The players are pro-fan, why aren't they playing this angle more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Amen.
It's about time somebody stood up and said the players are looking out for us. :shakehead

Lord knows why anybody would think either side gave a rat's a** about the fans.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yeah, did it not occur to any of you that this holdout/lockout is happening due to the player association's concern for the fans of hockey? It isn't about money... it isn't about principles... it's all about the fans and giving them what they want! Oh yeah and it's for that business we participate in called hockey as well. ;)

Lanny MacDonald*

You're freaking kidding me? How many players have said so many "nice" thinkgs about the city they are playing in, and how great the fans are, then turn tail and leave in a blink of an eye when a better deal comes up? Yeah, they're in it for the fans. The loyalty they show to the cities and the fans are just proof of that. And that's why the players keep milking more and more money out of the teams and why they hold out at the drop of a hat. The players are pro-fan? What a joke.

:shakehead

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
:lol

Yep, and players should just lovvvvve fans like the ones on this thread. Cynical, often hateful, fans who can only demean the player's talents and jealously begrudge them their large salaries.

Oh yeah! Deserving of a lot of love! :joker:

At halftime:

Patriots 24
Steelers 3

League better disperse some of New England's players to the other sideline. You know, to "even out" the talent. ;)

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
You're freaking kidding me? How many players have said so many "nice" thinkgs about the city they are playing in, and how great the fans are, then turn tail and leave in a blink of an eye when a better deal comes up? Yeah, they're in it for the fans. The loyalty they show to the cities and the fans are just proof of that. And that's why the players keep milking more and more money out of the teams and why they hold out at the drop of a hat. The players are pro-fan? What a joke.

:shakehead

LOL
So the owners have every right to make better business choices but the players dont?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Trottier said:

Yep, players should care about fans like the ones on this thread. Cynical, often hateful, fans who can only demean the player's talents and jealously begrudge them their large salaries.

Oh yeah! Deserving of a lot of love! :speechles

Kind of like the love Ziggy Palffy showed to the fans and the Islanders organization during his lockout?
Or Alexei Yashin's antics?
I certainly appreciate their integrity. :shakehead

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Ziggy Stardust said:
Kind of like the love Ziggy Palffy showed to the fans and the Islanders organization during his lockout?
Or Alexei Yashin's antics?
I certainly appreciate their integrity. :shakehead

Here's a clue: The players owe you and me one thing. An honest, hard night's effort when we pay for a ticket. Solid entertainment.

They owe us nothing more.

...Including dictating their PROFESSIONAL CAREER DECISIONS on what makes a self-important fool on a message board happy. You or I may not have like the decisions made by Yashin (especially) or Palffy. But is the suggestion that these guys should be basing their livelihoods in any way whatsoever on what makes us happiest?

Would you base your family's economic security on making happy the drunk in Section 303 waving an oversized foam finger?

This really needs to be explained? :dunno:

Last edited:

Lanny MacDonald*

leaflover said:
LOL
So the owners have every right to make better business choices but the players dont?

Get serious. Who said the owners were pro-fan. No one is pro-fan. Both are out to make as much money as they possibly can and put the screws to the fans. No one gets to claim they fan friendly in this instance, because neither side is.

:teach:

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
The Iconoclast said:
Get serious. Who said the owners were pro-fan. No one is pro-fan. Both are out to make as much money as they possibly can and put the screws to the fans. No one gets to claim they fan friendly in this instance, because neither side is.

:teach:

You said a mouthful there. So true.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Trottier said:
Here's a clue: The players owe you and me one thing. An honest, hard night's effort when we pay for a ticket. Solid entertainment.

...Including dictating their PROFESSIONAL CAREER DECISIONS on what makes a self-important fool on a message board happy. You or I may not have like the decisions made by Yashin (especially) or Palffy. But is the suggestion that these guys should be basing their livelihoods in any way whatsoever on what makes us happiest?

Would you base your family's economic security on making happy the drunk in Section 303 waving an oversized foam finger?

This really needs to be explained? :dunno:

Which was my point... the fans don't matter in all this. Take your own advice and improve your reading comprehension. This never was about the fans nor is it about the sport of hockey. It is about economics, the marketplace and business.

THIS really needs to be explained?

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Trottier said:

So when Jaromir Jagr or Alexei Kovalev float for a night, can we fans demand a refund from their substantial per-game-salary?

p.s. Not everyone who disputes what the PA does, believe its members have made stupid comments and believe they receive overinflated salaries hates the players.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Good points being brought up. You think if you start showing up to work and hardly show any results you will continue to be paid, much less be kept on the job? Of course not, you're ass will be fired.

Think when you are contracted to work you can go home and demand to be paid more and not show up to work until they cave in to your demands? Of course not... you'd be foolish to do so and will be left without a job and guaranteed pay.

The players don't owe anything to the fans. They are being paid because they are the best hockey players in the world. Who sets their price? The marketplace. Who pays to attend games? The fans. But who is more important? The sponsors.
Who's ratings do they rely upon? The common household.

Does anyone happily spend their hard earned money to watch individuals who could care less about the sport (or if their team wins), as long as they know they are being paid? Of course not. They pay to watch the world's best athletes on the ice. There are nights where they don't perform... take shifts off... whine and moan on the job, but they don't have to worry about being fired or losing their jobs.

Do you know how much a player has to spend for travel costs? For daily meals? For trainers and training equipment? For hockey equipment? For medical bills? For hotels? For their families to travel and attend games?

I don't think the players appreciate what they have and are taking things for granted. The players who came before them... the Ted Lindsay's, Bobby Orr's, etc. are the ones who paved the way for these guys. The players are now secure that they are not being screwed by their own union leader with Goodenow at the helm.

This isn't about the fans being full of hate, spite and jealousy. The fans want to see the world's best playing hockey again. Unfortunately, being paid millions along with tons of benefits isn't enough to get the players back on the ice.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Trottier said:

Yep, and players should just lovvvvve fans like the ones on this thread. Cynical, often hateful, fans who can only demean the player's talents and jealously begrudge them their large salaries.

Oh yeah! Deserving of a lot of love! :joker:

At halftime:

Patriots 24
Steelers 3

League better disperse some of New England's players to the other sideline. You know, to "even out" the talent. ;)

no way the patriots have won again? that is not possible since a salary cap prevents teams like the patriots. clearly that did not happen

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
txomisc said:
no way the patriots have won again? that is not possible since a salary cap prevents teams like the patriots. clearly that did not happen

Must be a mistake. The salary cap forced the Patriots to break up their team four years ago. and it obviously prevented them from adding an all-pro running back in the off-season. Corey Dillon is just an illusion. :)

Last edited:

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
So when Jaromir Jagr or Alexei Kovalev float for a night, can we fans demand a refund from their substantial per-game-salary?

Rhetorical question, but on this board, nothing should be assumed, so I'll reply. Demand a refund? Of course not. It's the risk you take. Buyer beware. However, no one is holding a gun to your head to purchase future tickets or even buy the NHL TV package.

p.s. Not everyone who disputes what the PA does, believe its members have made stupid comments and believe they receive overinflated salaries hates the players.

Which is why I boldfaced "some" multiple times. Nice try though! ;)
:)

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Must be a mistake. The salary cap forced the Patriots to break up their team for years ago. and it obviously prevented them from adding an all-pro running back in the off-season. Corey Dillon is just an illusion. :)
no doubt! the patriots actually went 3-13 this year

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Trottier said:
Rhetorical question, but on this board nothing should be assumed, so I'll reply. Demand a refund? Of course not.It's the risk you take. Buyer beware. However, no one is holding a gun to your head to purchase future tickets or even buy the NHL TV package.

So what is the risk the players take in all of this? The owners take a risk... the sponsors take a risk... the TV executives take a risk... team management take a risk... the fans take a risk.
So what's the players risk? They set their own value. They holdout if they don't get the salary they want, they demand trades... and more often than not they end up having it their way in the end. So I ask again... what risk do the players take?

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Trottier said:
:)
Rhetorical question, but on this board, nothing should be assumed, so I'll reply. Demand a refund? Of course not. It's the risk you take. Buyer beware. However, no one is holding a gun to your head to purchase future tickets or even buy the NHL TV package.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Didn't you just say the players owe us fans an honest effort for our money? That doesn't sound like buyer beware to me. That sounds something more akin to a guarantee. After all, they owe it to us. You said so yourself.

Last edited:

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
BLONG7 said:
Bottom line is the players are PRO-Goodenow...sad...
Somewhat agree.
Every NHLPA team rep blindly follows the evil good-for-nothing Goodenow.
I believe every NHLPA member making somewhere ~$4M/year and more blindly follow Goodenow.

Players making between ~$2M-$4M/year are probably mixed.

It is hard for me to believe that many NHLPAers making less than ~$2M/year are pro-Goodenow.

...and the notion that the players are pro-fan is absolutely absurd and ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad