Prospect Info: The Adolescent 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Just stay away from the Euros. For some reason our European Scouting seems quite bad. Hughes, Cozens, Dach, Byram if we're in the position to draft one of them

Hint: it's not the European Scouts that are the problem, at least not in the first round. @GameChanger is absolutely right to be wary of us drafting anyone that differs too much from a good ole Canadian boy.

Reactions: McDrai

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Hint: it's not the European Scouts that are the problem, at least not in the first round. @GameChanger is absolutely right to be wary of us drafting anyone that differs too much from a good ole Canadian boy.

I don't want to sound too harsh, but I guess I just meant to mention the alarm bells. Of course one can always hope this time things would be different but I don't know...

Matti Virmanen (Oilers scout) went to watch Kakko a month ago and he said he liked what he saw. This got several Finnish hockey fans scared.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't want to sound too harsh, but I guess I just meant to mention the alarm bells. Of course one can always hope this time things would be different but I don't know...

Matti Virmanen (Oilers scout) went to watch Kakko a month ago and he said he liked what he saw. This got several Finnish hockey fans scared.

God that's almost impressive. The Oilers organization has gotten such a bad rep that fans from other countries are worried when our scouts praise their players lmao. And I don't blame them one bit. Sigh.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
I have seen few games from Kaapo Kakko while visiting Finland and he is a gem.

He can dominate with adults allready as he has so amazing strenght at lowerbody. Likes to play near boards and has high iq.
Now he has played center also and even does it well.

Still some junior plays etc. But damn he is promising!

Though Oilers to get top. 2 pick... season must be horrible...

Reactions: GameChanger

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
God that's almost impressive. The Oilers organization has gotten such a bad rep that fans from other countries are worried when our scouts praise their players lmao. And I don't blame them one bit. Sigh.

Even with Pulju's case I personally don't want to talk anything bad about the Oilers so please don't take me wrong. But I also like to talk about things as they are. The the Oilers have played had to be a big reason, but hockey fans are aware of the development side and the difficulties with Pulju too.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
The thing about Kakko (and this can be seen as a positive or a negative) is that he had a clearly quieter time in the FEL. So while that means he's naturally still not ready he's produced some really impressive numbers at the other times.

If we don't worry about the nationatily issues I would pay some special attention to Finnish defenders as there's been some great youngsters coming to the NHL lately. Some of them are really mobile, used to play against adults and good with the puck which fit the current hockey well.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Looking at a guy like Cozens makes me hope the Oilers have learned their lesson. Don't draft a guy because he's big and fast.

Find the smartest and most skilled players and go with one of them, please.

How do you like Suzuki?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
So, the team is trash

I want Dach (obviously if we could somehow tank for Hughes/Kakko that would be amazing)

Podkolzin is another great one

Kaliyev and Krebs would also be welcome

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Just wait til Chia trades away our first rounder...

giphy.gif

Reactions: thadd

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
How do you like Suzuki?

I haven't watched much of him but I really like what I've seen and read. Seems like a better version of his older brother - another prospect I like and am surprised Vegas gave up.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I haven't watched much of him but I really like what I've seen and read. Seems like a better version of his older brother - another prospect I like and am surprised Vegas gave up.

From what I've seen at the world juniors he's a great playmaker who absolutely hates shooting. Has some skills and always seems to be in a good position to keep the play going.

Reactions: Aerrol

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
How do you like Suzuki?

He's super smart and skilled, but he's a tough guy to get a read on as far as projecting goes because he's so smart, IMO.

He's always in the right spot and he loves to slow the game down, so his game lacks a dynamic element. That's not to say he can't play dynamically, but that's where I run into problems projecting him in the NHL. It's tough to play that style in the NHL and it seems like players really need to be able to push the tempo in today's game.

I think he'll end up going somewhere close to where his brother went.

Reactions: Zaddy

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I hope for this draft we go after some highly skilled forwards. That is if Chiarelli doesn't trade away the rest of our draft picks (which I don't doubt since he is an idiotic and desperate GM at the moment)

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
So, the team is trash

I want Dach (obviously if we could somehow tank for Hughes/Kakko that would be amazing)

Podkolzin is another great one

Kaliyev and Krebs would also be welcome
No interest in Cozens?

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Looks like finishing at the bottom of the league might be our best option. No way we're able to shore up our deficiencies any other way. We need a top 6 player that can drive a line/score goals and no other team employs Chiarelli level gm, so we're not getting one handed to us.

The defense wouldn't be so bad if Klef could just stay healthy; the emergence of Jones and Bouchard in the pipeline improves the position as well. We need to hit on a top end offensive player in this draft badly. Can't expect to win games with only McDavid/Drai/Nuge on the score sheet game in and game out.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I would take Kakko over Hughes...Hughes has a muffin shot...we need shooter.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
If the top dub boys of Cozens and Dach are gone I like Podkolzin or Krebs.

If we pick a little later I'd go for Pelletier or Brett the reason Leason. Pelletier with 21 goals in 36 games is fire and he can pass too.

Offense wise as I'd love some secondary scoring to go along with McDavid.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Just please don’t pick any Finns, Russians or Swedes in the first couple of rounds. We can’t develop them worth a damn and it’s justvaxwaste of time. Stick to the dub and hope for the best.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
If the top dub boys of Cozens and Dach are gone I like Podkolzin or Krebs.

If we pick a little later I'd go for Pelletier or Brett the reason Leason. Pelletier with 21 goals in 36 games is fire and he can pass too.

Offense wise as I'd love some secondary scoring to go along with McDavid.
I’m thinking Podkolzin might be off the board before Cozens and Dach.

Reactions: lakai17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad