Prospect Info: The Premature 2020 Draft Thread

How Many Seasons Until Yaroslav Askarov is an NHL Starter?

• Ready

• 1 Season Post Draft

• 2 Seasons Post Draft

• 3 Seasons Post Draft

• 4 Seasons Post Draft

• 5 Seasons Post Draft

• More than 5 Seasons Post Draft

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Well to be fair its a draft rankings and not necessarily a mock draft.

Pretty sure 5-6 d-man will go in the top 20 at the very least and probably 7-8 in top 30.

That being said I think its a pretty weak draft for dman. I dont think 7-8 should be going in the first round.

Oh I get that it's just rankings and not a mock. I just think it's a sign of a bad scout to rank so many forwards and exclude dmen. On average forwards are much easier to project. As a scout it's your job not to just rank players based on how good they currently are but how good they project to be. Do your job and let us know which defenceman you think will make the jump. Dont just rank them all in the second and call it a crapshoot.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oh I get that it's just rankings and not a mock. I just think it's a sign of a bad scout to rank so many forwards and exclude dmen. On average forwards are much easier to project. As a scout it's your job not to just rank players based on how good they currently are but how good they project to be. Do your job and let us know which defenceman you think will make the jump. Dont just rank them all in the second and call it a crapshoot.
There aren't many defenders in this draft. There is a couple and they are ranked in the first.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I get that it's a weaker draft for defenceman. But when you average 8-12 dmen in the first round and you only have 4 ranked, that's a problem.
Not really. Teams will always reach for defenders and it rarely turns out for them. Just cause teams are dumb and reach for meh defenders doesn't mean they should be ranked higher. And not at all a sign of bad scouts they rank the players based on what they see and teams will reach cause reasons.

Ps: like the Oilers did last year. There was 3-5 forwards that would of easily been a better pick and we reached for a defender cause they wanted one

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I get that it's a weaker draft for defenceman. But when you average 8-12 dmen in the first round and you only have 4 ranked, that's a problem.

I agree with his rankings. There's only about five defensemen that I think should go in the 1st this year.

Undoubtedly some teams will reach to grab their Logan Stanleys, Filip Johanssons and Noah Juulsens, but I don't think that means you should rank them higher.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Shift by shift of Lukas Reichel. I have him in my top-20 but I think that may still be too low. The skill, skating, and IQ he displays for someone as young as he is playing against men is incredible.

This channel also has shift-by-shifts of Amirov, Holloway, Quinn, and others.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Shift by shift of Lukas Reichel. I have him in my top-20 but I think that may still be too low. The skill, skating, and IQ he displays for someone as young as he is playing against men is incredible.

I want him bad for the Oilers pick. Him or Jarvis, please.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Hot take: Im not convinced that Quinn is any better than Reichel.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Well done

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Hot take: Im not convinced that Quinn is any better than Reichel.
Honestly I agree, and I'm as big a fan of Quinn as any. Reichel has more playmaking potential and while his shot isn't at the same level, his ability to get open and create space for himself is incredible.

Another hot take: Reichel might be a top-10 prospect in this draft.

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Apparently Sam Consentino said that Perfetti going to the Wings at 4 is almost as big a lock as Lafreniere going 1st.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Apparently Sam Consentino said that Perfetti going to the Wings at 4 is almost as big a lock as Lafreniere going 1st.

Yzerman's 1st round record isn't awesome drafting, but Perfetti's hockey sense is elite and I could see him appreciating that.

Cosentino's reasoning though is because Detroit and Saginaw are so close together and frankly, that doesn't mean Yzerman just takes him. Yzerman said there's a decent group to have to pick from and also mentioned the importance of some of the European guys being able to play this fall - that seemed to me to be a nod that they're still looking at Rossi (who may play in Switzerland), Holtz/Raymond (Sweden) and of course Stutzle if he lasts.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Yzerman's 1st round record isn't awesome drafting, but Perfetti's hockey sense is elite and I could see him appreciating that.

Cosentino's reasoning though is because Detroit and Saginaw are so close together and frankly, that doesn't mean Yzerman just takes him. Yzerman said there's a decent group to have to pick from and also mentioned the importance of some of the European guys being able to play this fall - that seemed to me to be a nod that they're still looking at Rossi (who may play in Switzerland), Holtz/Raymond (Sweden) and of course Stutzle if he lasts.
Ah, didn't know that. If that's the case I wouldn't call him a lock at all. Trevor Zegras and Cole Caufield played in Michigan last year and Yzerman went with a German kid.

Unless Constantino has inside information that Detroit is interested in Perfetti.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I been watching all these mock draft scenerios where Detroit is picking Drysdale but honestly I just dont see it. I cant see them swinging on another RD (Seider is a RD). Perfetti makes more sense as I suspect they will be looking for a center. I also wonder if they may be looking at Sanderson at #4. From Bob's list a few scouts are really high on him (HP likes him better than Drysdale too). I personally dont think hes a #4 pick but I wouldnt be suprised if a Sanderson - Seider pairing is appealing to them.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I been watching all these mock draft scenerios where Detroit is picking Drysdale but honestly I just dont see it. I cant see them swinging on another RD (Seider is a RD). Perfetti makes more sense as I suspect they will be looking for a center. I also wonder if they may be looking at Sanderson at #4. From Bob's list a few scouts are really high on him (HP likes him better than Drysdale too). I personally dont think hes a #4 pick but I wouldnt be suprised if a Sanderson - Seider pairing is appealing to them.
I agree. I think they go forward, but if they do pick a defenseman I think it will be Sanderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad