Line Combos: The Powerplay with Ryder

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
What do you think will happen with Ryder and his great shot back on the Habs?

Obviously he should proably play on the left wing to set up the one timer, but he is often in the high slot from what I remember/What I have since leaving MTL the first time. Where would you use him and would you have to change our approach on the PP with him entering the fold? What do you think MT will do?

Here's what I would do:
1st unit:
Ryder-DD-Pacioretty
Diaz-Markov

Ryder: On the left, high half-wall he is first forward option for the shot.
DD: In motion, posting up in different areas, causing problems for the PKers with his constant shifting of positions
Pacioretty: In his sweet spot, In the right corner, behind the net, and low right side for feeds, rebounds and one timers.
Markov/Diaz: Play the points and move/switch at The General's command.

2nd Unit:
Gallagher/Eller-Plekanec-Galchenyuk
Subban-Boullion/Emelin

They would all play the same roles unless Eller slots in, and then instead it work this way:

Eller: Goes in front of the net, Holmstrom style, Goes for rebounds, uses his size and great hands to pot garbage goals, jump out for the one-timer in the slot.
Plekanec: Down below the net/spotting up in the two lower walls to connect passes and move the puck
Galchenyuk: High Right wall, the AK27 spot. Uses his lazerbeam to rip shots, passes over to Subban or Plekanec for one timers.
Subban, Diaz, Emelin: Feed Galchenyuk, Subban Shoots, Subban can one time to Galchenyuk. Boullion/Emelin shoot to get puck on the net for Eller/ Plekanec, who come in for rebounds/tips, also set up Galchenyuk.

Thoughts? (Hopefully I didn't screw this up :laugh:)

EDIT: Also I was surprised to see in the GDT that we still have the 10th ranked PP. Surprising Perhaps PPs aren't doing too well this year.

EDIT: My bad about Subban one timing himself :baghead:

Last edited:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
What do you think will happen with Ryder and his great shot back on the Habs?

Obviously he should proably play on the left wing to set up the one timer, but he is often in the high slot from what I remember/What I have since leaving MTL the first time. Where would you use him and would you have to change our approach on the PP with him entering the fold? What do you think MT will do?

Here's what I would do:
1st unit:
Ryder-DD-Pacioretty
Diaz-Markov

Ryder: On the left, high half-wall he is first forward option for the shot.
DD: In motion, posting up in different areas, causing problems for the PKers with his constant shifting of positions
Pacioretty: In his sweet spot, In the right corner, behind the net, and low right side for feeds, rebounds and one timers.
Markov/Diaz: Play the points and move/switch at The General's command.

2nd Unit:
Gallagher/Eller-Plekanec-Galchenyuk
Subban-Boullion/Emelin

They would all play the same roles unless Eller slots in, and then instead it work this way:

Eller: Goes in front of the net, Holmstrom style, Goes for rebounds, uses his size and great hands to pot garbage goals, jump out for the one-timer in the slot.
Plekanec: Down below the net/spotting up in the two lower walls to connect passes and move the puck
Galchenyuk: High Right wall, the AK27 spot. Uses his lazerbeam to rip shots, passes over to Subban or Plekanec for one timers.
Subban, Diaz, Emelin: Feed Galchenyuk, Subban Shoots, Subban can one time to Subban, Galchenyuk. Boullion/Emelin shoot to get puck on the net for Eller/ Plekanec, who come in for rebounds/tips, also set up Galchenyuk.

Thoughts? (Hopefully I didn't screw this up :laugh:)

Not enough experience there they've been struggling a lot when MT does give them the opportunity.

We still need the usual Plek bunch.

But maybe MT should consider using them in games that we are leading by 3 in the 3rd.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Galchenyuk-Eller-Ryder
Prust-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Moen-White-Armstrong

Dec 2, 2010
We need a body upfront. DD screening is okay but I'd rather he shows off his passing behind the net or half wall like Joe Thornton.

Patch-DD-Eller/Gallagher
Subban-Markov

Ryder-Plek-Chucky
Emelin-Diaz

Eller, Gally and Alex can screen the goalie.

Apr 28, 2010
As much as we hate seeing gionta out there, we will still see him out there on every powerplay we get. So just accept it! :laugh:

So for 1st unit, i'd have
Gionta on the left side, bourque (when he comes back) screening the goalie and pleks on the right side with diaz/markov

For 2nd unit,
Ryder left side, i think maxpac needs to be the one screening the goalie then dd on the right side with subban/bouillon

The kids will only get pp chances if we're up by 2-3 goals, what i think. No pp ice time during close games.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
We need a body upfront. DD screening is okay but I'd rather he shows off his passing behind the net or half wall like Joe Thornton.

Patch-DD-Eller/Gallagher
Subban-Markov

Ryder-Plek-Chucky
Emelin-Diaz

Eller, Gally and Alex can screen the goalie.

This. I fail to see why DD is always the one screening the goalie! :laugh:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Therrien must have too little time on his hands because he just tosses out the regular lines on every ****ing power play.

The best thing you can hope for is that Ryder replaces "The Black Hole" next to Plekanec because "The Black Hole" is a 0-dimensional player.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
The best part of Ryder is the possibility of Gionta playing his last shift on the PP

If he still gets a regular shift on the PP ................... gonna protest.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
The best part of Ryder is the possibility of Gionta playing his last shift on the PP

If he still gets a regular shift on the PP ................... gonna protest.

What exactly makes you think that he'd be taken off now if he wasn't taken off earlier? Ryder will just replace Cole (shocking, I know).

Zeroknowledge*

For our power play's sake I think we should just use Diaz, Markov and Subban while double shifting one of them on every single power play. Having Bouillon on the power play is a liability.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
What exactly makes you think that he'd be taken off now if he wasn't taken off earlier? Ryder will just replace Cole (shocking, I know).

Whoever runs the PP needs to get it through his thick skull that he's not required to play the ES lines as the PP lines.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Whoever runs the PP needs to get it through his thick skull that he's not required to play the ES lines as the PP lines.

But the point is he/they do. I don't get why people are expecting otherwise. That's not to say I wouldn't like to see a change, but it is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad