The Post Game Show: Game 2

RedWingsNow*

* This game lived up to my expectations for this team. The defense will help us score goals. But they can not be counted on to protect a lead or kill penalties. Unless there are serious changes, this will be an issue all year.
32 Shots on Goal today by a Columbus team that can barely gain the blueline and can't complete a pass in the offensive zone unless they are on the man advantage.
* We're going to get better. Sooner or later, Babcock will split up D and Z. Datsyuk needs the puck. Zetterberg needs the puck. We're a better team when these guys can both have the puck a lot, and they can't do it on the same line. Datsyuk isn't in fighting form yet. Zetterberg played with some oomph tonight. But his lack of speed is worrisome, considering how many years he's signed for.
* Our powerplay is going to be very good this year.
* Every Red Wing but Datsyuk under 50 percent on faceoffs. Datsyuk at 70 percent.
* Kronwall... 28+ minutes of icetime. Quincey down to 19 after leading the team Saturday.
* CC never returned to the lineup.
* Sammy with 12 minutes of ice time.
* Jimmy Howard is going to be in for a tough season. I expect a high goals against average and average save percentage. Not sure how that will affect contract talks.
* Until Kronwall made that great pass to Datsyuk,he'd had two straight really bad games. He needs to step up and show he's going to be a leader on this team.
* Liked what I saw of Tootoo and Emmerton tonight. Didn't see anything at all out of Abdelkader, Eaves and Miller.
* Brendan Smith played a passionless game tonight. He looks like he's not enjoying himself out there very much
* Kyle Quincey with another brutal game.
* Congrats to Brian Lashoff. But let's not get carried away. Babcock once again sports a hard on for North Americans who play a simple game. But I didn't see much physicality from Brian.

Last edited by a moderator:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Basically agree with the assessment, but I don't think Smith played a passionless game. Pairing him with Quincey was a huge mistake. He was probably very frustrated with his partner who should be sent down to the AHL.

Smith definitely struggled, I wont dispute that.

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
Quincy would not be a top 4 defenseman on a contending hockey team, so we should not expect much of him.

RedWingsNow*

Quincey is a knucklehead and not very good at defense,
But you can't blame Quincey for the breakaway goal that Smith gave up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Smith shouldn't have to be positioning himself as far back defensively as he is playing with Quincey.

You don't pair your slick-skating young offensive defensemen with Kyle ****ing Quincey.

Letang plays with Orpik, Orpik is always back.
They asked Kuba what did you think of playing with Erik Karlsson last year he said, "I just stay way back and let him skate".

Brenda Smithn needs to play with someone like that, someone like Ericsson. Too bad we only have one Ericsson.

Quincey and Smith look like they are trying to do the same thing, and no one ever know who needs to stay back behind the other to protect the net. This is what happens when you try to build a team with 5 offensive puck movers and 1 stay at home. Especially when one has no NHL experience, and one is as ****** as Kyle Quincey.

RedWingsNow*

Well, if you think about it... Smith and Quincey are two guys with similar games.

Mobile. Leftshooting right defensemen. Not really physical but not unwilling to dish it out. Problems in their own end.

I don't want Smith learning from Quincey out there. I think Smith will be as good as Quincey by midseason if we let him play to his strenghths (ie -- pp time instead of PK time)

Is Smith going to become the Niedermayer type? Or the Quiincey type.
Just asking the question makes me want to ditch Quincey.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Smith shouldn't have to be positioning himself as far back defensively as he is playing with Quincey.

Letang plays with Orpik, Orpik is always back.
They asked Kuba what did you think of playing with Erik Karlsson last year he said, "I just stay way back and let him skate".

Brenda Smithn needs to play with someone like that, someone like Ericsson. Too bad we only have one Ericsson.

Quincey and Smith look like they are trying to do the same thing, and no one ever know who needs to stay back behind the other to protect the net. This is what happens when you try to build a team with 5 offensive puck movers and 1 stay at home. Especially when one has no NHL experience, and one is as ****** as Kyle Quincey.

This seems pretty accurate. The worst defensive pair by far. Lashoff played well, Kronwall (a few mistakes-plus one BIG one, but well overall), White GJ, CC GJ, Smith and Quincey were a train wreck out there. Offensively not bad, defensively both horrid. All Defensemen should be defense first. I think some of our guys need a good talking to calm down their games.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I don't think anything else can be said about Quincey.

Sammy replace the logo hunting with boards hunting.

Cleary looks as slow as Homer last year.

Coco hurt already. lol.

Really like Tootoo and Brunner looks to be a keeper. I think he'll start to shine once he gets more accustom to the NA game.

Our defense is really bad. Q-Smith need to be split up. It also says a lot about Coco, White and Smith that freaking Lashoff in his 1st career game was used on the 4-3.

HTT3*

Babcock must of cracked some skulls because the team came out with some jump tonight. Though there are some big holes. One issue is too many new players. Smith should be sent down if plays like that again. When's Kindl going to be healthy?

Best players tonight:

-Zetterberg
-Lashoff
-Tootoo (glad he showed some emotion to start the game)
-Brunner

Worst players tonight:

-Smith

-Howard (c'mon, the goalie needs to be the best PKer and should stop at least one break away once in awhile....)

-Kronwall (despite the nice setup, he was a turnover machine)

HM
- Datsyuk needs to adjust back to the NHL, he had a couple of points but he's not himself with the puck. Looks a bit weak on the puck and shoots high and wide every chance he gets

All in all, this game shouldn't of went to OT if not for Smith's boneheaded plays (couldn't cover his man and took stupid penalties). If the D was healthy I'd bench him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Or Stuart? Or Lidstrom? Basically, should have been up with the club last year?

Also, I am glad to see everyone has now seen that Q is just an abomination. Please just get rid of him. Bring up Kindl full-time, keep Lashoff. I don't care. Q is scary every time he's on the ice. For the wrong reason.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Babcock must of cracked some skulls because the team came out with some jump tonight. Though there are some big holes. One issue is too many new players. Smith should be sent down if plays like that again. When's Kindl going to be healthy?

Best players tonight:

-Zetterberg
-Lashoff
-Brunner

Worst players tonight:

-Smith

-Howard (c'mon, the goalie needs to be the best PKer and should stop at least one break away once in awhile....)

- Datsyuk needs to adjust back to the NHL, he had a couple of points but he's not himself with the puck. Looks a bit weak on the puck and shoots high and wide every chance he gets

All in all, this game shouldn't of went to OT if not for Smith's boneheaded plays (couldn't cover his man and took stupid penalties). If the D was healthy I'd bench him.

Did we watch the same game? Or maybe I missed the memo and we already shipped Quincey out for a bag of pucks. Hands down the worst player tonight

HTT3*

Did we watch the same game? Or maybe I missed the memo and we already shipped Quincey out for a bag of pucks. Hands down the worst player tonight

Lol, yeah he should cover Smith's guy.... :laugh:

Then Smith took a dumb penalty. He's a bonehead. Me thinks you didn't watch the game. DVR it next time so you can replay it.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!

Best players tonight:

-Zetterberg
-Lashoff
-Brunner

Worst players tonight:

-Smith

Datsyuk? Worst player? Dude played in all situations, got two points, had a 70% faceoff percentage... I don't know what you expect out of the guy. I can agree that he doesn't look at comfortable as he is when he is at his best, but you put him on the "worst player" list over guys like Quincey and Cleary, two penalty machines that have no business playing in just about any situation let alone getting 15+ minutes of time on ice.

Keep in mind, Datsyuk is the only player on Detroit with a faceoff win percentage over 50%... I think that alone can guarantee he isn't the worst player on the ice, and add in the fact that he scored a HUGE goal late in the game to tie it up... I think he should easily get a pass as one of the better Detroit players tonight.

HTT3*

Datsyuk? Worst player? Dude played in all situations, got two points, had a 70% faceoff percentage... I don't know what you expect out of the guy. I can agree that he doesn't look at comfortable as he is when he is at his best, but you put him on the "worst player" list over guys like Quincey and Cleary, two penalty machines that have no business playing in just about any situation let alone getting 15+ minutes of time on ice.

Keep in mind, Datsyuk is the only player on Detroit with a faceoff win percentage over 50%... I think that alone can guarantee he isn't the worst player on the ice, and add in the fact that he scored a HUGE goal late in the game to tie it up... I think he should easily get a pass as one of the better Detroit players tonight.

He's not on the list. Only three are. Dats is the HM because he isn't playing to his potential yet. Zetterberg is usually the slow starter but looks energized out there. Dats is off. Quincey and Cleary are noticeable because they didn't make any really dumb plays and but weren't game changers either. They are not paid to, either. Datsyuk is.

If not for Smith's bonehead stupidity in the game, Wings win in regulation.

RedWingsNow*

Datsyuk got an assist on White's goal?
Wow. He dumped the puck off to someone and went off for a change. 10 seconds later we scored.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
He's not on the list. Only three are. Dats is the HM because he isn't playing to his potential yet. Zetterberg is usually the slow starter but looks energized out there. Dats is off. Quincey and Cleary are noticeable because they didn't make any really dumb plays and but weren't game changers either. They are not paid to, either. Datsyuk is.

:amazed::amazed:
I'm not even going to bother arguing with you

HTT3*

:amazed::amazed:
I'm not even going to bother arguing with you

DVR it next time. Can't argue facts. Smith gave CBJs a free point. If you want to focus anger on anyone, focus it on him because he gave the CBJs two free goals. If his name was "Kindl", he'd be benched faster than you can say "wha..."

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Quincey and Cleary are noticeable because they didn't make any really dumb plays and but weren't game changers either. They are not paid to, either. Datsyuk is.

Cleary's turnover is what resulted in Columbus getting a rush that scored their 1st or 2nd goal. When you're the high forward entering the zone you don't just throw it in the middle of the ice and hope for the best. If you don't have a clear passing lane, you chip the puck deep. In addition he had a bad penalty.

Quincey's play speaks for itself the past 2 games. He's a penalty machine and that showed again tonight.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I really liked Z's compete level tonight. He at times still looks slow, but he was real strong on the puck and made some great plays.

With they being said, that was a selfish/stupid penalty he took in the 3rd. The stick slash was out of frustration as he and the opposing player were tangled up and battling off the draw. You simply can't retaliate like that, knowing how easy today's composite sticks break.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I guess I watched a different game from everyone else here. :)

Kronwall got better as the game wore on. He made one of the biggest bonehead plays of the game when he cleared a puck from behind the net (with his back to the play) and sent it -- NOT AROUND THE BOARDS -- but right to the stick of an opposing player right in front of Jimmy. Seriously? Why would you clear up the middle blindly and not just shove it around the back of the net? Jimmy save his bacon on that one.

Quincey took a couple of penalties that were part of intensive play, not just being caught flat-footed, but from aggressively battling. He also got better as the game wore on.

Ian White looked good tonight.

Lashoff was a pleasant surprise.

Smith is trying too hard to not screw up, but obviously he's going to make some mistakes. I see him doing two things that need work. One is a rookie thing, the other other is conditioning and endurance. The first thing is he's still misjudging the speed of the transitions. He is about a half-step off, he gets caught flat-footed, and he's underestimating the strength of the men around him. I see him getting outmuscled because he's not accustomed to the NHL speed/strength and he's going to have learn how to use his body and build his strength. He generally knows what to do and where to be, but like I said, his timing is what's off. He gets spun around because he doesn't expect the play to develop that quickly, and then he can't turn and gear up because he lost that step. His passing and puck carrying is fairly good.

The second thing is conditioning. I think his conditioning will improve by virtue of playing in the NHL, but he's also going to have to do more of whatever it is that improves his endurance. His speed isn't going to be there to help him if he has no gas left in the tank. I saw the same thing with him last Spring when he had his call-up. Maybe he needs to ride the bike in the sauna after games (like Chelios did).

Tonight, I think he looked more like a rookie than any other time I've seen him play. I think he's starting to doubt himself (hence my comment about being scared that he's going to screw up, thus overthinking or compounding the situation). He needs a partner that is both experienced and who will communicate to guide him a bit when he starts overthinking.

Coca-cola seemed solid too, until he got hurt. Just bad luck.

Dats, Z and Brunner were great. I like this Brunner guy. He. Keeps. Moving. His. Feet.

Fil was shooting more and Franzen looked like he cared. The energy guys did their bit.

That's all I noticed. :)

HTT3*

Cleary's turnover is what resulted in Columbus getting a rush that scored their 1st or 2nd goal. When you're the high forward entering the zone you don't just throw it in the middle of the ice and hope for the best. If you don't have a clear passing lane, you chip the puck deep. In addition he had a bad penalty.

Quincey's play speaks for itself the past 2 games. He's a penalty machine and that showed again tonight.

Thought that was Emmerton. And you can look more to game 1 than just Quincey, the entire team sucked vs Blues. How many goals did our $15 million dollar first line score in game one? Defense didn't lose game one, the forwards refusing to score goals did.

Place blame on the reason, not the defense. Losing 0-1 or losing 0-134 makes no difference if the forwards refuse to score.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Well, if you think about it... Smith and Quincey are two guys with similar games.

Mobile. Leftshooting right defensemen. Not really physical but not unwilling to dish it out. Problems in their own end.

I don't want Smith learning from Quincey out there. I think Smith will be as good as Quincey by midseason if we let him play to his strenghths (ie -- pp time instead of PK time)

Is Smith going to become the Niedermayer type? Or the Quiincey type.
Just asking the question makes me want to ditch Quincey.

You need mid-level D, and that's what your Whites and Q's of the world are, so I don't get this constant negativity about those midlevel guys. They're never going to be Lids, Pronger, or a top stay-at-home D like Stu in his prime. That said, they're better than some of the other guys we've had because they are decent skaters and they're reasonably mobile.

I agree though that we've got too many guys right now that play the same game. Smitty needs a solid stay at home type, but then again, maybe Babs wants him to stay at home first to work on that side of his game. I wouldn't put that past him. It's just going to tough to make a thoroughbred that only knows how to race become a pack horse. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad