Prospect Info: The Premature 2020 Draft Thread

How Many Seasons Until Yaroslav Askarov is an NHL Starter?

• Ready

• 1 Season Post Draft

• 2 Seasons Post Draft

• 3 Seasons Post Draft

• 4 Seasons Post Draft

• 5 Seasons Post Draft

• More than 5 Seasons Post Draft

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
idk, maybe you're right on that but I still think at least going for that 1D, especially considering that if we won the lottery it would just be such a crazy gift from the gods that we really do not need at all. Because, honestly on our team how it is growing we could get elite numbers from a winger we draft late in the first round.

And ultimately the funny thing about all this is that the odds we get that pick are so very low. It's a 1/8 shot in that lottery but honestly I think the odds are even lower that Chicago beats us.
I don't think there's a single 1D I'd trade Lafreniere for who would actually be available. They're either old and extremely expensive, young and the team is building around them, or decent money/age but with limited term. After his 3 year ELC the Oilers have $8M in dead cap clearing up ($1.5M Sekera, $6.5M Lucic/Neal). Keeping Lafreniere would mean not just having a stacked top 6, it would also give the team the option to spread the wealth to 3 lines like the Penguins did during their cup runs.

-McDavid-
-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Lafreniere-RNH-

Who do you send your third pairing out against?

I agree that this is all improbable but it's fun to discuss. IMO the most likely thing to happen is they cancel the whole thing and they hold the second lottery without the Oilers/Pens/Leaf/etc..

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I don't think there's a single 1D I'd trade Lafreniere for who would actually be available. They're either old and extremely expensive, young and the team is building around them, or decent money/age but with limited term. After his 3 year ELC the Oilers have $8M in dead cap clearing up ($1.5M Sekera, $6.5M Lucic/Neal). Keeping Lafreniere would mean not just having a stacked top 6, it would also give the team the option to spread the wealth to 3 lines like the Penguins did during their cup runs.

-McDavid-
-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Lafreniere-RNH-

Who do you send your third pairing out against?

I agree that this is all improbable but it's fun to discuss. IMO the most likely thing to happen is they cancel the whole thing and they hold the second lottery without the Oilers/Pens/Leaf/etc..

Honestly you saw it with Toronto when they put Kadri in their bottom 6. Top 6 players just don't produce the way you want in the bottom 6.

We have great doeth guys down there. Load up the top 6. Lafreniere would be more dangerous with McDavid and Drai than on the 3rd line and we need a top 6 winger. He would be about as cheap as you can get.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I feel guilty for saying it but I'd actually prefer the 12.5% chance of Laf, especially in a season like this. I don't have confidence in our goaltending for a deep run after this long break. Laf on an ELC for 3 years with our group would be massive. You could even look at trade options.

Of course, we could also lose both the 1st round and lottery which would suck but 12.5% is pretty decent odds.

Lol... we're in the playoffs... and you don't want us to win...

Are you an Oilers fan?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
And why couldn't we keep Laff past ELC?
What franchise winger do we have? What forward other than McDrai do we have that will make him tradeable?

Laff would be part of the core if drafted. Easily our #3 player or maybe #2 if Drai cools down

Drai cools down LOL

Newsflash : Draisaitl didn't go on a hot run. How he plays now is how he will be for majority of his career

Reactions: perseus

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Honestly you saw it with Toronto when they put Kadri in their bottom 6. Top 6 players just don't produce the way you want in the bottom 6.

We have great doeth guys down there. Load up the top 6. Lafreniere would be more dangerous with McDavid and Drai than on the 3rd line and we need a top 6 winger. He would be about as cheap as you can get.
It wouldn't be an all the time thing, it's just an option the coach would have based on the opponent.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Drai cools down LOL

Newsflash : Draisaitl didn't go on a hot run. How he plays now is how he will be for majority of his career
We shall see. Hopefully Drai becomes a consistent 100pt player but I am not banking on it. More than happy with PPG production from him.

To claim Lafreniere may be outproducing Draisaitl down the road is not that outlandish esp if he clicks with McDavid.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We shall see. Hopefully Drai becomes a consistent 100pt player but I am not banking on it. More than happy with PPG production from him.

To claim Lafreniere may be outproducing Draisaitl down the road is not that outlandish esp if he clicks with McDavid.

Get outta here.

He scored 105 points last season and smashed those point totals this season in 71 games. He's the most consistent 100 point guy in the league currently outside of McDavid. I know you're not a fan of Drai but to insinuate that Lafreniere may outproduce Draisaitl down the road is beyond outlandish. He'd be the best player in the league if he did that.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Get outta here.

He scored 105 points last season and smashed those point totals this season in 71 games. He's the most consistent 100 point guy in the league currently outside of McDavid. I know you're not a fan of Drai but to insinuate that Lafreniere may outproduce Draisaitl down the road is beyond outlandish. He'd be the best player in the league if he did that.
The point remains... The Oilers are not anywhere close to being out of core player spots and can use another star player or 2 ..

Reactions: CycloneSweep

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
There is no tanking. The playoffs are a whole different beast. Any team can go on a streak and win the cup. We've got young legs, which might be perfect for this playoff run if it actually happens.

Let the chips fall where they may.

Go:edmontonGo

Reactions: Aerchon

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think I've been overrating Jack Quinn a bit. Really good player and I still think he'd be a perfect fit for us, but players like Gunler, Reichel, Jarvis, Zary, Mercer, and even Bourque are very similar level prospects.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There is a small part of me that would love to see Lafreniere go to the Habs. It would be pure insanity for that city, and I don't hate them as much as many others do.
I agree. I think he would turn that franchise around

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Get outta here.

Lafreniere-McDavid-X
vs
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto

Which line outproduces which line in the future?
With Laf, Mcdavid might even hit 150 points, so it's not unrealisitic Laf gets to 110 points or so.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If Edmonton selects 1st overall they will go down in history as the most talented team to not win a Stanley Cup.

Ship him to Montreal.
83-83 Oilers team was the most talented team to not win a SC.

What talent are you seeing other than McDrai? There is no #1 G, there is no #1 star Dman. We have Ennis and Kassian on top line wing.
No elite player in bottom 6.

2 or 3 elite players don't make a team.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's not even the playoffs it's a gimmicky tournament after a 5-6 month layoff.

The point remains... The Oilers are not anywhere close to being out of core player spots and can use another star player or 2 ..

If Edmonton selects 1st overall they will go down in history as the most talented team to not win a Stanley Cup.

Ship him to Montreal.

@Joey Moss Some franchises can afford to look at the playoffs this way but Edmonton can't. McDrai + ? are very competitive. They will think and play this tourney like it means getting into the real playoffs. Edmonton has too many non playoff appearances to just downplay this one.

@LTIR Edmonton has enough high end talent to be considered a legit playoff threat. A perennial playoffs team. The decade of darkness should have taught everyone talent by itself is useless. A balanced team goes further than a bunch of stars.

@GordieHoweHatTrick See above response and don't assume getting Laf means no cups. That's a little too pessimistic.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
83-83 Oilers team was the most talented team to not win a SC.

What talent are you seeing other than McDrai? There is no #1 G, there is no #1 star Dman. We have Ennis and Kassian on top line wing.
No elite player in bottom 6.

2 or 3 elite players don't make a team.

McDrai Yama RNH + 2 scrubs is looking like one of the best top 6 in the league.

Most teams have talent and balance issues. Edmonton is legitimately a top 10 team in the state it's currently in. Be nice to have more but balance at this point just as important as talent.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
@Joey Moss Some franchises can afford to look at the playoffs this way but Edmonton can't. McDrai + ? are very competitive. They will think and play this tourney like it means getting into the real playoffs. Edmonton has too many non playoff appearances to just downplay this one.

@LTIR Edmonton has enough high end talent to be considered a legit playoff threat. A perennial playoffs team. The decade of darkness should have taught everyone talent by itself is useless. A balanced team goes further than a bunch of stars.

@GordieHoweHatTrick See above response and don't assume getting Laf means no cups. That's a little too pessimistic.
I guess we can agree to disagree that Oilers have enough high end talent to be considered a legit playoffs threat.
We can use a true #1G, a true #1D and a couple of true top 6 wingers.

To say we can't use Lafreniere as a core player is just false!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Lafreniere-McDavid-X
vs
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto

Which line outproduces which line in the future?
With Laf, Mcdavid might even hit 150 points, so it's not unrealisitic Laf gets to 110 points or so.

McDavid couldn't even get to 120 points playing with possibly the best all around offensive player in the league so now he could get 150 points playing with Lafreniere? Talk about vastly overrating a prospect, or vastly underrating Draisaitl.

I never disputed that. I disputed your usual off the mark Draisaitl remark.
Also, the Oilers don't need another star player up front. They need a star player on the blueline.

I'd be happy with Lafraniere but it's not an absolute necessity to add another star player up front. If Lafraniere is as good as you guys say he'll be, they won't be able to afford him after his ELC unless they dump RNH and/ or Yamamoto and maintain a cheap defensive core.
BTW, Yamamoto has the potential to be a star player if he can consistently score PPG along with his other intangibles

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
McDavid couldn't even get to 120 points playing with possibly the best all around offensive player in the league so now he could get 150 points playing with Lafreniere? Talk about vastly overrating a prospect, or vastly underrating Draisaitl.
McDavid was on pace for 124 points if he played 82 games and no he didn't play with Drai the entire season. I think you're the one underrating McDavid. 110 points for Drai is right where he is. 110 points in 71 games may be a career year for Drai.

All I'm saying is an elite player and a generational talent on one line is better than an elite player with 2 good players

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
McDavid was on pace for 124 points if he played 82 games and no he didn't play with Drai the entire season. I think you're the one underrating McDavid. 110 points for Drai is right where he is. 110 points in 71 games may be a career year for Drai.

All I'm saying is an elite player and a generational talent on one line is better than an elite player with 2 good players

Assuming that McDavid could score 150 points with Lafraniere when he couldn't get even remotely close to that with, lets be honest, a guy who will in all likelihood be better than Lafraniere ever will be offensively is outlandish.

Who are you comparing?
Lafraniere (elite)-McDavid (generational)
vs.
RNH (good)-Draisaitl (elite)-Yamamoto (good)

Again, I'd be happy with Lafraniere but it's going to cause complications when they need to re-sign RNH and Yamamoto and ice a good defense.

Reactions: perseus

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
McDavid scored 17pts in last 10 games played. During this time he had only 3 primary assists at ES. a goal by Kassian, one by Drai and an empty netter by Archibald. Kassian has 1 goal in last 10 GP, Ennis 1 and Archibald 2 playing on the top line.
To say we have the best top 6 in the league is just wrong. We can certainly use Lafrennier on the top line long term. Not wanting Laf because we are worried about Yamamoto's and RNH extension down the road is strange thinking. Don't we have half the fan base wanting Hall back at 7M per? Laf would be much better age group and cap wise.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Assuming that McDavid could score 150 points with Lafraniere when he couldn't get even remotely close to that with, lets be honest, a guy who will in all likelihood be better than Lafraniere ever will be offensively is outlandish.

Who are you comparing?
Lafraniere (elite)-McDavid (generational)
vs.
RNH (good)-Draisaitl (elite)-Yamamoto (good)

Again, I'd be happy with Lafraniere but it's going to cause complications when they need to re-sign RNH and Yamamoto and ice a good defense.
Then you deal with it then and move one of those guys for defense and hopefully by then you have someone internally that can fill one of those forward spots

Reactions: LTIR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->