The Player Advantage No one Talks About

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:
You do realize that a capped system would make ALL players more affordable because of the permanent deflation it would cause. In addition, a cap can be softened with "franchise player" tags and/or a reduction in homegrown talent cost towards a cap.

sure i realize this. but why would you prefer a more affordable Yashin, Bure or Fleury in place of Spezza, Chara, Jovo and Regehr ?

by having these guys price themselves out of OTT, VAN and CGY price range they actually did the fans a service. I mean really, whats better for OTT. Yashin working for league minimum or Spezza and Chara ?

A cap would have made it so this trade never happened.

DR

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
DementedReality said:
sure i realize this. but why would you prefer a more affordable Yashin, Bure or Fleury in place of Spezza, Chara, Jovo and Regehr ?

by having these guys price themselves out of OTT, VAN and CGY price range they actually did the fans a service. I mean really, whats better for OTT. Yashin working for league minimum or Spezza and Chara ?

A cap would have made it so this trade never happened.

DR
In this case two in the bush was worth more than one in the hand but few predicted Chara would become so good and Spezza just as easily could've been a Chris Gratton type. Then Ottawa wouldn't be too thrilled about how things went down.

btw...with all the Brian Savage talk I just thought I would point out that the Coyotes have done everything possilble to get rid of Savage and it just isn't happening.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Sinurgy said:
In this case two in the bush was worth more than one in the hand but few predicted Chara would become so good and Spezza just as easily could've been a Chris Gratton type. Then Ottawa wouldn't be too thrilled about how things went down.

btw...with all the Brian Savage talk I just thought I would point out that the Coyotes have done everything possilble to get rid of Savage and it just isn't happening.

why wouldnt they be thrilled ?

i would rather have absolutly nothing than to pay Yashin one penny.

Lanny MacDonald*

DementedReality said:
Do you think OTT fans are upset about losing Yashin (Spezza/Chara) becuase of money ?

Do you think CGY fans are upset about losing Nieweundyk (Iginla) and Fleury (Regehr) over money ?

What if OTT, VAN and CGY were unable to trade those players due to cap prohibtions on the other teams ? They would have NOTHING today to show for those players.

Yup, sounds like a good system. :banghead:

DR

I think Calgary fans were pretty upset when they gave away a Joe Nieuwendyk for a player that took four years to develop into a player that replaced Nieuwendyk. I think Calgary fans were pretty upset when they gave up Fleury for a player that took five years to develop to the same level of player Fleury was. So if you think that having to give away players at the top of the game for a prospect who may or may not develop, and think that is a fair swap, I think you're kidding yourself. You are entitled to your opinion, just like others are, but I think you are in the vast minority who would take a prospect for star player just because they proced themselves out of the market. You'd be happy if you got Fedor Fedorov in return for Marcus Naslund? I'm sorry, I just don't believe that. And that's the type of system that we have in place right now.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
DementedReality said:
Do you think OTT fans are upset about losing Yashin (Spezza/Chara) becuase of money ?

Do you think CGY fans are upset about losing Nieweundyk (Iginla) and Fleury (Regehr) over money ?

Sure, it's all well and good *if* things work out.

Do you think PIT fans are upset about losing Jagr for Beech and Lupaschuk?

Do you think CGY fans will be upset for losing Iginla for Joe Schmoe?

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
Sure, it's all well and good *if* things work out.

Do you think PIT fans are upset about losing Jagr for Beech and Lupaschuk?

and Sivek ... but sure why wouldnt they be ? JJ even at 5m is a poor investment. they should say thanks to WSH.

PecaFan said:
Do you think CGY fans will be upset for losing Iginla for Joe Schmoe?

why will CGY have to trade Iginla ? unless of course the cap forces them too.

dr

Lanny MacDonald*

DementedReality said:
why will CGY have to trade Iginla ? unless of course the cap forces them too.

dr

Wow, welcome to Fantasy Island. The cap will force the Flames to trade away their top player? On what planet? If one team can't afford a player under the cap it is pretty likely that no other team will be able to afford him either. How did you come up with that dememented (pardon the pun) view of things?

The only way the Flames deal Iginla is if he prices himself out of town. I don't see how that is possible as it sits. With a cap around where the Flames present budget is they are in fine shape. Now if salaries are allowed to escalate even more, then he becomes unaffordable as he pushes towards $9-10 million. He is only affordable to three or four teams and Calgary is not one of them. But with a cap, even the top end players will be forced to find a point where their salaries are synergous with the rest of the team. That is likely at the $7 million mark for your superstar like Iginla. Every team will be able to afford a franchise player or will be like the Lightning and have a group of young players that all make in the $3-4 million range and be happy. At some point all the salaries will flatten out and you will not have the disparity you do in the sport, which is the way it used to be and worked so well.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Wow, welcome to Fantasy Island. The cap will force the Flames to trade away their top player? On what planet? If one team can't afford a player under the cap it is pretty likely that no other team will be able to afford him either. How did you come up with that dememented (pardon the pun) view of things?

That's not true at all. In a hard salary cap world ala the NFL, the goal is to spread the talent evenly to all teams (leading to mediocrity, not parity). It's the reaon why a team like Indianapolis will have to let Edgerin James go this offseason.

Teams like the Ottawa Senators will fins it very difficult to hold onto all of their top players under a salary cap, and teams that have less top flight talent would have more room under the cap to pay than Ottawa would.

Lanny MacDonald*

That is true, but an unliekly problem in the NHL. It would sure beat the heck out of seeing a disparty of $60 million top to bottom in the league. Personally I hope for a cap with some substantial bite so the top teams can keep their teams together for a period of time. I just don't want to continue to see teams like the Rangers and the Leafs continue to draft poorly and drive salaries up trying to remain competitive. I think this is the weakness of the NHL.

SENSible1*

John Flyers Fan said:
That's not true at all. In a hard salary cap world ala the NFL, the goal is to spread the talent evenly to all teams (leading to mediocrity, not parity). It's the reaon why a team like Indianapolis will have to let Edgerin James go this offseason.

Teams like the Ottawa Senators will fins it very difficult to hold onto all of their top players under a salary cap, and teams that have less top flight talent would have more room under the cap to pay than Ottawa would.

The parity riddled NFL has three 12-1 teams for the first time in their history. One of those three teams is a multiple superbowl winner and one other has been to the conference final the past 4 seasons.

Smart oganizations can still assemble dominant teams in leagues that reward brains not bucks.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
John Flyers Fan said:

I agree with your point but... atleast the Colts will be able to keep Payton

and edgerin's are a dime a dozen in the NFL

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Thunderstruck said:
The parity riddled NFL has three 12-1 teams for the first time in their history. One of those three teams is a multiple superbowl winner and one other has been to the conference final the past 4 seasons.

Smart oganizations can still assemble dominant teams in leagues that reward brains not bucks.
I was just going to say the same thing. The NFL hardly has a mediocrity problem!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad