-With such low expectations, disappointment isn't really possible

-More youth forcing the hands of management

-Larkin

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
  • Larkin could have a monster year and remind everyone why he was so hyped in the first half of the season.
  • Mrazek could win a Vezina
  • Hank could be effective in a lesser role (personally think he'd be great as a 3W)
  • I think Nielsen and Tatar could build a great rapport, either him or Nyquist... maybe even both and they work with Nielsen. God forbid we roll 21-15-14 again and again and again
  • Nielsen should have a fine year (50-55 points-solid defensively-PK), I've said it before, I see him aging more like Jumbo Joe than Pavel Datsyuk, not to say he'll put up 82 when he's 36 - be pretty dope if he did though.
  • Green should have a better year in terms of point production, I was pleasantly surprised with his defending.
  • I've been adamant about thinking AA could make the team opening night - he is easily the most exciting player with the puck on his stick.
  • Helm could be effective, score some goals... I'm just gonna stop there. Best case scenario for Helm in my mind is a relegation to the 4th, but that could add a nice dynamic to our team. If we rolled a 4th of Helm-Glenny-Sheahan/filler it would be awesome. I loved the idea of that 8-41-15 line in the playoffs - Not getting 1st line matchup mintues every night though.
  • It's possible we have a top 5 PK in the league; adding Nielsen and Houda to a pretty deep group of forwards and Mrazek should be pretty solid. Hopefully the D can clear the zone. 14th last year. Not to say Tony Granato was the downfall of the PK or anything,
  • How the hell was our PP 13 at the end of the season? Get better.
  • Hopefully Kronner or E is healthy or at least relatively, if they aren't hopefully their minutes are limited. A trade would be cool, but not getting my hopes up. I'm just hoping to see some progress in terms of asset usage compared to effectiveness - that'd be like a big step in the right direction Blash.
Could the Wings suck and get a decent pick? Yes.

There's a lot that could happen this season though, a lot of time and some bright spots. Obviously, no one is penciling the Wings as a contender. But, if Mrazek dominates and Larkin proves he and Eichel have the same trajectory - I think that **** could change.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
All the Red Wings have to do is eat a big ole' bowl of Booty O's before each game...

BOOTY O's.......THEY MAKE SURE, YOU AINT BOOTY!

(1:00)

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I'm excited to see how Larkin transitions to center. I'm not expecting a huge jump points wise, but if he puts up 45-50 from center I'd be really happy.

I am expecting huge things from Mrazek. His inconsistency I think usually has a lot to do with fatigue. Him jumping around so much the previous two seasons didn't really help him get used to a full NHL season. I think he is really going to dominate start to finish next year, not that he has a full season behind him.

I'm excited to see XO and Marchenko hopefully get full time spots. I think both will be solid NHLers when all is said and done, but they need playing time. I think both topped out in terms of what they could learn in the AHL, and had kind of stalled there. I think both still have top 4 two/way potential.

Did you mean Sproul? Marchenko already has a full time spot and doesn't have enough offensive potential to be a two way guy.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Excited to see Nielsen in a Wings jersey, he will probably get more responsibility this season than he ever had before.

Larkin's progress is going to be cool to see.

Lots of younger players who are coming up that should be a shot in the arm for the team in the next few years (thinking of Bertuzzi, Sadowy, etc.)

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Our PP should (theoretically) be much better this year. The PK should (theoretically) improve with Miller in the lineup. Special teams were a major reason why the team looked like booty for much of last season and especially the playoffs.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is seeing which East teams bomb out this time and let us have the last PO spot :popcorn:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
AA may get a few games in Detroit?

That positivity is giving me diabetes.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm looking forward to what this group can do without Datsyuk. I've had the feeling that the forward has been thinking ''well if I screw up, Datsyuk can cover for me'' or ''Datsyuk can come in clutch late in the 3rd, we're fine''. Now, it's up to them (Tatar and Nyquist especially) that need to be clutch.

Plus, I'm looking forward to seeing Mrazek frustrate forwards next season and to see him excel in 3 on 3 OT situations.

I think, given Datsyuk's age and injury problems over the past few years, we won't miss him quite as much. We've shored up our center position a bit with Nielsen who isn't terrible. As long as Larkin is decent and Z isn't overly depended upon, we'll be the same bubble team we were last season.

If AA gets good minutes and continues to impress, if Mrazek puts up the same overall numbers as last season, I think we should be a 7-8 seed at least.

Really wanna see AA with 12 minutes a night for at least 60 games. I think he'll be great.
Marchenko already has a full time spot and doesn't have enough offensive potential to be a two way guy.
I think he has potential. Whether he hits it or not is another story. He's not an off the glass and out sorta guy. He looks for the pass and he looks for pinches in the offensive zone. He'll even cut to the net more often than other d-men I've noticed. It's there if he uses it intelligently.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Since entering the league full time 3 years ago, Nyquist and Tatar rank 31st and 90th, respectively, in primary points/60 at 5 on 5. In a 30 team league, that puts them in the conversation as top-line caliber forwards based on production. Fans that have dismissed those two and moved on to newer, shinier prospects might miss out on enjoying the play of two quality top-6 forwards over the next couple years.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Fans that have dismissed those two and moved on to newer, shinier prospects might miss out on enjoying the play of two quality top-6 forwards over the next couple years.

I don't think anyone's dismissed them, but they both are what they are, right? Neither is ever going to be an elite winger (though they're both good players, for sure), and having both means that one is probably our best bet to make a move to address a team weakness. I don't think it's so much '[moving to] newer shinier prospects' in that case, and I don't think I've seen anyone seriously rip into either one.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think anyone's dismissed them, but they both are what they are, right? Neither is ever going to be an elite winger (though they're both good players, for sure), and having both means that one is probably our best bet to make a move to address a team weakness. I don't think it's so much '[moving to] newer shinier prospects' in that case, and I don't think I've seen anyone seriously rip into either one.

I think a lot of us want to see both of them put into larger roles, at least at ES, before ripping into them. Nyquist was 6th among our forwards in ES IT while Tatar was 9th (I'm not counting Franzen and his two games played). Give them a bunch of ES time, and put them on separate liness, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them getting a lot of love this year.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Since entering the league full time 3 years ago, Nyquist and Tatar rank 31st and 90th, respectively, in primary points/60 at 5 on 5. In a 30 team league, that puts them in the conversation as top-line caliber forwards based on production. Fans that have dismissed those two and moved on to newer, shinier prospects might miss out on enjoying the play of two quality top-6 forwards over the next couple years.

I posted in another thread that I expect one of Larkin, Nyquist or Tatar to lead the team in scoring. Not going out on much of a limb there, however it will be interesting to see if Nyquist or Tatar get the amount of ice time you'd expect. I'll believe it when I see it.

Aug 6, 2012
If Nyquist is healthy I expect a big year. I do think he can be an elite winger in this league, he needs to move his feet and shoot the puck.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I think a lot of us want to see both of them put into larger roles, at least at ES, before ripping into them. Nyquist was 6th among our forwards in ES IT while Tatar was 9th (I'm not counting Franzen and his two games played). Give them a bunch of ES time, and put them on separate liness, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them getting a lot of love this year.

Absolutely. I don't think anyone (or at least, anyone being honest with themselves) is surprised Tatar didn't score 30 goals last year, given Blashill's decision to play anyone with offensive ability as little as possible.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
I'm always excited for a season of Red Wings hockey.

In particular, I look forward to Sproul having it "click" for him under the tutelage of Houda and cementing his spot in the line up.

HolyJumpin40

May 15, 2014
Nielsen should have a fine year (50-55 points-solid defensively-PK), I've said it before, I see him aging more like Jumbo Joe than Pavel Datsyuk, not to say he'll put up 82 when he's 36 - be pretty dope if he did though.

Super happy someone finally mentioned Nielsen. There's a reason he got such a nice deal (term & money). The dude is a two-way monster. I truly believe he'll flourish on the Wings and I'm excited to watch!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad