The possibilities of the Canucks offer sheeting Benn or ROR

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Obviously we would all love to have one of these players on our roster, now more than ever. What would you people think about offering a 1 or 2 year deal worth 6-7M AAV?

The problem I see is that with Weber for example he wanted to take advantage of a BDC. Now that it is no longer really possible to do those types of contracts short term offer sheets IMO are the way to go. Especially if Benn for example wanted to play for Vancouver he can make it clear that he wants to leave ala Kessel and a trade is facilitated. When they match (because they will match) they can quietly request a trade in the offseason. The only issue I could see would be that we have so many RFAs in the offseason revenge could easily be had (especially Dallas as the owners don't get along)

Anyways I had this idea while waiting for a client @ Tim Hortons and thought I'd float it out there.

Edit: On 1040 they had a guest on who was saying Benn desperately wants to play for the Canucks, I think ROR is much more realistic but Benn is preferable

Last edited:

Rod Buskas*

do you really think Tom Gaglardi would let Aqualini take his best player ?

He'll match any sheet in the snap of a finger.

ROR is another story.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I don't think it's something Gillis would do, and I don't think we have the expemdable assets to acquire either via trade.

It would be nice to dream, though.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Cap space would be a problem (even moreso the next season) so I don't see this as an option. If you're going to tick-off another GM, at least make sure you win the offer sheet gambit (you have to tend to overpay for the other GM not to match).

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Salary cap would get in the way. We need to dump Ballard or trade Luongo to make it a possibility. My feeling is that MG and co are high on the 2013 draft. They mentioned as much a year or two ago and then they also re-acquired our 3rd round pick last season. They probably won't even be trading any of this year's picks at the trade deadline.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Dallas has like 20 million space no point

would be funny to do anyways though

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Salary cap would get in the way. We need to dump Ballard or trade Luongo to make it a possibility. My feeling is that MG and co are high on the 2013 draft. They mentioned as much a year or two ago and then they also re-acquired our 3rd round pick last season. They probably won't even be trading any of this year's picks at the trade deadline.

I wouldn't resign Raymond, Malhotra, Barker or Ebbett. Move Booth, Ballard and Luongo.

When I get home from work ill play around with capgeek but I think we could make it work.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I think a trade and sign (yes in that order) would be more likely, but I don't think we have the assets that Dallas needs. Dallas has a bunch of old guys up front and really need a top centre - the same piece we are looking for.

They are very unlikely deal Benn (even unsigned) for a collection of lesser players. It's generally not good value.

Who could we offer for Benn? Schroeder? Jensen? Raymond? Kassian? Our most tradeable asset is Luongo and Dallas doesn't need him.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
not going to happen but so many reasons why this would be awesome.

i have both guys on my keeper team, so obviously i want them playing again.

more importantly, benn is a great power winger but showed last season he can play center very productively. perfect kesler replacement in the short term, perfect big, strong, playmaking winger for him longterm.

but yeah, never going to happen.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
I think we can agree that Benn is a long shot to say the least, but what about ROR? Insiders have been saying that the relationship is growing poisonous and he is holding out in the KHL. His agent also isn't the type to blink during negotiations...

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I think we can agree that Benn is a long shot to say the least, but what about ROR? Insiders have been saying that the relationship is growing poisonous and he is holding out in the KHL. His agent also isn't the type to blink during negotiations...

Is Ryan O'Reilly worth the 4.5-6m that he's likely holding out for? I don't think so. I'm not even sure how good of a player he is on an actual contending team rather than a **** one like Colorado.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Benn won't happen. He probably wouldn't even sign an offer sheet with the Canucks (unless it was an offer large enough to not be able to turn down).

He doesn't want to play in Canada. http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2012/08/30/why-one-nhler-doesnt-want-to-play-in-canada/

If he has a chance at the cup compared to a rebuilding team/treading water team he would take it, Canadian team or not.

It sure would be nice to get a hold of Benn but I dont see us having the correct peices for such a deal, that is unless it involves a 3 way trade and thats very unlikely.

ROR wont be traded in conference sadly, his grit and touch would be very nice for us too.

I hope the universe prooves me completly incorrect :D

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
If he has a chance at the cup compared to a rebuilding team/treading water team he would take it, Canadian team or not.

What is your source for this? There are plenty of players who would rather bring a Cup to their team rather than go seek glory somewhere else, especially when it's a place they don't want to play in for other reasons. I hate this attitude that our fanbase is starting to have, that every player should want and feel lucky to be wanted by the Canucks.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alex Burrows ($4.500m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($6.551m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Chris Higgins ($2.250m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.250m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Alexandre Mallet ($0.925m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Dale Weise ($0.615m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alex Edler ($5.000m)
Kevin Connauton ($1.250m) / Chris Tanev ($1.250m)
Yann Sauve ($0.875m) / Derek Joslin ($0.700m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,529,667; BONUSES: $395,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $165,333

thoughts?

MajorCanuck

Cup Please
Dec 30, 2011
Surrey, BC
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alex Burrows ($4.500m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($6.551m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Chris Higgins ($2.250m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.250m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Alexandre Mallet ($0.925m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Dale Weise ($0.615m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alex Edler ($5.000m)
Kevin Connauton ($1.250m) / Chris Tanev ($1.250m)
Yann Sauve ($0.875m) / Derek Joslin ($0.700m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,529,667; BONUSES: $395,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $165,333

thoughts?

you want to give ROR 6.55?

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I wouldn't resign Raymond, Malhotra, Barker or Ebbett. Move Booth, Ballard and Luongo.

When I get home from work ill play around with capgeek but I think we could make it work.

Sounds so easy. Could probably get it done with a couple dozen clicks of your xbox controller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->