News Article: The Players Tribune: Thank you, Pittsburgh by MAF

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
While this thread is up - let's talk about some MAF moments. What are your favorite?

Seriously, from an entertainment standpoint, every shootout was a freaking blast. MAF had so many tools against shooters. The Mtl pose was such a great moment.

Probably a boring answer but on-ice would have to be that last save vs. Lidstrom in 09.

Off-ice, definitely the time he folded himself up in Colby Armstrong's hockey bag and scared the **** out of him.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Lidstrom save is kind of underrated as an all-time great hockey moment in my opinion.

No SCF Game 7 has ever gone to OT, so that's basically the closest it's ever come to one single play deciding the Cup, and he makes a classic Fleury, unorthodox save to stop one of the best players to ever play the game.

I remember I was sitting on the edge of my seat (obviously), and when the puck kicked out to Lidstrom, I just totally deflated and fell into the back of the couch, sure that disaster was imminent. Amazing moment.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
MOD WARNING ...

In this thread the discussion is about the 'Thank You' article Flower submitted to the Players Tribune, our favorite memories and our own 'Thank You's' in return.

This is not the make fun of people on Facebook or other social media thread. It is not the bash Fleury or troll other members of the same fanbase thread.

For years, and I do mean that literally, there has been ample opportunity to vent your frustrations regarding Flower. Even appreciation threads weren't safe from the vitriol that some of you feel compelled to spew. If all you have to contribute to this thread is more of the same, then don't post and put the thread on ignore. If you're not sure how to put a thread on ignore, just look for a box with an 'x' in after the title on the main board page, click on it and follow the instructions.

If you can't help yourself and post beach ball pictures and make snarky comments, you'll be thread banned.

Last edited:

WBSPens99

Jun 12, 2016
Bronx, NY
Man, that was a sad read...a guy who really gave his all to this organization pouring it all out on the table as he is shipped away and can do nothing about it.

Going to miss him. Will always remember the Lidstrom save. It was also fun when he first came to WBS and my family and I always joked about his giant teeth being #29 1/2, lol. But what he did for the franchise was unforgettable, especially this postseason...

I may be a Murray fanboy but I'll always have a soft spot for Fleury. It is always fun to watch the players I saw throughout my years in Wilkes-Barre go on to do great things in Pittsburgh.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'll miss the guy.

The hate he gets is probably one of the more annoying things about this board especially when you consider how badly the team dicked him around to start off his career. He didn't get the benefits Murray got with the goaltending coach depth the team has now, they barely gave him that luxury and then there was the whole bonus thing because he was still up on the team.

He will forever be in the Pens all-time record books even if Murray surpasses him, his name will forever be etched on the Stanley Cup 3x as a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Thank you for being a Penguin Fleury, so many memories watching him on the Penguins.

An end of an era but a beginning to an amazing new one with another exceptional human being in Murray.

Last edited:

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
This is the guy who got me into watching hockey and tracking prospects. Although I played the sport growing up, I never really considered any more than the thing that I did on weekends during the winter. In grade 5, a classmate and the guy who sat beside me was a huge Cape Breton Screaming Eagles fan and would go on and on about Bergeron and Fleury all day long and would pretend to be one of those guys while playing street hockey. I was at his house the day of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft and we ended up watching it on TSN and I've been a Penguins fan ever since. That same friend actually introduced me to HF and even made it into at least one article on here long ago(he went on to play in the QMJHL).

I am a Leafs fan first and foremost, but the Pens will always be #2 because of the guys who my friends and I idolized growing up in Nova Scotia such as Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
I remember I was sitting on the edge of my seat (obviously), and when the puck kicked out to Lidstrom, I just totally deflated and fell into the back of the couch, sure that disaster was imminent. Amazing moment.

I was in a bar watching the game with a bunch of friends that didn't care about the game (welcome to my life of a Pens fan in Vancouver :laugh:). When the puck went out to Lidstrom I made this very unnatural "eehhhghhghhg" noise, expecting the worst. When Fleury made the save, I jumped up out of my seat screaming and managed to launch french fries all over the table. Got ketchup on my Malkin WC jersey (which I considered a good luck charm for years after) :laugh:

Good times, good times...

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I received a little needed perspective for me on how much this city loves Flower yesterday. I was visiting my mom for a few days and was wearing a 2017 Stanley Cup shirt. My grandma was at my mom's house to see my son and I have literally never heard her talk about the Penguins. She knows next to nothing about hockey, as far as I know, other than I played hockey and penguins slide on ice. So we went for a walk, she saw my shirt, and said "I'm mad at the Penguins, they traded my goalie" and then went on a rant about how wonderful MAF is and how the Penguins made a huge mistake. It was really interesting.

I hear you, Shady. My mom is not a huge hockey fan; she only watches the Pens because I played a little hockey, and I am such a huge fan -- so she pays a small amount of attention to how the Pens are doing because of me.

However, she is so upset about Flower leaving. She is mad at the Pens for how they "did him wrong," and while I've tried to explain the expansion draft, and how it "had to happen" given Murray's emergence, etc., she still can't totally accept it. While I told her that this is basically a "business decision," and the team couldn't afford for it to be a "personal" one, it still causes her grief.

As for me, I love Flower, as a human, and a teammate, and as a Penguin that provided us with at least as many thrills as he did cringe-worthy moments. I hate to see him leave, and wish him the best. Someday, in the twilight of his career, it would seem a most fitting end for him to return as the backup goalie for the Pittsburgh Penguins. In the mean time, I will of course be a Pens fan first, but a closet Fleury fan as well. Definitely an excellent human being.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Anyone see the MAF hangover spoof yet... its a commercial I don't know what the rules are about posting links to it but its fun

[NHL2]t-282798380/c-52356603[/NHL2]

He's doing a great job of stepping up to be the face for their franchise. He did a dek hockey thing with some local kids not long after the ED. Before the expansion draft happened, I thought that it might be possible for the team to make the playoffs, given that they're in the Pacific. Now, I don't think that's likely, but I still hope they do well for Flower's sake.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
One of my fave maf moments was when he came out of the bench in that playoffs game (against Detroit I think) and wiped out on the ice. Christ I laughed lol

It's not even a "what a loser" moment. He slipped. No big deal. I can just imagine the joking around on the ice and in the room after.

Such a good moment imo.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Two things from the article...

1. I had no idea about the Lidstrom shot doing that to MAF. He probably didn't realize how bad it was until the next day due to adrenaline and emotions from what happenedthat night.

2. The comment to Sid about the poke check had me stirred up as I am a goalie myself. I 100% understand a lot of what MAF does when he plays despite the fact that it frustrates the heck out of all of us, to include MAF. EVERY goalie should have the mentality that they should be the hero, EVERY goalie should know with confidence in their mind that they are capable of making spectacular save and controlling games. It frustrates us when we don't do it but there is no better feeling than when we do and that want is our constant motivator.

While this thread is up - let's talk about some MAF moments. What are your favorite?

Probably my most enjoyable memory of Fleury was watching him on 24/7 doing the shootout drill and **** talking every skater on the team. Pure comedy fused with high level competition, I just ate it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad