The Plan

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
A January start means only the first couple weeks competes against the nfl and minimal time competing with the nba (assuming they go back to their normal schedule). Puts the stretch run of the regular season and most of the playoffs only competing with baseball, which is having a ton of issues in its own right. So from that perspective it makes sense.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Isn’t there a reason that there is less competition in spring and summer? Aren’t those the times when more people are outside and watching less tv?

One of the great things about winter sports is that I don’t want to go outside very much. I can plop down on the couch at the start of a game when it’s already dark out and enjoy the game. If it’s a super nice day and the sun is still shinning, then I am much more likely to weigh my options. Granted I normally still watch most games, but it might only be portions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
How are the playoffs going to work with free agency? July 1 is approaching fast. I don't know how the NHL could legally get away with temporarily extending contracts. Could we see Pietrangelo skating on a different team in a few weeks?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
How are the playoffs going to work with free agency? July 1 is approaching fast. I don't know how the NHL could legally get away with temporarily extending contracts. Could we see Pietrangelo skating on a different team in a few weeks?
Pretty sure they said they were going to push it till after the playoffs.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Leagues deal with the players extends the contracts.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Seeing the rumors about the permanent summer schedule. I'm not sure so sure about it. I've been thinking about it for a while and as much as i want to watch hockey, As we all do. I agree with everyone else just cancel the playoffs.
Many players don't even want to pick back up. Of course the affirmative action teams do because they had no chance otherwise, but all it really does is screw up two seasons and put an asterisk by the winner anyway.

Reactions: BlueDream

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Many players don't even want to pick back up. Of course the affirmative action teams do because they had no chance otherwise, but all it really does is screw up two seasons and put an asterisk by the winner anyway.
I hear you on this and agree that it screws up two seasons, but I feel like two seasons would be screwed up even if they cancel the remainder of this season. The playoff format makes it easier to start hockey sooner and limit the impacts of Covid. If we tried to resume a regular season at its usual time, then we have more teams playing. With the playoffs, you also reduce the number of teams playing as you move along, thus reducing the risk as things progress (at least in theory). You also have teams that only play each other for a decent period of time, again limiting potential cross contamination in theory. The regular season doesn’t work that way. Even if we grouped teams that we face, it would still be a very limited number of games.

I guess simply put, regular season is more difficult to make work than the playoffs.

FYI - I am not advocating for a given approach here, just trying to analyze the variables.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don’t think next season is being delayed to make room for the playoffs. Next season is being delayed in hopes that fans can attend games in a few extra months. Will they? We’ll see. But the decision to delay the start was made based on that.

Because of that delay, there was a lot more time to work on a post-season structure for this summer. But if you canceled the playoffs today, I don’t think the start for next season would actually be affected at all.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don’t think next season is being delayed to make room for the playoffs. Next season is being delayed in hopes that fans can attend games in a few extra months. Will they? We’ll see. But the decision to delay the start was made based on that.

Because of that delay, there was a lot more time to work on a post-season structure for this summer. But if you canceled the playoffs today, I don’t think the start for next season would actually be affected at all.
So they are comfortable with players traveling to other cities, contracting the virus and then having to take a chunk out of the team for quarantine? It’s seems like team safety has to be an important consideration. Isolating the players to limited cities helps limit the likelihood that they will have to shut a team down.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
So they are comfortable with players traveling to other cities, contracting the virus and then having to take a chunk out of the team for quarantine? It’s seems like team safety has to be an important consideration. Isolating the players to limited cities helps limit the likelihood that they will have to shut a team down.
I don’t understand your question. I’m saying next season would be delayed just as much even if there was no playoffs this year. They are adding the additional variable of when FANS can return to games.

I’ve said nothing either way about player and staff safety, although I think everyone would agree the measures for team member safety are different than for a crowd attending the arena. I don’t believe there is a situation where fans can return, but player safety is still delaying things. If the fans are OK, then team travel will be OK by then too. These guys ride chartered planes. They don’t have to have much exposure to other people unless they choose to.

If players get sick and have to self-quarantine for a couple weeks, yes I do think that’s reasonable to play. It’s no different than what all the rest of us are going to be doing at our various jobs.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don’t understand your question. I’m saying next season would be delayed just as much even if there was no playoffs this year. They are adding the additional variable of when FANS can return to games.

I’ve said nothing either way about player and staff safety, although I think everyone would agree the measures for team member safety are different than for a crowd attending the arena. I don’t believe there is a situation where fans can return, but player safety is still delaying things. If the fans are OK, then team travel will be OK by then too. These guys ride chartered planes. They don’t have to have much exposure to other people unless they choose to.

If players get sick and have to self-quarantine for a couple weeks, yes I do think that’s reasonable to play. It’s no different than what all the rest of us are going to be doing at our various jobs.
Good points Yappi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad