The Power Play Thread

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
They don't have players to win fights on the board. They have to arrive in the opponent's zone already in control of the puck. The dumping won't help at all.
How did that work so far?

Get the no talent Danault out there and let him win that puck on the board cuz he can f***ing do it!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Ok, so you are a Danault fan. That's good. I couldn't stand people bashing him all year before his recent success. But at least most have come around.
A lot of people around here just don't understand hockey.

Danault is a beauty!

Reactions: JAPPO

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I hear all these conversations on line, on the radio, in the streets that the power play is still a problem.

The 5 on 4 power play is fixed. All they needed to do was put Kotkaniemi on the right half wall, Weber on the left, and Drouin as the QB. And they did that.

Now, all the the coaching staff needs to do is not wreck the 4 on 3 power play by taking Kotkaniemi off of it. Keep KK on the top right side, Weber on the top left, Drouin down low with one of Tatar, Domi, or Gallagher on the other side down low. If you want Armia in front of the net that's fine.

Let's see if it takes the coaching staff another 50 games this time to realize this.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I hear all these conversations on line, on the radio, in the streets that the power play is still a problem.

The 5 on 4 power play is fixed. All they needed to do was put Kotkaniemi on the right half wall, Weber on the left, and Drouin as the QB. And they did that.

Now, all the the coaching staff needs to do is not wreck the 4 on 3 power play by taking Kotkaniemi off of it. Keep KK on the top right side, Weber on the top left, Drouin down low with one of Tatar, Domi, or Gallagher on the other side down low. If you want Armia in front of the net that's fine.

Let's see if it takes the coaching staff another 50 games this time to realize this.
I think the coaching staff get it, but the lack of talent we have, and the soft play on the PP last night was the problem. That OT was ours to lose, and we did. Glad to see for the most part, the 5 on 4 has been much better, but the 4 on 3 was embarassing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think the coaching staff get it, but the lack of talent we have, and the soft play on the PP last night was the problem. That OT was ours to lose, and we did. Glad to see for the most part, the 5 on 4 has been much better, but the 4 on 3 was embarassing.

I like Domi. But he's not nearly as effective as Kotkaniemi on that half wall. On the 4 on 3 you need two one time shots up high and players that are good with the puck down low to either be a threat to score down low or give a good pass to the guys up top for a one timer. It's a simple formula. with that box of 4 and only 3 defenders, some one is always open for a good shot.

With Kotkaniemi in there and a good formation on a 4 on 3, I put our chances of scoring at 75% or higher. But our personnel and formation was abysmal.

I'd have righties on the left and lefties on the right.

Gallagher Drouin
Weber Kotkaniemi

Easy goal - or at least a ton of open chances.

I think that 4 some is pretty damn good personnel. Weber is one of the top scoring power play dmen of all time. Gallagher is on pace for another 30 goal season. Drouin is one of the better players in the league when the opposition only has 3 players on the ice, and Kotkaniemi is Kotkaniemi, he's the eagle genius.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I like Domi. But he's not nearly as effective as Kotkaniemi on that half wall. On the 4 on 3 you need two one time shots up high and players that are good with the puck down low to either be a threat to score down low or give a good pass to the guys up top for a one timer. It's a simple formula. with that box of 4 and only 3 defenders, some one is always open for a good shot.

With Kotkaniemi in there and a good formation on a 4 on 3, I put our chances of scoring at 75% or higher. But our personnel and formation was abysmal.

I'd have righties on the left and lefties on the right.

Gallagher Drouin
Weber Kotkaniemi

Easy goal - or at least a ton of open chances.

I think that 4 some is pretty damn good personnel.
Our skill guys though, just don't match up on a PP like most good teams. WAS, Pens, Leafs, TB etc

Agreed though, Koko needs to be used more, because of his skill.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Our skill guys though, just don't match up on a PP like most good teams. WAS, Pens, Leafs, TB etc

Agreed though, Koko needs to be used more, because of his skill.

I added to that post after you quoted it. Here's why I think that foursome is pretty damn good for a 4 on 3:

Weber is one of the top scoring power play dmen of all time. Gallagher is on pace for another 30 goal season and a pest in front of the net. Drouin is one of the better players in the league when the opposition only has 3 players on the ice. And, Kotkaniemi is Kotkaniemi, he's the eagle genius.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
With our poor powerplay I looked it up, we have 28th worst powerplay in league. But one thing I noticed looking at the ranking. The 5 teams with worst powerplays are all in the playoff. Kind of puzzling - you would think it would be the other way around? Some of those teams are legit Cup contenders . Like the Leafs, who are as bad as we are on powerplay.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
A lot of people around here just don't understand hockey.

Danault is a beauty!
like the ones who think Danaults is so f***ing much better stat wise (every stat obviously) than guys like Kevin Hayes ?

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
With our poor powerplay I looked it up, we have 28th worst powerplay in league. But one thing I noticed looking at the ranking. The 5 teams with worst powerplays are all in the playoff. Kind of puzzling - you would think it would be the other way around? Some of those teams are legit Cup contenders . Like the Leafs, who are as bad as we are on powerplay.

Toronto is significantly better. You're looking at power play goals when you should be looking at the percentages. Toronto is at 20%(16th), we are at 13.5%(30th). They have 4 more powerplay goals than we do but they've been on the powerplay 38 times less(178 vs 140 powerplays)

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
like the ones who think Danaults is so ****ing much better stat wise (every stat obviously) than guys like Kevin Hayes ?

The fact that danault compares to Kevin Hayes means he IS much better than Hayes for a team considering Hayes makes over 2m/year more than danault.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
At this point they overthink on the powerplay. They just have to remain clever and move the puck around with purpose, not moving it around just to move it around without geting the other team's box to move. They have to read the moments and anticipate the shot to screen the goalie and crash the net for rebounds.

Im hopeful it will get sorted out for the playoffs

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Toronto is significantly better. You're looking at power play goals when you should be looking at the percentages. Toronto is at 20%(16th), we are at 13.5%(30th). They have 4 more powerplay goals than we do but they've been on the powerplay 38 times less(178 vs 140 powerplays)
Sportsnet said we are tied with Toronto for 28th worst? Nashville has worst powerplay in league I remember. There were other top teams with bad powerplays

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
We don't have the talent to be a top PP team, but we have some good pieces where we should at least be a middle of the pack team on the PP. I'd take Armia and Tatar off the first unit and throw Petry and Shaw out there.

- Shaw can help with faceoffs and he's done great all year crashing the net and deflecting the puck.
- Petry can help actually get the puck in the zone and we need more movement on the PP. He also has a hard shot so he's another option penalty killers have to look out for.

Basically this would leave us with Weber, Drouin, Petry and Kotka who are all threats to shoot, then a guy in Shaw who will cause chaos in front of the net and help retrieve the puck.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The PP is doing a fine job lately, since Julien took over they're much better than they were before!

We're at 19.2% in the last 9 games.

Breathe...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->