OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: World Cup N'at

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
how did Bellichek cost them the game? first i've heard of this
by playing malcolm butler exclusively on special teams. he had a down year, but was still a sure tackler and his replacements were getting eaten alive. butler played almost every snap during the season

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
the guy was healthy enough to play special teams and went to the postgame party (lol why does the losing team in the super bowl have a party?!)

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Nah, you are just being overly negative because Tomlin isn't a good coach.

There is way too much talent for the Steelers to not win at least ten games. Come playoff time, I have zero faith Tomlin won't don what Tomlin does.

Hopefully they don't re-up Bell, because that's a contract they will regret sooner rather than later. I also firmly believe they have to change the culture in that room, and he's a big part of the issue.

You simply don't need dominant RBs in the modern NFL. I can't even remember the last team with a great RB to win the SB, maybe Lynch, and that's really it in the last dozen years or more.

Bell is one of a kind type back. Id want to keep him but the steelers arent creative enough and have been running him into the ground. He will be done in a few years. We should have been using other backs(had D will..zero carries when bell was in) and drafted someone other than james connor(someone who can catch out of the backfield). Pats beat teams with multiple backs. Eagles did it to them last night. Bell is great, but dont understand why they havent gotten another to compliment him

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Bell is one of a kind type back. Id want to keep him but the steelers arent creative enough and have been running him into the ground. He will be done in a few years. We should have been using other backs(had D will..zero carries when bell was in) and drafted someone other than james connor(someone who can catch out of the backfield). Pats beat teams with multiple backs. Eagles did it to them last night. Bell is great, but dont understand why they havent gotten another to compliment him

Bell has been beat to hell and when the wheels fall off, it will be ugly.

You just can’t pay a guy like that at such a devalued position, a kings ransom. It reeks of a gigantic potential blunder.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
BB is praised when he holds people accountable, unlike Tomlin. Now he's getting ripped for it? The standard has to be the standard. It's a team game. If he was late, he gets what he gets.

The same accountability that built their team into a dynasty is one that maybe lost them a game? Who knows if Butler even makes a difference. The culture >>>>> one player.

I'll take heat for this post, but i'll stand by it and agree to disagree with anyone who opposes it.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

You just can’t pay a guy like that at such a devalued position, a kings ransom. It reeks of a gigantic potential blunder.

I wouldnt either now. He shouldnt have been getting 40+ touches per game. Led the league in carries again last season. Should have drafted a kamara type back(whos good out of the backfield). Not only would it have prolonged bell's career, but our offense would have been even more dangerous.

At this point id just tag him again, he wont hold out like he claims. And hope we win it all next year.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
BB is praised when he holds people accountable, unlike Tomlin. Now he's getting ripped for it? The standard has to be the standard. It's a team game. If he was late, he gets what he gets.

The same accountability that built their team into a dynasty is one that maybe lost them a game? Who knows if Butler even makes a difference. The culture >>>>> one player.

I'll take heat for this post, but i'll stand by it and agree to disagree with anyone who opposes it.

No heat, but I always say in all things to choose your battles.

We do not know all of the facts, but reportedly it was merely missing a meeting and partying with a celeb during SB week and missing a curfew or something like that. If so then that is way too rigid given the time and place. You send messages for things like that regular season. If there is more going on that they then maybe I get it.

You can not set some black and white line even if you have a hard ass and 'this is the culture' reputation. Choose your battles, in situations like this and in life.

Reactions: Mordax and ColePens

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Bb deserves all the praise he gets , but like i said before, if not for two dumb decisions by the Carroll(seahawks) and Quinn(falcons)...the pats last superbowl win is in 2004...year before we won our first in this era.

Should have lost 5 in a row. And im not talking mistakes that happen in every game...hawks and falcons had those games wrapped up. Carroll got cocky and decided to throw the ball...Quinn had his team in field goal range and ready to end it, he decides to have Ryan throw the ball as well.

Glad to see Pederson learned from those two coaches mistakes.

Reactions: ColePens

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I'd much rather lose in the Super Bowl and have the tone and culture of the team preserved than lose in the first round and have players doing and saying whatever they want to.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As an aside Butler is a UFA and now certainly is heading elsewhere. If we had not traded for Haden I might have been interested in him. I doubt that missing a team meeting is going to hurt how many teams go after this guy.

Huge changes in store for NE and this really could be the end for them.

Talk of massive locker room divisions this year.

Gronk, Belichick and Brady all reportedly considering retiring.

They are losing Butler, their second best defender, for sure, and others will be going. It could be a quick long fall if those reports are true.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'd much rather lose in the Super Bowl and have the tone and culture of the team preserved than lose in the first round and have players doing and saying whatever they want to.

Let's say that Butler only was late for a practice and was late for a curfew from partying. And played. Would that really completely undermine team discipline and culture? Bench him for a series if you must, let him walk as a FA and let the other players know that is why, but it seems like a huge over reaction.

Brady arriving dressed like this was much more deserving of censure and ridicule than whatever Butler did.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Let's say that Butler only was late for a practice and was late for a curfew from partying. And played. Would that really completely undermine team discipline and culture? Bench him for a series if you must, let him walk as a FA and let the other players know that is why, but it seems like a huge over reaction.

I think it was more.about BB thinking he can win no matter whos out on the field.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It’s funny how people say who would replace Tomlin if he was fired... how many annointed Pederson a good coach when he was hired?

I recall seeing him ranked dead last in a few media outlets by new hires at the time.

But ya... no one can be better than Tomlin because reasons... only recycled coaches can do well I guess.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

It all depends on the precedent set. If whatever he did was always punished with not playing all game, then they did the right thing.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd rather ultimately lose with good people than win with players like Bell. I'm sure every team has players like that, which is why I care less and less about the NFL every year.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Great post! Even more impressive you accomplished it without taking a random out of context pot shot at me;)

Reactions: ColePens

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey and a 2nd. IF the Steelers could leverage a deal like this, where they're getting back someone who can impact their defense like Bailey impacted the Broncos years ago, then I get your thinking . . .

Great post! Even more impressive you accomplished it without taking a random out of context pot shot at me;)

It was there . . . in invisible font.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

How would you react if Tomlin benched Bell for the SB because he was late for meetings?

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey and a 2nd. IF the Steelers could leverage a deal like this, where they're getting back someone who can impact their defense like Bailey impacted the Broncos years ago, then I get your thinking . . .

It was there . . . in invisible font.

WHERE>>>>>> WHERE????????????????????

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
How would you react if Tomlin benched Bell for the SB because he was late for meetings?

Don't want to answer for Cole, but that's like asking how you would react if a unicorn trampled your brand new car....could never and will never happen. Tomlin is not capable of disciplining someone like that unless maybe they're a 3rd stringer.

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->