OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Football Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Yeah, Butler has been a guy who doesn't seem to get enough negative press thrown his way. I think he drops the OLB's way to much on passing downs and generally the play there has been very lacking under his reign. Some of that is talent, or lack thereof but I don't think anyone has been impressed much by his schemes.

Agreed. We let go of Lebeau because they said they wanted a change.

Butler really to me seems identical to Lebeau scheme wise, minus Lebeaus intelligence on when to blitz and what type of blitz to use in a certain situation.

He also does like to drop our LBs into coverage alot. Even if thy arent great at it.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The only LB on the team in the past handful of years worth dropping into coverage more than a few times was Shazier. Sadly, that isn't an option anymore.

I get that certain situations call for it, but you have to know the limitations of your players. Not just their strengths. And I know the coaches know that, but even as much of a freak that Bud Dupree is, when you watch him going backwards or side to side, he's nowhere near as explosive as going straight ahead. Some guys simply aren't the same player when they're doing something other than running forward in a straight line.

I thought Watt wasn't completely lost in coverage actually. He has enough skill and change of direction ability to be solid there but he needs to be a Pro Bowl pass rusher, first and foremost. Every time you drop him, you're taking away from him making the biggest impact 99% of the time.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Steelers were a Top 3 defense last year when Haden played. Got torched in the air for so many years they focused so much on it. They actually did pretty good against the pass but got beat on the ground. Lost to the Bears and Jags twice because they couldn't stop the run. Heyward and Tuitt getting paid all that money for nothing. They are the reason they lost to the Jags in the playoffs.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Steelers were a Top 3 defense last year when Haden played. Got torched in the air for so many years they focused so much on it. They actually did pretty good against the pass but got beat on the ground. Lost to the Bears and Jags twice because they couldn't stop the run. Heyward and Tuitt getting paid all that money for nothing. They are the reason they lost to the Jags in the playoffs.

Big year for Hargrave coming up. He would be better in a 4-3. And we have Alalu , they should just make the switch.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Harrison basically confirms what I thought Tomlin did with players. He's basically a dumber version of Bylsma and that's saying a lot.

Hard to ever feel pumped about a season with that jack ass there. Wasting the final years of Ben's with that moron trying to win the popularity contest on the team instead of being a good coach.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I honestly don't know why the f*** the Steelers are keeping Tomlin. What is the loyalty to? Horrible playoffs? Running a whack dressing room?

The last 7yrs should have been enough, they're now in Bylsma territory of idiocy.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I honestly don't know why the **** the Steelers are keeping Tomlin. What is the loyalty to? Horrible playoffs? Running a whack dressing room?

The last 7yrs should have been enough, they're now in Bylsma territory of idiocy.

I'm not the biggest Tomlin fan and agree with a lot of his criticism. But I go okay fire him then look at coaches available and can't name one I'd want instead. There's a lot of personalities on this team and I think he does his best to manage all of that. Maybe he's to easy on them but I don't see Brown, Bell, Juju meshing too well with a Cowher or hardass. He just needs to tighten up in some areas; stop playing down to teams and figure out the Patriots and we'd be golden.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
That old school method is the dumbest **** with the Rooneys.

Ya I never really got that. I do understand you wanna show stability.

You dont wanna be teams that have a new coach every 2 yrs like the browns or raiders. But at the same time you have to notice when ur HC or coaching staff is becoming ineffective.

Tomlin came in as a hard ass and pushed the players, even the Vets. Remember him with Hampton? The players all saying it was the most demanding camp they ever had?

But it seems hes gotten softer as the yrs have progressed, and the players seem to like him but dont seem like they are scared of any repercussions if they step out of line.

He is also poor at time management and had never really seemed to improve on that.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I also still dont care for Butler being the DC.

I think he is a watered down version of Labeau.

Itll be interesting to see how Fitchner does with the Offense.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I also still dont care for Butler being the DC.

I think he is a watered down version of Labeau.

Itll be interesting to see how Fitchner does with the Offense.

At the very least he will let Ben do his thing...so thats already a plus over Haley.

Reactions: USMC607

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
I already know Bell isn't exactly that bright. Multiple suspensions, turning down what would be far and away the most money ever given to a RB, public banter about internal beefs, etc.

What I really want to know is whether or not his agent agreed with Bell across the board. I mean at the end of the day the agent, in most cases, will back the player, but I have a hard time believing any agent would advise Bell leaving 70 ****ing million on the table, when he's already had multiple season ending injuries, multiple suspensions and is now in his mid 20's with a ton of wear and tear on his body.....

I don't see it. At all.

And less guaranteed money this year than Barkley who has never played an NFL snap. NFL contracts aren't real unless they are guaranteed. The Steelers PR machine can float that 70 million number knowing they were only going to pay 40 of it at best. Anyone who knew the situation knew that Bell and the Steelers were splitting after this year. Bell is definitely an idiot, but floating numbers in the press that make him look greedy is how the Steelers won the PR battle. Also, the non-guarantee after the first year policy is probably why we can never sign free agents above a Mike Mitchell level.

Why Le’Veon Bell was right to reject the Steelers’ contract offer

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandinho

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
I honestly don't know why the **** the Steelers are keeping Tomlin.

I agree, but with them having kept previous coaches for a long time, I’m sure it would NOT go over well or “look” very good if Tomlin was the one fired relatively quickly (coughcoughRooneyRulecoughcough).

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Lmao if the latest Harrison tidbit is true Tomlin and Butler should be shitcanned.

How do you let doublecalls happen on defense multiple times over multiple games throughout the yr.

So no wonder we looked like shit. Half the defense was hearing 1 call and the other half was playing another.

That means terrible communication and that falls on the coach more than the players.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Tomlin is and has always been a vocal rah, rah, type. All show and no go. He won his only SB with a team that was almost entirely built by Cowher and company. He simply has no ability to match wits with the elite X's and O's coaches. Not to mention, what many of us have been saying, he's a total players coach. No discipline, no accountability. All the stupid suspensions, distractions, looking ahead by weeks and months to NE, losing game after game to shitty opponents....

MT is not a great head coach, never has been. He's certainly not bad, but he's not much better than average (i don't give a damn about his record), just has had the luck of coaching a HOF QB and was paired with one of the 3-4 best GM's in the game. With what Harrison said, it's the nail in the coffin IMO.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Lmao if the latest Harrison tidbit is true Tomlin and Butler should be ****canned.

How do you let doublecalls happen on defense multiple times over multiple games throughout the yr.

So no wonder we looked like ****. Half the defense was hearing 1 call and the other half was playing another.

That means terrible communication and that falls on the coach more than the players.

Embarrassing but sadly makes a lot of sense.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And I also love, given the age we live in, if you criticize Tomlin, you're automatically a yinzer racist to many SJW's and minorities. Continued failures in the playoffs to weaker teams, an inability to beat NE, at all, and all the drama/suspensions/players bailing in the middle of the year, that we've seen in 10+ years makes the criticism of Tomlin legit. Period. End of story.

If all you care about are double digit wins and some Division titles, MT is your guy. Anything more than that, he's never going to get you over the hump. Take away the SB win he got with a team he had almost nothing to do with building (and also thanks to arguably the greatest game winning drive by a QB in SB history), and he's simply not an impressive coach, especially when you consider who we've lost to, year after year.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Youd think a guy who should have went in the 3rd round in the draft but was taken in the first would have signed his rookie contract by now.

Better not be a sign of things to come with Edmunds who was supposed to be a "high character" player. And thought that was the reason we reached there.

Still think this draft will go down as one of our best ever and will look back on it as being a big reason we win another superbowl or two( Rudolph being our next franchise QB..with Washington, Samuels, Okorafor keeping our offense at the top) but can easily see Edmunds being a bust.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Youd think a guy who should have went in the 3rd round in the draft but was taken in the first would have signed his rookie contract by now.

Better not be a sign of things to come with Edmunds who was supposed to be a "high character" player. And thought that was the reason we reached there.

Still think this draft will go down as one of our best ever and will look back on it as being a big reason we win another superbowl or two( Rudolph being our next franchise QB..with Washington, Samuels, Okorafor keeping our offense at the top) but can easily see Edmunds being a bust.

Edmunds was a Tomlin guy. Who else was a Tomlin guy? Cortez Allen. He stole millions from the Steelers. Toussaint is another one. Fumbled away our last real chance at a Super Bowl and been eating a roster for years since. I hope Edmunds pans out but so far not a good sign and I'd say Tomlins judging of character isn't very good.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I don't think Tomlin's juding of character matters.....he doesn't give a shit. Many of his faults Cowher suffered from as well, especially from the SB loss vs Dallas until we finally got #5. But Cowher didn't run a shit locker room. That much was and is evident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad