The Power Play Thread

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We have the worst pp in the league. It's a big issue. Where would we be in the standings if we were middle of the pack? This topic deserves it's own thread.

I still think we have the personnel. But we're not using them in the right places.

Firstly, Kotkaniemi has the best combination of vision, finding seams, and a great one-timer. He's got to be on the right half-wall (Galchneyuk's office).

Shea Weber - not slick enough to be the QB, but the one timer is killer. He should be on the left half wall (Ovechkin's office).

Drouin is not perfect as the QB at the top of the diamond, but imo he has the highest potential. If he can't hack it, audition Petry, Domi, and Reilly.

Gallagher - in front of the net. If he's not screening the goalie enough because of his size, try Armia. Armia is also good at puck retrievals in the corner to keep the puck in the zone.

Domi - good vision and shot. He should be in the high slot/roaming to create and shoot.

2nd Unit: Petry, Reilly, Tatar, Lehkonen/Armia (in front of the net), Byron.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Danault is probably as hot as he has ever been in his career. I wouldn't normally say he should be on there, but with the way things are going it couldn't hurt. It might also be nice to see what winning a faceoff on a PP would look like.

Reactions: HKbleu

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I would pretty much try what you said minus the Armia part.

But in the likely event that it doesnt work, I would look for cheap options on the market. I think Buchnevich is a worthy consideration

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Problem is we don't have a true Q.B. Once Markov left that was it. We have guys who will go to the front of the net (Gally, Shaw, Tatar, Lehkonen). We have guys who can play half wall on Left side (Kotka, Domi, Drouin). Guys for shooting postion on right side (Weber, Petry). Danault, Drouin, Tatar, Kotak can also play the high slot.

But, who plays the point? I love Mete's passing skill, but without a shot threat they'll just play off him. Marky was dangerous in so many ways. He could shoot, make plays, and sneak down low for easy tips in or plays to the slot.

Weber and Petry can both shoot but aren't great playmakers.

Until we get a good QB back there, we'll continue to suck.
'

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We are so bad it's time to mimic the 5v5 success. No more forwards on the point no more favorites. Got a hot line play them and keep Mete with Weber and Reilly with Petry.

Why does this not resonate in someones head on that staff?

Reactions: HKbleu and BLONG7

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
We are so bad it's time to mimic the 5v5 success. No more forwards on the point no more favorites. Got a hot line play them and keep Mete with Weber and Reilly with Petry.

I agree might as well try pretending it’s still 5 on 5. There’s no way we could do any worse.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I agree with Weber being on the half wall like Ovi, we should try to run a setup like Washingtons PP and use Weber like Ovi.

Its not like Ovi the PP run through Ovi, hes a deadly 1 timer threat tho and forces opposing players to play safe. Opens up space for everyone else on the ice.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

The coach's must be so embarassed right now, 50 games, and their PP is beyond a joke...we just do not have enough skilled players with the puck. We have Koko who is very inexperienced at this level, and Drouin who is so soft...Domi has some skill, but is a shooter and needs a set up man to find him.

totally agree about 3F and 2 D on the PP...............but we need one of those D to become a PP QB.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Our PP is very predictable with us always trying to get the shot from Weber but that is not actually our biggest problem currently. Has anyone else noticed just how difficult of a time we are having just trying to establish zone entry on the pp? I mean the actual attempt at trying to set up a pp in the opposing zone?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The headline on rds.ca is "The Canadiens have no solution for the pp?"

It's just sad, because they haven't tried some of, what seems to me to be the obvious best use of the players - just like last year it took them half a year to put Galchneyuk on the right half wall.

pathetic.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I know a lot of people assume that Muller is in charge of special teams but does anyone know for sure? Because I love the guy, but if he is...

Muller and Ducharme both work together for the pp.

We cant really blame the coaching staff when they've tried a ton of different strategies and combinations for the pp.
Its on the players to perform...

Reactions: Legend123

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Muller and Ducharme both work together for the pp.

We cant really blame the coaching staff when they've tried a ton of different strategies and combinations for the pp.
Its on the players to perform...

Sorry, have to disagree. They've tried a bunch of different things (like 2 forwards down low below the goal line) but most of them are crap.

They haven't tried some of the most obvious things. It's just like last year when around this time they finally took Pacioretty off the right half wall and replaced him with Galchneyuk.

This year Kotkaniemi should be on the right half wall, Weber on the right. Drouin and Petry should battle it out for the QB role at the top of the diamond. Put Armia's big 6'4 frame in front of the net - he can also pop out and win battles in the corner. Then find a shooter for the high slot, perhaps Tatar.

On the 2nd unit the QB is Petry or Drouin. Put Gallagher on the left half wall for the one timer and Domi on the right, Lehkonen in front of the net, and Byron in the high slot (or Danault if you need him out there to win the faceoff.

The coaching staff haven't tried most of these.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lets just reacquire Galchenyuk:naughty:

If he has another bad year next year in Arizona and is available at a bargain bin price, absolutely.

He'll be a 60 point player and power play producer in the right situation.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
If he has another bad year next year in Arizona and is available at a bargain bin price, absolutely.

He'll be a 60 point player and power play producer in the right situation.
No, this year for the playoffs. Send them Shaw:naughty:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No, this year for the playoffs. Send them Shaw:naughty:

won't get it done. He's on pace for his usual 55 points over 82 games - including 5 goals and 14 points on the power play in only 37 games. Those would lead us in both categories. And this definitely isn't his ceiling.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
won't get it done. He's on pace for his usual 55 points over 82 games - including 5 goals and 14 points on the power play in only 37 games. Those would lead us in both categories. And this definitely isn't his ceiling.
I know but we can always try to rip off a bad team hehe

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Sorry, have to disagree. They've tried a bunch of different things (like 2 forwards down low below the goal line) but most of them are crap.

They haven't tried some of the most obvious things. It's just like last year when around this time they finally took Pacioretty off the right half wall and replaced him with Galchneyuk.

This year Kotkaniemi should be on the right half wall, Weber on the right. Drouin and Petry should battle it out for the QB role at the top of the diamond. Put Armia's big 6'4 frame in front of the net - he can also pop out and win battles in the corner. Then find a shooter for the high slot, perhaps Tatar.

On the 2nd unit the QB is Petry or Drouin. Put Gallagher on the left half wall for the one timer and Domi on the right, Lehkonen in front of the net, and Byron in the high slot (or Danault if you need him out there to win the faceoff.

The coaching staff haven't tried most of these.

All what you said has been tried... except for Gallagher on the left half wall

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
All what you said has been tried... except for Gallagher on the left half wall

No Kotkaniemi hasn't been tried on the right half wall. Nor has Weber in Ovechkin's office, as opposed to on the point. Nor has Armia in front of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad