The Pittsburgher Thread: Who should be fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Steelers disgust me at this point. The Rooneys are pathetic. We are stuck in purgatory because they don’t believe in firing an incompetent coach because of tradition.

Tomlin has cost this team at least one super bowl because he’s such a schmuck. But he’s here to say because of tradition!

Eff this team until real changes are made or until the family sells their share.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
It must be infuriating to be a minority owner on this team, especially if you invested less to make money, more for the competitive aspect. Your voice doesn't mean shit, because Art II is the decision maker and he follows the Rooney blueprint like the Bible.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Tomlin is a fraud.
Life isn’t fair.
Sun rises in the east.

Last 3 Steeler playoff wins since 2010:
2015 season- vs. Cin with A.j. Mcaron starting and a huge Cincy gift via meltdown.
2016 season vs MIA with Matt Moore starting.
2016 season vs. KC team lead by Alex Smith... won by all FG.
That standard is a horrible standard and that such life is a dissapointment.
We haven’t had a solid playoff win since 2010 against a very good opponent.
Tomlins time should be up but we all know It’s not happening

Note, I copied most of this because I’m lazy and support plagiarism.

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Broncos fired a successful coach that couldn't get it done in the playoffs with a HoF quarterback and all they got out of it was a Super Bowl trophy

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
You can reign in Ben more. We just totally gave up running the ball, and were completely one dimensional. Conner hasn’t sniffed over 65 yards since 11/4.

Ben single handedly lost the Cleveland game in week 1, and pretty much the main reason why we lost to Denver. Also, it was a friggin miracle that we beat Jacksonville with Ben throwing like a t-rex.

Ben is tied with most INT’s this season. He was tied with gee dee Sam Darnold. :help:

I’m not saying Ben was the main reason we lost, but you need to look beyond his throwing yards to realize he was pretty lousy as well.

Run/pass ratio wasn't the issue. It's not the 90's anymore. The main culprits for the Steelers collapse were a rotten defense, a kicker with the yips, and a general lack of focus and preparedness.

Reactions: Al Smith

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
When tomorrow Ron Cook says “Harbaugh missed the playoffs 3 straight years, he didn’t get fired!”
Someone please call and say Harbaugh has 6 playoff wins since 2010 and Tomlin has 3.
So sick of the local media sucking up to Bylsma , I mean Tomlin.

No lie Cook just said that not only would he keep Tomlin, he would sign him to an extension because the Steelers always extend their coaches with 2 years left on their current deal

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Run/pass ratio wasn't the issue. It's not the 90's anymore. The main culprits for the Steelers collapse were a rotten defense, a kicker with the yips, and a general lack of focus and preparedness.

Re defense, although statistically it was OK, except for turnovers, they repeatedly failed to get key stops in the 4th quarter. You'd also have to add a terrible turnover ratio , which is on both O and D.

Reactions: Shockmaster

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
The Steelers disgust me at this point. The Rooneys are pathetic. We are stuck in purgatory because they don’t believe in firing an incompetent coach because of tradition.

Tomlin has cost this team at least one super bowl because he’s such a schmuck. But he’s here to say because of tradition!

Eff this team until real changes are made or until the family sells their share.

Art Rooney is probably turning in his grave at this clownshow

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
No lie Cook just said that not only would he keep Tomlin, he would sign him to an extension because the Steelers always extend their coaches with 2 years left on their current deal

I used to just hate Cook, but I now have an odd sort of admiration for him. To last so long in this business being as lazy and ignorant and uninterested as he is, takes a certain kind of talent.....

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
News is the Broncos requested to speak with munchak.

Got to think if granted it gives plans to keep tomlin

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I say everyone.
jYPRSD363KkXdJO5glqBzNWvSk113VaDnxMq0cqvhw9_wnTfRghuAZnNKoNCFjyB5R0owa5Vux3FFv4W5lmNchXJYoELcFKJbhfXRZr2-4fGNsmVex6en3d9ihXc5x_Na3VRAyvs

Seeing all these coaches being fired and just waiting for Tomlin to be added...
Also, a little part of me, mostly the one who cares about the steelers.... mostly, dies a thousands deaths for everyday he is employed in pitt. Kind of like Caesar in the Senate on the Ides of March - over and over.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
He blew them away in the interview robble, robble, robble.

Likely talking nonsense like he does after games and the gullible people fall for it every time.

He’s basically the Jackie Chiles of NFL coaches.

I worked near latrobe when he was hired. There was a pretty salacious story about that interview process. It was well circulated by some press guys from the trib and it’s mostly thirdhand stories, but the facts line up and I am guessing it’s probably true...

It went like this...
4 guys were seriously interviewing. It was initially going to be 3. Tomlin was a late add because he was an up and comer and came highly recommended... I always assumed by Dungy, but realistically he was only probably being brought in to get experience in the HC interview process.

Tomlin had a better interview than Rivera.

Coach Whiz got offered the Arizona job, and he was afraid that him and Ben not seeing eye to eye meant he would get passed over here so he took that HC job instead. He really would have been the frontrunner here though....

With Whiz out it really was Grimm or Tomlin. The Steelers actually decided on Grimm. Russ was a drinker though and when told he went out and celebrated hard. He also told a trib reporter drinking buddy, who proceeded to publish the information.

The Steelers were not expecting the info to leak and when they Called Grimm in to explain, he was still drunk from the night before. They proceeded to remove Grimm from consideration and that really left them with Tomlin...

Ive heard this scenerio a lot and Grimm basically never moved past OL coach despite being very highly regarded up to that time.

Tomlin needed to learn more before he got a shot... he has learned some things, but others he has not developed yet

He is still an fairly young head coach. If he does get fired in the next few seasons he will have ample opportunities to redeem himself elsewhere

Reactions: John Titor

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
Munchak's work with the offensive line is exemplary. Young players, without much draft pedigree, are developed into good contributors. Injuries are absorbed very well. Protection of Ben has improved markedly since he arrived. The group feels like a cohesive unit and they don't egregiously miss assignments, at least to my eyes, which indicates they communicate well and have chemistry.

This is in stark contrast to some other coaching areas, where return on draft investment is concerning, to say the least, injuries are nearly crippling, season long improvement does not exist, and communication and chemistry is a problem.

If he goes and some of these other turds stay, that will further deteriorate any optimism about this team.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Gotta give it to Tomlin, dude keeps setting records every season.

Last season he was the first coach in the SB era to score 40+ at home and lose a playoff game, now he’s the first coach since 1990 to start the season 7-2-1 or better, not lose his QB, and miss the playoffs.

These are extremely embarrassing records, but it’s still records no other coach has achieved! So that’s something at least...

Tomlin has turned a once proud franchise into a punch line, and will continue to be allowed to do so because his boss is a fool.

I worked near latrobe when he was hired. There was a pretty salacious story about that interview process. It was well circulated by some press guys from the trib and it’s mostly thirdhand stories, but the facts line up and I am guessing it’s probably true...

It went like this...
4 guys were seriously interviewing. It was initially going to be 3. Tomlin was a late add because he was an up and comer and came highly recommended... I always assumed by Dungy, but realistically he was only probably being brought in to get experience in the HC interview process.

Tomlin had a better interview than Rivera.

Coach Whiz got offered the Arizona job, and he was afraid that him and Ben not seeing eye to eye meant he would get passed over here so he took that HC job instead. He really would have been the frontrunner here though....

With Whiz out it really was Grimm or Tomlin. The Steelers actually decided on Grimm. Russ was a drinker though and when told he went out and celebrated hard. He also told a trib reporter drinking buddy, who proceeded to publish the information.

The Steelers were not expecting the info to leak and when they Called Grimm in to explain, he was still drunk from the night before. They proceeded to remove Grimm from consideration and that really left them with Tomlin...

Ive heard this scenerio a lot and Grimm basically never moved past OL coach despite being very highly regarded up to that time.

Tomlin needed to learn more before he got a shot... he has learned some things, but others he has not developed yet

He is still an fairly young head coach. If he does get fired in the next few seasons he will have ample opportunities to redeem himself elsewhere

Tomlin’s obvious weaknesses as a coach have been exposed for many years, but early on I thought he would grow and learn, and become a very good head coach.

He hasn’t, and in fact has become a worse coach than when he started if you actually analyze the Xs and Os.

He’s been coddled by the Steelers org and never faces any true repercussions for his mistakes, so it’s not hard to understand why a coach who has never been held accountable has stagnated.

This is as much on the Steelers org as Tomlin, because the Rooneys have allowed this to fester and they have a pretty big mess on their hands now because they are unwilling to make the tough decisions.

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
He blew them away in the interview robble, robble, robble.

Likely talking nonsense like he does after games and the gullible people fall for it every time.

He’s basically the Jackie Chiles of NFL coaches.
He may lose the game, but he knows how to win a press conference.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

He'd get offers immediately. Another franchise would be extremely stupid to not hire him

But he's no longer a good fit here...his tenure has gotten stale

Reactions: madinsomniac

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
He'd get offers immediately. Another franchise would be extremely stupid to not hire him

But he's no longer a good fit here...his tenure has gotten stale

Honestly I prefer that he had learned from past mistakes a bit quicker, but he got out of his bringing in vet bums to play over young guys, and he did start playing guys based on performance over pedigree after several seasons where it burned him....

I think his secondary philosophies need overhauled for this era. I also think he needs to reign in the overemotional reactions and looking past teams that plagued the Steelers since he took over

He ought to hire a strategic coordinator for end of half strategy and challenges. Most head coaches suck at that and realistically its a very small but extremely important part of their job duties, so outsource that crap

Special teams needs a serious overhaul... that coach must be fired.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
While the Pirates are the laughing stock of perpetual gag reals the Steelers are slowly sliding into hold my beer territory.
Thats still a long way from being remotely true.... next year will be 40 years between World Series appearances for the Buccos...
the Steelers aren’t a dynasty but they are one of the more successful pro sports teams for wins and playoff appearances even in the Mike Tomlin era...

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Thats still a long way from being remotely true.... next year will be 40 years between World Series appearances for the Buccos...
the Steelers aren’t a dynasty but they are one of the more successful pro sports teams for wins and playoff appearances even in the Mike Tomlin era...

And only 3 playoff wins since 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->