OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Football Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Pretty lousy Final. Lots of errors. Props to France though they were the best team all tournament.
I thought it was exciting, i mean, 6 goals is soccer weird.

VIVE LA RÉVOLUTION! VIVE LA FRANCE!
Main_Page

Last edited:

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Congrats to France.

OK, now that the World Cup is over, time to start thinking (American) Football.

Steelers - Pats and Jags will still pose a problem, and look out for the LA Chargers, too. The D just isn’t going to be very good, but as we’ve seen these past playoffs, if your offense is clicking, it can help mask poor D. So they’ll have a chance. 13-3 from last year is tough to top especially since so many of the wins were close but actually being able to win a playoff game or 2 (hopefully 3 or 4) is doable.

PSU - Boy am I hyped. The 3 teams that gave us the most trouble last year, as well as the other tough B1G opponent (Wisconsin) will have to play in Beaver Stadium this year, where our record lately has been insane. Michigan is the only potentially tough road game IMO, but they’re the classic overhyped paper champion, sort of like Texas of late.

Losing Barkley, Gesicki and other pieces to the NFL sucks, but having McSorley back is huge, and our receivers, line, Miles Sanders will help fill that void on offense, and our D will improve with all the young talent. They’ll be a serious contender. But O$U could be a problem again.

So if I had to venture any predictions now I’d say the Steelers go 11-5 and make the AFCCG but lose to New England again, and the Lions go 10-2, miss the playoff but win another NY6 bowl.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ok, question of the day:

Why are human beings such scum and easily the lowest form of garbage alive on this Earth? Does anyone know this answer?

It's in relation to why Parisians (and any citizens of a city that wins a sports championship, but for todays question the focus is France) feel the need to riot and destroy property and anything else they can set their eyes upon.
So after the France victory there was mass destruction and everything else that accompanies riots, including 2 people dead.

I never really had any hope for our kind, but the human race does not deserve to live, share, and be apart of this beautiful Earth. With the monumental beauty and incredible displays of brilliance that nature gives us to enjoy and admire.... humans set forth to undue and destroy everything.

Two fans die as France's World Cup celebrations are marred by violence | Daily Mail Online

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Don't worry. France and Western Europe are the gold standard for utopian societies......:rolleyes:

I've been to Paris. It's certainly got incredible art and architecture, but overall I found it to be highly overrated. It's an incredibly dirty city (I'm very well traveled), and the people are among the most rude of any major metro area I've ever been to. And that was before the influx of millions of migrants from 3rd world shit holes came pouring in.

Reactions: Pengwins

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Don't worry. France and Western Europe are the gold standard for utopian societies......:rolleyes:

I've been to Paris. It's certainly got incredible art and architecture, but overall I found it to be highly overrated. It's an incredibly dirty city (I'm very well traveled), and the people are among the most rude of any major metro area I've ever been to. And that was before the influx of millions of migrants from 3rd world **** holes came pouring in.

If not for migrants, France doesn't sniff the WC.

Must be quite a feeling for Mbappe. 19 years old and the world at his feet.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
France has been to the WC final in 3 of the last 6 tournaments, winning 2. Their teams did not have an abundance of migrants the previous two times, IIRC. So, I mean, they’re more than capable of producing a top notch national team without them.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
France has been to the WC final in 3 of the last 6 tournaments, winning 2. Their teams did not have an abundance of migrants the previous two times, IIRC. So, I mean, they’re more than capable of producing a top notch national team without them.

I'm not talking about previous WCs. I'm talking about this WC.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Ok, question of the day:

Why are human beings such scum and easily the lowest form of garbage alive on this Earth? Does anyone know this answer?

It's in relation to why Parisians (and any citizens of a city that wins a sports championship, but for todays question the focus is France) feel the need to riot and destroy property and anything else they can set their eyes upon.
So after the France victory there was mass destruction and everything else that accompanies riots, including 2 people dead.

I never really had any hope for our kind, but the human race does not deserve to live, share, and be apart of this beautiful Earth. With the monumental beauty and incredible displays of brilliance that nature gives us to enjoy and admire.... humans set forth to undue and destroy everything.

Two fans die as France's World Cup celebrations are marred by violence | Daily Mail Online

I get being excited and young and needing to release the exhilaration.
I never understood breaking stuff where you live

Reactions: shoplifter

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
You’re talking about France’s ability to produce world class talent.

France produces the most world cup players of any country. They had 21 on this years team and 29 played for another country. That's 50 players and the next closest country was Brazil with 28.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Couldnt care less if Bell sits out the first 8 games.

1. He'd be more fresh for the playoffs.

2. Conner, Samuels, and possibly Franklin get more work. we will know what we have going into 2019. instead of having to draft a RB early, if one/two of those pan out.

Conner is in better shape, just like what Bell did in his second year and trimmed up. Haley being the coord, he barely saw the field. Even if Bell doesnt sit out, he will likely get more PT.

If Bell sits, that really helps Samuels. Theyll likely go with a Conner/Samuels duo.

This could help us in the long run. Let the guy sit and miss out on 250k a game for 8 weeks.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You’re talking about France’s ability to produce world class talent.

I'm talking about the contributions of players to this specific team. Any number of countries are capable of producing world class talent. The best ones France produced that led them to the World Cup this year were a result of recent migration from the sort of countries you're talking about.

One can argue that France wouldn't have won had they even taken Mbappe off the team.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I can't believe that dumbass didn't sign that contract. REAL LEADERS worry about their team. We'll never win a Super Bowl with a greedy ******* like that. I'm ashamed to call him a Steeler.

He will be doing us a favor anyways. As good as he is, you dont give a RB that much money. We can and have won it all without a RB as good as him. We also did fine with D Williams when Bell got hurt. Theres no way they should pay him that much. Use that money for the defense.

Like I said, if he does sit out...I want to see a Conner/Samuels duo in the backfield.

Gives the Steelers an extended look at both heading into next draft and will give them more experience heading into this years playoffs. Also need the line to get used to blocking for them.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I hope that Bell doesn't decide to half ass it his last year here like Mike Wallace did. So pathetic how Bell tries to play the victim in all of this. If he really wanted to retire a Steeler then he would have signed the more than fair offers he was reportedly given. Bell is an exciting player but I'm so tired of his constant drama.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
Im assuming the eight game number is because if he sits out more the Steelers could sue and try to toll the contract a la the Senators and Yashin?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I hope that Bell doesn't decide to half ass it his last year here like Mike Wallace did. So pathetic how Bell tries to play the victim in all of this. If he really wanted to retire a Steeler then he would have signed the more than fair offers he was reportedly given. Bell is an exciting player but I'm so tired of his constant drama.

And we would probably be regretting that contract(5 yr 70mil) in a couple of years. Seeing how good Williams did when Bell was out, no reason to pay Bell 14mil per year. That money is needed for the defense.

If he doesnt sit out, Im sure they will run him to the ground knowing its his last year here but not sure thats the best idea if they want to win it all. Rather have him more fresh for the playoffs and also want Conner/Samuels getting more experience.

This will be the most interesting preseason for the Steelers in a long time. Want to see what Conner and Samuels do. Franklin as well. Then you got Rudolph to Washington. Also Matthew Thomas at ILB , Keion Adams is healthy. And want to see if Quadree Henderson can make a big enough impact to make the team.

Usually want preseason to end asap without any serious injuries, but this is going to be one to look forward to.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan and TNT87

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And we would probably be regretting that contract(5 yr 70mil) in a couple of years. Seeing how good Williams did when Bell was out, no reason to pay Bell 14mil per year. That money is needed for the defense.

If he doesnt sit out, Im sure they will run him to the ground knowing its his last year here but not sure thats the best idea if they want to win it all. Rather have him more fresh for the playoffs and also want Conner/Samuels getting more experience.

This will be the most interesting preseason for the Steelers in a long time. Want to see what Conner and Samuels do. Franklin as well. Then you got Rudolph to Washington. Also Matthew Thomas at ILB , Keion Adams is healthy. And want to see if Quadree Henderson can make a big enough impact to make the team.

Usually want preseason to end asap without any serious injuries, but this is going to be one to look forward to.

Absolutely. The Steelers dodged a bullet when Bell foolishly turned $70 million down. He has been amazing but is not immune to wearing down given how many touches of the ball he has over the last few years. He will fall off in production and it will be dramatic.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Absolutely. The Steelers dodged a bullet when Bell foolishly turned $70 million down. He has been amazing but is not immune to wearing down given how many touches of the ball he has over the last few years. He will fall off in production and it will be dramatic.

See Murray, demarco as latest example. Steelers’ offer was reasonable. No one else is going to give Bell big guaranteed money for when he’s 30 plus.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
See Murray, demarco as latest example. Steelers’ offer was reasonable. No one else is going to give Bell big guaranteed money for when he’s 30 plus.

He is one of quite a few examples in different eras who come to mind.

The Steelers have it perfect. But through sheer luck and stupidity on Bell's part.

Bell is going to have to be really special to field that kind of offer again, so will be giving his all. I predict that whoever signs him is never going to get the same from him and when the decline happens it will be rapid. First with injuries keeping him off the field, then his play will fall off of a cliff, long before whatever contract he signs ends. We all have seen this movie before many times.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Im assuming the eight game number is because if he sits out more the Steelers could sue and try to toll the contract a la the Senators and Yashin?

He doesn't have to sign the franchise tag until Week 8. That's why he could sit out 8 games.

He had no intentions of signing. It's all about the guaranteed money. The tag is guaranteed and he's made almost 30 mill off it the last two years. If he signed with the Steelers two years ago he would have got 20-30 mill guaranteed. Browns contract is only 19 mill guaranteed. He signs a deal after this season and gets another 30-40 mill gtd. He's doubled his money. As long as he shows up Week 1 again, produces like he did last year, and isn't an off the field issue. I can see him resigning here if the Steelers really wanted but I doubt they offer him the same contract they did this year, next year.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
As someone who isn’t a Steeler fan this news is disappointing because I would have loved watching them tie up so much money in this tool bag. Running backs, especially ones who get such heavy workloads don’t last long. I watched LaDainian Tomlinson crumble from an MVP to a shell of himself because he wore down from the amount of times he touched the ball. The Steelers absolutely dodged a bullet here

Reactions: Al Smith

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Tomlinson didn’t have the capacity to be a power back, Bell does. Committing $70m/5 yrs front-loaded would have been perfectly fine.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Tomlinson didn’t have the capacity to be a power back, Bell does. Committing $70m/5 yrs front-loaded would have been perfectly fine.

When you say power back what exactly do you mean? Because Tomlinson could run people over and had a brutal stiff arm. He relied much more on his cutting ability and his speed but he could absolutely be powerful when he needed to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad