The Power Play Thread

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
No Kotkaniemi hasn't been tried on the right half wall. Nor has Weber in Ovechkin's office, as opposed to on the point. Nor has Armia in front of the net.

Kotka was tried on the right half wall earlier in the season, and Armia was also tried near the net several times.
Not sure if Weber was tried on Ovy's spot this year, but I do remember he was tried there last year and it didnt work at all

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
What about swapping Domi and Drouin in your proposal? Domi is a better, more poised playmaker than Drouin. I wouldn't trust Drouin's tendency for turnovers being the last man back, but with his lethal shot and great stick handling, he could work well in the slot. Otherwise, I like your ideas.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Kotka was tried on the right half wall earlier in the season, and Armia was also tried near the net several times.
Not sure if Weber was tried on Ovy's spot this year, but I do remember he was tried there last year and it didnt work at all
Weber, unlike Ovy, does not have the mobility to always stay in movement on the PP. Without that strength he becomes useless in that spot.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I agree with Weber being on the half wall like Ovi, we should try to run a setup like Washingtons PP and use Weber like Ovi.

Its not like Ovi the PP run through Ovi, hes a deadly 1 timer threat tho and forces opposing players to play safe. Opens up space for everyone else on the ice.
Sure, Habs have passers like Backstrom and Kuznetzov lol

Reactions: Oryxo

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Kotkaniemi has been tried on the left half wall and on the low right side. Armia has not been tried in front of the net (Gallagher, Shaw, and Lehkonen's spot).

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sure, Habs have passers like Backstrom and Kuznetzov lol

We had one (Markov) but Bergevin didn't think he really needed to be treated with much respect in contract talks, or in talking about him to the media.

But I think between Kotkaniemi, Drouin, Domi, and Petry, we should be fine.

Reactions: the

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
MB would never re-acquire him. He saw him as part of the “attitude” problem.

Yeah, but really what we had was a center-problem, and a painfully slow and immobile left-d problem.

The real fix was we now have a center line of: Domi, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Chaput, as opposed to Drouin, Danault, past-his-expiration-date-Plekanec, Froese. And we now have a left d side of Mete, Reilly, Kulak, instead of rookie-Mete, Alzner, Schlemko, and a healthy Weber.

Galchenyuk wasn't the problem.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Its just bad all around. The talent on the 1 PP is ok with Drouin and Weber. But Drouin fails to execute sometimes. Also zone entries are horrible and they never win the FO. Lekhonen is a PP 2 guy but not on the 1st PP. So its really lacking a talented shooter if Weber is taken out.

When you have Agostino and Armia on your PP you have a lack of talent. Shaw will help either PP but still those are not PP guys. And yes its up to CJ coaching, but the choices after that aren't great either. Byron/KK/Lek/Danault aren't big PP producers.

So the talent is a problem, but its compounded by the fact that they can't enter the zone, or win face off. And then teams just cheat on Weber.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
MB would never re-acquire him. He saw him as part of the “attitude” problem.
Who cares, since Chucky wont even consider signing here and teams dont acquire players just to send them back to the same team in the same season of the trade. But I would openly take him

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
PP1:
---- 15 ----
11 ------ 90
-- 26 - 13 --

PP2:
---- 24 ----
40 ---- 62
-- 6 - 92 --

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
PP1:
---- 15 ----
11 ------ 90
-- 26 - 13 --

PP2:
---- 24 ----
40 ---- 62
-- 6 - 92 --

For me it's:

PP1:
---- 40/11 ----
6 ------ 15
-- 26/13 ---
---- 92 --

PP2:
---- 24/65/62 ----
40/11 ---- 90
-- 26/13 ---
--- Reilly --​

Last edited:

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Weber, unlike Ovy, does not have the mobility to always stay in movement on the PP. Without that strength he becomes useless in that spot.

Actually, I find it comical how little ovi actually moves on the powerplay.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

2 goals... so what?
You also have to realize Ovy barely takes any time to rip his shot off. Weber needs to wind up big time giving the defenders a lot of time to recover if they are not in a position to block his shot.
Weber simply cant do what Ovy is doing.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
2 goals... so what?

I'm not arguing.Watch his games, I always have a laugh, he looks like a kid standing in the outfield during a baseball game, bored as heck until the puck is about to come his way. He literally doesn't try he just waits, it's glorious.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
2 goals... so what?
You also have to realize Ovy barely takes any time to rip his shot off. Weber needs to wind up big time giving the defenders a lot of time to recover if they are no
2 goals... so what?
You also have to realize Ovy barely takes any time to rip his shot off. Weber needs to wind up big time giving the defenders a lot of time to recover if they are not in a position to block his shot.

t in a position to block his shot.

Here is literally every goal from the ovi spot by ovi, a rebuttal to your 2 goals so what. Earlier he moved a bit more, if you go towards the end where he has fully accepted his fate as trigger man, itsi hilarious.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
2 goals... so what?

Oh, I don't disagree that weber can't do what ovi is doing. But ovis goals from the ovi spot isn't because of his mobility. It's his once in history shot.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Oh, I don't disagree that weber can't do what ovi is doing. But ovis goals from the ovi spot isn't because of his mobility. It's his once in history shot.
I dont know. I get the sense from watching Weber on the PP that he just is very stiff out there and his shot although dangerous takes too long to get off. And the bad thing is hes got all the respect around the entire league so i doubt anyone is gonna tell him what hes doing wrong or dare remove him from the pp and try other combos.
Maybe i was wrong in my analysis of Ovy that he is always in movement. Regardless he stills moves alot more than Weber. But then again, you see players like Laine not move at all and look at him score.
Im convinced the problem is actually his shot arsenal/usage. It takes to long to get his slapper off and doesnt use any other shots to score on the PP. Laine and Ovy both shoot at lightning speed. Weber, unfort for us, cant do that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I dont know. I get the sense from watching Weber on the PP that he just is very stiff out there and his shot although dangerous takes too long to get off. And the bad thing is hes got all the respect around the entire league so i doubt anyone is gonna tell him what hes doing wrong or dare remove him from the pp and try other combos.
Maybe i was wrong in my analysis of Ovy that he is always in movement. Regardless he stills moves alot more than Weber. But then again, you see players like Laine not move at all and look at him score.
Im convinced the problem is actually his shot arsenal/usage. It takes to long to get his slapper off and doesnt use any other shots to score on the PP. Laine and Ovy both shoot at lightning speed. Weber, unfort for us, cant do that.

Weber's definitely got to learn to get his shot off on a one timer quickly, even if it's not his full powered shot.

Many times I've seen the puck go over to him and he doesn't shoot it because it isn't exactly where he wants it. Just shoot it!

Reactions: Legend123

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Weber's definitely got to learn to get his shot off on a one timer quickly, even if it's not his full powered shot.

Many times I've seen the puck go over to him and he doesn't shoot it because it isn't exactly where he wants it. Just shoot it!
Exactly my thinking

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Ovi doesn't have to move because the Caps have other threats all over the ice...whether it's Carlson, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie.

Variety is the best PP weapon.

The Habs have NO variety...it's Shea Weber or nothing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ovi doesn't have to move because the Caps have other threats all over the ice...whether it's Carlson, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie.

Variety is the best PP weapon.

The Habs have NO variety...it's Shea Weber or nothing.

I really think Kotkaniemi on the right half wall for the one timer could be a good threat. Maybe not as big a threat as Galchenyuk (yet), but still would be a good threat. They'd tried Lehkonen there for god's sake. it's ridiculous.

Also, Drouin or Petry at the top of the diamond as a QB could develop into a threat. If they cover Weber too closely, Drouin/Petry and Kotakanimi could create on the right side.

Reactions: 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad