News Article: The Players Tribune: Thank you, Pittsburgh by MAF

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Like I said before, I very much doubt he's done with the Penguins. At the very least he'll return at the end of his career and sign a one day contract to retire a Penguin and have his place in the ring of honor.

Looking forward to his return to the Paint Can even though IMO it should have come before the Penguins went to Vegas.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I hope he either returns to the Pens as a backup or is offered a job within the organization. Preferably as a goalie coach.

Id prefer him in the front office or as a scout. Fleury as a coach I do not know if would work out. No knock on the man, just do not see that as a hat he could wear properly. But I for sure hope he comes back and is in our front office some where or ends up being a goalie scout for us.

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
Shoutout to the OG. Thanks for all the good and the bad MAF, it was a crazy ride. All the best.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I cannot wait for that LV game in Pittsburgh in Feb. I normally do not get too excited about a Tuesday night game 8 months away vs what will probably be a meh team... but I cannot wait to see the crowd that game that night. I just pray that MAF is healthy so he can get the start.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Crazy to thunk he's been with us this long. Sad to see him go, but again, more than happy with our future. He was huge for us against Washington and that's always a good feeling to best them.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Re-sale tickets for that February game will rival playoff prices. The atmosphere as well.

Will be an emotional ride. Probably pretty confusing with wanting the Pens to win, but wanting to see Flower do his thing and succeed here again... Can you imagine if it goes to a shootout?

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
Re-sale tickets for that February game will rival playoff prices. The atmosphere as well.

Will be an emotional ride. Probably pretty confusing with wanting the Pens to win, but wanting to see Flower do his thing and succeed here again... Can you imagine if it goes to a shootout?

can you imagine the scenario if the Pens pull the goalie for MAF to have an attempt to score :popcorn:

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
Too bad he is going to be on the dumpster-fire that is the Golden Knights. Hopefully they can grow to be a competitive team while he's still a starter, but it looks like they're aiming to tank for a couple years.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Too bad he is going to be on the dumpster-fire that is the Golden Knights. Hopefully they can grow to be a competitive team while he's still a starter, but it looks like they're aiming to tank for a couple years.

If they are trying to tank, and MAF is being competitive then they'll trade him and probably retain salary to do.

Maybe to us?

At the deadline Fleury at 50% for another 2nd :laugh:

BUCC4N33R

May 17, 2014
New Zealand
all the best Fleury, im sorry ... for years I used to scream at the TV calling you a headcase. But your a class act Flower, good luck

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I received a little needed perspective for me on how much this city loves Flower yesterday. I was visiting my mom for a few days and was wearing a 2017 Stanley Cup shirt. My grandma was at my mom's house to see my son and I have literally never heard her talk about the Penguins. She knows next to nothing about hockey, as far as I know, other than I played hockey and penguins slide on ice. So we went for a walk, she saw my shirt, and said "I'm mad at the Penguins, they traded my goalie" and then went on a rant about how wonderful MAF is and how the Penguins made a huge mistake. It was really interesting.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I received a little needed perspective for me on how much this city loves Flower yesterday. I was visiting my mom for a few days and was wearing a 2017 Stanley Cup shirt. My grandma was at my mom's house to see my son and I have literally never heard her talk about the Penguins. She knows next to nothing about hockey, as far as I know, other than I played hockey and penguins slide on ice. So we went for a walk, she saw my shirt, and said "I'm mad at the Penguins, they traded my goalie" and then went on a rant about how wonderful MAF is and how the Penguins made a huge mistake. It was really interesting.

:laugh: That happens so much. And you can just nod your head and not get into it. There is nooooooo doubting that MAF is a tremendous man. He's done enough to show it. I find it interesting how the media actually played into these types of situations. I see a lot of people who never, ever, ever talk about hockey have a strong opinion on this one. It is impressive.

Nonetheless - I cannot wait for that game against Vegas. Emotional all around. It will be awesome.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
:laugh: That happens so much. And you can just nod your head and not get into it. There is nooooooo doubting that MAF is a tremendous man. He's done enough to show it. I find it interesting how the media actually played into these types of situations. I see a lot of people who never, ever, ever talk about hockey have a strong opinion on this one. It is impressive.

Nonetheless - I cannot wait for that game against Vegas. Emotional all around. It will be awesome.

Yeah it's pretty remarkable. She also LOVES Big Ben but doesn't watch football. Go figure.

I explained some high level things about the expansion draft and that they didn't trade him but had to lose 1 player, but just kept saying how awesome he is. She was like "when that Vegas team plays Pittsburgh, I hope they crush them to prove they made a mistake" :laugh: It was the longest conversation I've ever had with her about sports.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I don't think it's that weird. MAF is a very likable guy and he's been around forever. People get emotionally attached to players and care more about the people than they do about winning. Not everybody sits around on the internet devising line-ups and calculating salaries to fit under the cap - in fact, I'd say the people who do are more in the minority than people who don't. Some people just like to watch hockey fore pure entertainment and they start to feel like they know these guys.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
While this thread is up - let's talk about some MAF moments. What are your favorite?

Seriously, from an entertainment standpoint, every shootout was a freaking blast. MAF had so many tools against shooters. The Mtl pose was such a great moment.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think it's that weird. MAF is a very likable guy and he's been around forever. People get emotionally attached to players and care more about the people than they do about winning. Not everybody sits around on the internet devising line-ups and calculating salaries to fit under the cap - in fact, I'd say the people who do are more in the minority than people who don't. Some people just like to watch hockey fore pure entertainment and they start to feel like they know these guys.

This a billion times. Plus the early days of Gen-X were SO BAD that there really wasn't any choice but marketing the team based on how likeable those schlubs were. Fleury was the best of that lot, before Crosby. :laugh:

Cole, my favorite all time Fleury moment was actually in this year's playoffs when he created the Unusable Gif in the Caps Game 7. Just epic trolling. :laugh:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^ I have a program from a game I went to with Melichar on the front. :laugh: And yes - MAF trolling the Caps in TWO Game 7s is pretty sick.

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
When MAF put Budaj in a camel clutch and almost broke his jabroni neck.*

*based on true events

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad