and Lucic to waive.

I think it depends on the situation. Russell might be okay waiving for example, knowing that guys like Bear or Jones would be more appealing for Seattle if they want to take a dman from us

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If I'm Seattle, I want to enter the league before Compliance buyouts happen. Teams will be able to protect more talented players if they can do compliance buyouts. Imagine if we could buyout Lucic and Russell. We'd barely feel the expansion draft hit us.

I expect the Oilers may try to aggressively trade Milan Lucic with salary retention or pot sweeteners to a cap floor team as he makes less real money in the back three years of his deal. They can chose to buyout Russell in 2020, if he does not want to waive, in 2019 as a way to pre-emptively protect better players. This is the last year of Andrej Sekera's NMC, so they will not have to protect him.

If Bouchard goes back down after 9 games, and I think he will, they can protect McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, two other eligible forwards, Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse and Talbot or whoever is the goaltender at that point.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I expect the Oilers may try to aggressively trade Milan Lucic with salary retention or pot sweeteners to a cap floor team as he makes less real money in the back three years of his deal. They can chose to buyout Russell in 2020, if he does not want to waive, in 2019 as a way to pre-emptively protect better players. This is the last year of Andrej Sekera's NMC, so they will not have to protect him.

If Bouchard goes back down after 9 games, and I think he will, they can protect McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, two other eligible forwards, Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse and Talbot or whoever is the goaltender at that point.

Even if Bouchard and Yamamoto play this season, we dont have to protect them

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Even if Bouchard and Yamamoto play this season, we dont have to protect them

Ah yes, they will still be in year 2 of their ELC when the draft occurs. Well that makes that easier.

Even if they can't move on from Lucic they'll probably still be able to protect all of their key forwards.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Question for @Fourier or another local capologist, how does salary retention actually work?

Milan Lucic makes 3M in bonuses and 3M in base salary in 19-20. If the Oilers trade Lucic on July 2, 2019 (after payibg his bonus) and retain 2M per season - a far, far better deal than buying him out for their cap - would the team that acquire him only have to pay him 1M in real dollars that year, and then 3M and 2M in the final two?

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Question for @Fourier or another local capologist, how does salary retention actually work?

Milan Lucic makes 3M in bonuses and 3M in base salary in 19-20. If the Oilers trade Lucic on July 2, 2019 (after payibg his bonus) and retain 2M per season - a far, far better deal than buying him out for their cap - would the team that acquire him only have to pay him 1M in real dollars that year, and then 3M and 2M in the final two?

The can only retain 50% of the contract. This would mean they would be on the hook for 50% of the remaining salary after the trade happened. So the team that got him would be on the hook for $1.5M in real money that year and would carry $3M of his cap hit. The team getting him under those circumstances would only be on the hook for $8M in cash for his 4 remaining years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad