The Playoffs

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
CV should be just another day for you from a precautionary standpoint.

Other viruses don't spread this easily. It's different in that regard. The latency period and time you can spread the virus is also longer than similar viral outbreaks we've had.

For those reasons, it's not another day. We have to be far more careful than usual.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I regret taking this bait....but the flu kills tons of people every year because we barely do anything to prevent exposure to it Everyone gets it, people die just due to the sheer numbers despite the low fatality rate. This virus is upwards of 10x more deadly and spreads much more easily based off of current estimates.

I, and most people, have nothing to worry about. This does not mean we should go around like nothing is happening just spreading it to everyone on earth at the same time. People already go to the hospital for the regular flu. If left unchecked, COVID19 will spread to many more people at once, and a much higher proportion will go to the hospital. This will overwhelm our capacity to treat patients, and will cause more deaths than necessary.

This is much different than people dying because of their own health related issues due to eating big macs every day. They largely did that to themselves. Us treating this virus as if it is nothing would be us harming others through negligence. I cant stop you from eating yourself to death, but I can stop myself from infecting you.

source: not a virologist

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
As I type this, 10 people in the entire United States are classified as "serious/critical".

In.The.Entire.USA: 10 Your post again proves my point.... "overblown"

Also while I type this, 24 people in the US just died from cardiovascular disease, and probably car accidents that resulted in 3 deaths.

Yet, CV is killing our economy, causing mad widespread panic and ppl are acting like animals at stores.
I'm afraid my house is going to get broke into for my toilet paper and vitamin C.

Meanwhile, those same "panic" people probably eat a Big Mac and text and drive on their trip to Walmart.
Italy had only 3 cases in their entire country. 3 weeks later nurses have to selectively condemn people to die because there aren't enough hospital beds in the country to treat everyone.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
If they resumed the season they could make it that every team plays 72 games than end it and move to the playoffs with all teams having played a equal amount of games.

Also I'm sure owners wouldn't mind only missing out on 10 games instead.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I could see playoffs happening this year once testing becomes more readily available. No fans and the teams will test players before the game to make sure everyone is good to go

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Y2K
People still think it was a hoax or a joke rather than giving credit to the thousands of man hours and billions of dollars put into fixing it before it broke. Some governments still haven't declassified documents relating to it.

LOL that is so totally true. Rolling over to 2000 was actually quite terrifying but enough money and hours were put into it to make sure it wasn't a problem. A great job quite actually. But are we ready for Y10K?

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
LOL that is so totally true. Rolling over to 2000 was actually quite terrifying but enough money and hours were put into it to make sure it wasn't a problem. A great job quite actually. But are we ready for Y10K?

I'm generally not prepared for anything involving a number with a K after it.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think the main difference was the world was ready for Y2k. Covid-19 came suddenly and spread ridiculously fast.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Playoffs won't happen. I am most concerned about how they will handle the draft lottery.

If all 31 teams get a chance at #1 I will not be a happy camper.

Betcha that's exactly what they're gonna do though -- they'll increase the pool size and decrease our odds. Such BS.

Reactions: Winger98

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If all 31 teams get a chance at number 1 I will just LOL because the rebuild should have started in 2012.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Meanwhile in Russia (no crazy media driven panic, plenty of toilet paper, soap & disinfectants) :

upload_2020-3-16_17-17-25.png

Last edited:

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
MLB has stated the earliest their season my start is mid May with that in mind I doubt there will be any more NHL games until the next training camp.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We'll see. A playoff game with no fans wouldnt have to be a gathering of 50+ people and if the NHL gets their hands on a testing machine it wont matter. But yaeven if its 8 weeks from now, they could still get it in.
Refs + linesmen + coaching staff + equipment staff + 2 teams + Pierre in between > 50

They're talking about 10 people now.

Also, Bay Area ordered to shelter in place until April 7th:
As coronavirus spreads, 6 Bay Area counties ordered to shelter in place

Trump saying August:
Trump says coronavirus crisis could last until July or August

mod

Last edited by a moderator:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Refs + linesmen + coaching staff + equipment staff + 2 teams + Pierre in between > 50

They're talking about 10 people now.

Also, Bay Area ordered to shelter in place until April 7th:
As coronavirus spreads, 6 Bay Area counties ordered to shelter in place

Trump saying August:
Trump says coronavirus crisis could last until July or August

Wait... wasn't this supposed to be a hoax? Make up your mind pumpkin face.

I'm assuming youre talking about trump being a pumpkinface and claiming its a hoax? Because I definitely didnt say that.

But as far as what you said goes, I dont think that being limited to 10 people (or 50 earlier) is directed to controlled populations that have been tested for the virus. My whole point with these new machines that can use swab tests is that if the NHL gets ahold of one, they could test everyone before allowing entry to the arena and kinda bypass this whole situation.

But they would definitely go with a skeleton crew I think. One equipment guy not a whole staff for example and definitely no Pierre between the benches. I dont think it will necessarily happen but I think there is a path there thats still possible

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm assuming youre talking about trump being a pumpkinface and claiming its a hoax? Because I definitely didnt say that.

But as far as what you said goes, I dont think that being limited to 10 people (or 50 earlier) is directed to controlled populations that have been tested for the virus. My whole point with these new machines that can use swab tests is that if the NHL gets ahold of one, they could test everyone before allowing entry to the arena and kinda bypass this whole situation.

But they would definitely go with a skeleton crew I think. One equipment guy not a whole staff for example and definitely no Pierre between the benches. I dont think it will necessarily happen but I think there is a path there thats still possible
Test results take 2 days to 2 weeks. By the time a player gets results he can get infected.

Besides, why should hockey players take priority over healthcare workers? They should be tested on a frequent basis. There's a lot more at stake than spectator sports.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Test results take 2 days to 2 weeks. By the time a player gets results he can get infected.

Besides, why should hockey players take priority over healthcare workers? They should be tested on a frequent basis. There's a lot more at stake than spectator sports.

Tests are taking that long right now but not for long. Theyve developed a saliva swab test with a machine that can run like 4000 tests a day. I dont think hockey players should take priority at all, but if the NHL gets ahold of a machine and can do their own testing, thats not taking away from health care workers.

Its not taking priority its just realising at some point theres a chance life might go on. Getting the ability to test rapidly will be huge for helping with this

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Playoffs won't happen. I am most concerned about how they will handle the draft lottery.

If all 31 teams get a chance at #1 I will not be a happy camper.

I'm worried about this too. From a playoff team's standpoint, some have traded assets for a cup run... only to not get a cup run. So they gave assets away for nothing.

But from DRWs standpoint, they are god awful not on purpose and could get hosed. Maybe if they decide to re-do the lottery they can give the bottom 3 teams their respective picks... then do a lottery for the rest of the teams. Wings already clinched 31st, that should be taken into consideration.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
For those of you that are thinking about listening to @Dotter on the subject of COVID-19, remember that this is the same poster who called discussing paywalled content discrimination a few months ago.

Listen to the public health experts, not people on forums. Downplaying this and treating it like just another flu will only make things worse.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
For those of you that are thinking about listening to @Dotter on the subject of COVID-19, remember that this is the same poster who called discussing paywalled content discrimination a few months ago.

Listen to the public health experts, not people on forums. Downplaying this and treating it like just another flu will only make things worse.

Go buy 300 cases of toilet paper, lock yourself in your bedroom, and hide under a blanket. I'll be out mowing my lawn and enjoying the warm Tennessee breeze.... not wearing a mask or hazmat suit. Maybe my unheralded recklessness will make me the 81st U.S. person to succumb to COVID-19 since it's first reported case from wayyyyy back in February. Although it's probably more likely I'll fall off the mower and run my self over...

Oh and **** paywall!

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Go buy 300 cases of toilet paper, lock yourself in your bedroom, and hide under a blanket. I'll be out mowing my lawn and enjoying the warm Tennessee breeze.... not wearing a mask or hazmat suit. Maybe my unheralded recklessness will make me the 81st U.S. person to succumb to COVID-19 since it's first reported case from wayyyyy back in February. Although it's probably more likely I'll fall off the mower and run my self over...

Oh and **** paywall!
Can't tell if the stupid is intentional or not.

Terrible people are hoarding toilet paper so they can profit off it.

Mowing your lawn is the opposite of reckless, it's one of the safer things you could be doing. Going to party in a crowded bar and swinging by a nursing home after would be reckless.

Learning the facts instead of repeating conservative memes will allow you to be reasonably safe without having to panic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricelund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->