OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Football Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I just don't see how Dupree remains on this team past this year. He sucks. Next year he's going to make like 9mm, which is only guaranteed for injury. That's a lot of dough for someone who f***ing sucks.

The Steelers D is putrid. I like Heyward and Tuitt, but half the time they play them like tackles and line them up inside. Doesn't seem like that's their strength. I like them more working the tackle or getting a mismatch with TE. The Steelers haven't gotten anything from a NT in years. The f***?! You run a 3-4 and you still don't have a NT? I haven't checked recently but as of a couple years ago they were using NT on something like 20-30% of snaps. I'd imagine their usage is fairly similar. Unless it's an obvious running down they're deploying 3-4 DEs as DTs. On running down it's a DT as a NT. Too bad McCullers f***ing sucks too.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Not sure if it’s the level of talent out there now or not, but Dobbs looks way more comfortable out there than Rudolph. Of course he has a full year in the system in comparison, but you’d like to see this kind of aggressiveness out of Rudolph that Dobbs is showing.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
And theres Samuels first TD. Combine him with Conner , we should be good when Bell signs in Miami and out of the league in 2 years

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Not sure if it’s the level of talent out there now or not, but Dobbs looks way more comfortable out there than Rudolph. Of course he has a full year in the system in comparison, but you’d like to see this kind of aggressiveness out of Rudolph that Dobbs is showing.

Rudolph with a bad decision on the first throw but looked good last week. Better than Dobbs. Dobbs looks better this week.

I dont want to get rid of Dobbs..waste of an asset. Landry is a FA...he wont be back. Keep 4 QBs and finally cut Troussiant?

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Rudolph with a bad decision on the first throw but looked good last week. Better than Dobbs. Dobbs looks better this week.

I dont want to get rid of Dobbs..waste of an asset. Landry is a FA...he wont be back. Keep 4 QBs and finally cut Troussiant?
I hope they cut that bum finally.

But I don’t know about the four QB deal. Quite honestly, this whole situation is sort of needless. They didn’t need Dobbs last season. Probably didn’t need Rudolph this season, especially with so many holes on defense. But here we are. I don’t think it makes sense to keep both, but we’ll see how it plays out.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I hope they cut that bum finally.

But I don’t know about the four QB deal. Quite honestly, this whole situation is sort of needless. They didn’t need Dobbs last season. Probably didn’t need Rudolph this season, especially with so many holes on defense. But here we are. I don’t think it makes sense to keep both, but we’ll see how it plays out.

zero depth at ILB after first roumd so i dont mind the rudolph pick. next years class is very deep.

And yeah unlikely they keep 4...

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Plus isn't Ridley like 24 already. I'm not sure about Moore, I haven't seen enough to know what he's about.

Yup. Washington was the #1 WR going into the season and backed it up with his play. Remained #1 in mocks. Wasnt until after the combine he dropped. Because of his height.

And fell right to us. Perfect pick. Juju was a steal...Wasington may be even better which is saying alot.

Nice to see Samuels more involved tonight too. Want to see a Conner/Samuels duo next year.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Rudolph was a steal... Woohoo

Butler????????????? This guy............... how do you drop 8 in coverage on 3rd and 3 and leave a RB uncovered?? If someone has an answer to that question, I will mail you $20

Butler cant hold Lebeaus jock... He has been an extremely underwhelming DC. I've never seen a professional NFL DC blow his calls and end up with miscommunication and sending out 2 calls on the field.

Last edited:

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I've been saying since we drafted him Washington is going to be a stud.

I'm really liking Patterson too. As far as production goes so far this preseason he is in the top 3 in production along with Washington and JUJU.

Washington and Patterson both play special teams too.

Brown, JuJu, Washington, Patterson. Would be my top 4.

Any remaining available spaces can be filled by DHB and Hunter.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I miss the days of having pro bowl pass rushers every year. Gildon, Porter, Woodley, Harrison. I hope Watt pans out because Dupree is awful, almost as bad as Jarvis Jones.
Still, it is impressive that the Steelers had so many sacks last year despite not having any good outside pass rushers.

Needless to say, the Steelers will live and die on Ben's shoulders.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

no reason to keep landry…..if ben goes down (and there's a good chance of that) we are done anyway. imo

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
So we should be trying to trade for an ILB right? Hell we may even be able to pickup a guy off a practice squad that could start for us :(

Can we trade Bell for an ILB?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The standard is the standard

The "standard" on defense the last few years has consistently shown itself to be missed tackles, poor angles, bad communication and sloppy coverage...why Butler and Tomlin still have jobs is just perplexing....

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
why keep him? if ben goes down will it matter?

They might be looking at it as if hes out for a game or two at most. Landry gives us the best chance to win those games.

But I would rather get rid of him than Dobbs..thats a waste of an asset. Duo threat like him..if he keeps improving(has the IQ..if he prove his accuracy) we could get a 3rd or 4th round who knows how desperate a team would be. Talking a year or two from now.

Took Jones much longer to look like what Dobbs did last night. Then again he didnt have WRs like Juju and Washington in preseason then.

Maybe trade Jones for a late pick. Or get unconventional and keep all 4. Cant stand keeping Troussiant around anyway..thats the spot hed be taking.

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I've been saying since we drafted him Washington is going to be a stud.

I'm really liking Patterson too. As far as production goes so far this preseason he is in the top 3 in production along with Washington and JUJU.

Washington and Patterson both play special teams too.

Brown, JuJu, Washington, Patterson. Would be my top 4.

Any remaining available spaces can be filled by DHB and Hunter.

Couple of things, I agree on Washington and Patterson and this will lead me back to Mike Tomlin and his areas of expertise. He was a WR in college, he understands the position the very same way that Cowher understood the LB position. This is his sweet spot and it has shown throughout his tenure with drafting and player development.

Having said that, he was not qualified as a DC, only one year with the Vikings, and he has brought nothing to the Defense since he arrived. Since Cowher left, the defense has been in a slow and steady decline, that's a fact. The hiring of Butler was so damn incestial as well. Butler looks like a meathead, talks like a meathead, coaches like a meathead.........I'm sorry, confirmed meathead.

Circling back to Tomlin, I have gone back and forth with this guy during his tenure. At times, he shows a hefty degree of ignorance with his decision making. I go back to his very first playoff game where he decided to go for 2 way to early in the 4th quarter, lucked out and got it, got called back on a bogus holding call, and still went for it at the 12 YARD LINE. He didn't understand the cavalcade of that one point and how it directly impacted the loss.
After the game he was asked about it and his quote after stumbling through his first incorrect answer: "man, everybody has that chart, it's just baseball". I don't remember the exact sequence so I won't try to recreate it over a decade later, but that one point led to myriad of future bad decisions.

Tomlin has been a staunch opponent of Hard Knocks, the Steelers fan says inside me says "well, that's not the Steeler way": The suspicious side of me asks "I wonder if Tomlin doesn't want additional light shined upon his scheme/fraud/BS".

The Steelers this year will be what they have always been under Tomlin/Ben: Fun, Frustrating, Awful, Elite, Disappointing/ Disgusting/Exhilarating. Try to enjoy the good moments realizing this team in the end will be a big ole turd, at least they'll win in that department.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The "standard" on defense the last few years has consistently shown itself to be missed tackles, poor angles, bad communication and sloppy coverage...why Butler and Tomlin still have jobs is just perplexing....

Agree, but we still dont have our best guys out there and Burnett/Bostic and the rookies are still learning system.

We'll see.

One thing thats certain is we stole the best WR in the draft again

Now we need to get back to developing LBs like someone mentioned above. Of course now that we have a top offense..we have to worry about defense these last 3 or 4 years for the first time in alot of our lives lol. Horrible timing...a top 5 defense (like we always had) to go with this offense? Multiple superbowls.

Need to get this fixed asap.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Agree, but we still dont have our best guys out there and Burnett/Bostic and the rookies are still learning system.

We'll see.

One thing thats certain is we stole the best WR in the draft again

Now we need to get back to developing LBs like someone mentioned above. Of course now that we have a top offense..we have to worry about defense these last 3 or 4 years for the first time in alot of our lives lol. Horrible timing...a top 5 defense (like we always had) to go with this offense? Multiple superbowls.

Need to get this fixed asap.

Agree...we'll see...I know it's early but it's hard not to be frustrated by the same pathetic defense we've seen the last few years....

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

turd

Feb 1, 2013
why keep him? if ben goes down will it matter?
Because he’s clearly the second best QB on the team and this team is too good to just mail it in if Ben gets hurt? I mean, if this were the Jets or something where you know the team sucks and there’s not much to play for, then yeah, see what the kids got. But with this team, they have the talent to do something. If Ben sustains an injury that keeps him out for weeks, Landry is the best option available to try to keep this thing on the right path until Ben returns.

Honest question - why don’t people like Landry? It’s something I’ve never understood. Outside of glaringly obvious situations like Wentz/Foles or Brady/Jimmy G (prior to the trade), I’m not sure how many backups in the league are that much better than Landry Jones is. Am I missing something? Was it the one preseason game that he threw like 5 INTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad