The Pittsburgher Thread: Who should be fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I feel like if this was any other sport, he’d be fired already.
If this was any other team, he would have been fired after last season, if not sooner.
But tradition and blah blah blah = rarely make a trade, rarely sign a legitimate free agent, keep the same old shitty coach when it’s obvious they are awful, and rely 100% on the draft.

The problem is that they’ve sucked at drafting recently and we have a shitty coach. But what worked 45 years ago is relevant to todays’s game.

Please sell your share of the team, Rooneys. All of our issues stem from this outdated ownership group. They are sooo stale. Enough is enough. I can’t imagine how frustrated the minority owners are with them.

My grandpa always said to keep a coach for life. He knows a thing or two!

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I agree Harbaugh is a way better coach, but to be fair and to avoid further frustration (and trust me, we are still warranted in being frustrated), we need to acknowledge that while the Steelers have had the superior talent on offense, the Ravens have had superior talent on both D AND special teams.

And, as I said above, and bears repeating, Harbaugh is a better coach.

I’m not sure the talent was that superior. Probably at the corner position but that might be it

Reactions: domaug

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I’m not sure the talent was that superior. Probably at the corner position but that might be it
Since roughly 2012ish, advantage Baltimore at CB, Safety, LB (unfortunate because Mosley is a stud and Shazier was morphing into more of a game changer until the injury), DL kind of a tossup. But K/P (makes a difference - imagine if Boswell didn’t F up this year and remember Scobee costing them that game against Baltimore a few years back, and Tucker might be the best K in the history of the game). Then there’s the stupid penalties Baltimore doesn’t commit as often on special teams in particular, and Jacoby Jones was the best return man either has had in years. Funny we had him and he kinda sucked.

Regardless - yes - the talent of Ben, Bell, AB and co. over Flacco/Jackson and their plug and chug RBs/WRs should trump that. But it just really hasn’t. Every game with them has been a toss-up.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This guy...

giphy.gif
The issue is the culture. There's no real accountability at all. They sure love to talk about It but the Bell drama and shit like that is not something we should have seen for as long as we have for example. Like that shit dragged for a couple of seasons. Dumb. And it's because Tomlin allowed it.

Dude has to go.

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I’m pulling for the Rams...why?

I met a dude at the bar on vacation who is an executive at Google. He loved my knowledge of the Rams and my moxy. We exchanged information and he said he may have an interest in me for a position in acquisitions. While I find the company to be commies, I also want paid!

My goal is to retire within 5 years, find out where Cole lives and put a billboard up of me in my underwear on the couch drinking a beer so he has to look at it each morning on his way to work.

Reactions: domaug

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The issue is the culture. There's no real accountability at all. They sure love to talk about I but the Bell drama and **** like that is not something we should have seen for as long as we have for example. Like that **** dragged for a couple of seasons. Dumb. And it's because Tomlin allowed it.

Dude has to go.

Bruh... we've all been saying it for years. :laugh: It amazes me they don't see it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I agree Harbaugh is a way better coach, but to be fair and to avoid further frustration (and trust me, we are still warranted in being frustrated), we need to acknowledge that while the Steelers have had the superior talent on offense, the Ravens have had superior talent on both D AND special teams.

And, as I said above, and bears repeating, Harbaugh is a better coach.

Except Tomlin has a huge hand in picking that talent, or bypassing it....as a defensive guy, he should be held at least partially accountable for the talent there too...

Reactions: Rossi Rat

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
If this was any other team, he would have been fired after last season, if not sooner.
But tradition and blah blah blah = rarely make a trade, rarely sign a legitimate free agent, keep the same old ****ty coach when it’s obvious they are awful, and rely 100% on the draft.

The problem is that they’ve sucked at drafting recently and we have a ****ty coach. But what worked 45 years ago is relevant to todays’s game.

Please sell your share of the team, Rooneys. All of our issues stem from this outdated ownership group. They are sooo stale. Enough is enough. I can’t imagine how frustrated the minority owners are with them.

My grandpa always said to keep a coach for life. He knows a thing or two!

I’ve been a Steelers fan since I was 8 years old. Seen a lot of success and a lot of failures over the years. I purposely refused to watch them or any football this season mostly because my interest in the sport is waning.
The main reason why I stopped watching the Steelers this season sans a few plays over the last couple of weeks is that I’m tired of Tomlin’s status quo attitude. Nothing has changed with how he prepares or runs the team over the years and it’s like reading a book that you’ve already so much that there’s no need to revisit it for a few years because you know how it’s going to end.
The great thing about this approach is that it now frees up Sundays to do things that bring me joy. And if he’s coaching next season, I’ll continue enjoying my Sundays.
I’m down to the Penguins and honestly that’s enough to keep me satisfied.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Caps fan coming in peace, but I also like the Steelers (mainly because I grew up in Cincy and hate that team there bc of the awful owner/awful people they allowed to play on that team). Came to DC 14 years ago and fell in love with hockey so that’s how I like Caps/Steelers (I know it’s weird).

Here’s the thing about Tomlin. You have a lot of veterans on this team. A lot of guys who are more on their way out than new. A lot of guys who have been “close” to being a Super Bowl caliber team with Tomlin. I have a feeling Pitt (who doesn’t make many coaching changes) isn’t going to make any head coach changes until a coach can come in with a new QB/New philosophy/etc. Unfortunately, Ben/AB/Tomlin have been at this together so long, I think we aren’t going to see a change until at last Ben is gone/Maybe AB too. Coaches that come to a great organization are coaches that get an opportunity to do what they want to do. Look at Gruden. He came in and traded a number one receiver and arguable best defender in the game to start building the team their way.

Question for Steelers fans is are we okay with a new era without Ben/probably AB/etc to get a new coach in there? Is it time for a whole new look.... or do you let this core give it another go next year and maybe even the year after while Ben can still at least be productive?

Tough decision. Tomlin isn’t good - but this team together with him being the guy they’ve followed this long is good. Tough, tough situation

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Caps fan coming in peace, but I also like the Steelers (mainly because I grew up in Cincy and hate that team there bc of the awful owner/awful people they allowed to play on that team). Came to DC 14 years ago and fell in love with hockey so that’s how I like Caps/Steelers (I know it’s weird).

Here’s the thing about Tomlin. You have a lot of veterans on this team. A lot of guys who are more on their way out than new. A lot of guys who have been “close” to being a Super Bowl caliber team with Tomlin. I have a feeling Pitt (who doesn’t make many coaching changes) isn’t going to make any head coach changes until a coach can come in with a new QB/New philosophy/etc. Unfortunately, Ben/AB/Tomlin have been at this together so long, I think we aren’t going to see a change until at last Ben is gone/Maybe AB too. Coaches that come to a great organization are coaches that get an opportunity to do what they want to do. Look at Gruden. He came in and traded a number one receiver and arguable best defender in the game to start building the team their way.

Question for Steelers fans is are we okay with a new era without Ben/probably AB/etc to get a new coach in there? Is it time for a whole new look.... or do you let this core give it another go next year and maybe even the year after while Ben can still at least be productive?

Tough decision. Tomlin isn’t good - but this team together with him being the guy they’ve followed this long is good. Tough, tough situation

It’s interesting...I’ve thought about this and there’s some validity to your point, but most coaches don’t come in with new cores, or even new qbs....they have a plan for what’s already in place...I think Ben and AB have two more years...the defense is very young with maybe three older players..any new hire should come in with a plan to let the offense continue to run thru Ben as long as he’s here, like Fichtner did, and also have a plan to revamp the defense...when Ben leaves, you develop your offense around the new qb, whether he’s someone on the roster now or not...I don’t think you don’t change a coach who has failed, just because your offense is mostly vets and the qb is on his last couple years...

turd

Feb 1, 2013
There’s gotta be a lot of changes this offseason. Just has to be.

On offense, Foster is likely gone. Need a better veteran RB than Ridley’s suck ass. Conner and Samuels could be an intriguing duo next season. But Tomlin needs to not rely just on one RB all the time. He and Fichtner need to adapt. And they have to cut down on turnovers dramatically. That was a large part of their undoing this year.

On defense. I don’t even know where to start. It’s such a clusterf***. The D Line is okay I suppose (although I’d probably argue that Tuitt and Heyward were kinda disappointing overall; Hargrave really started to step it up though). LB is a f***ing disaster aside from Watt. Draft, free agency, whatever — they need to upgrade both ILB spots and someone for Dupree. He’s a bust. Clean house of the LB coaches while we’re at it.

They absolutely have to get a ballhawk CB to go on the opposite side of Haden. The lack of turnovers was abysmal. They have NO ONE that can make a big play on the defense except Watt, but he can’t do it all. Cut Burnett. He stinks. I guess you probably have to keep going with Davis and Edwards at safety, but that surely doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies.

Boswell and Berry both can go fly a kite as far as I’m concerned. And they can take Danny Smith with them.

In a perfect world, they’d absolutely clear house. Because of some antiquated dumbass philosophy, Tomlin will survive. But Butler, Smith, Porter, and Olsavsky all should be replaced. This season was completely and totally unacceptable by any standard.

Reactions: John Titor

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
if only juju was thinking about holding on to the ball in NO instead of on his next tweet we'd be looking forward to next week right now

Reactions: KIRK

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

It may be another 2-3 decades before they find another franchise QB, so you ride it out as long as he can play. Without a great QB, you are sunk in the NFL.

Tomlin isn’t going anywhere and all of us living in reality know that. They may make a few superficial changes like firing Danny Smith to convince themselves they are “fixing” their problems.

However, keeping Tomlin is akin to having a ten foot rebar through the heart of your org. So no matter how many splinters you pick out, you still have that little problem there bleeding you out...

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
All I got from Tomlins end of game Presser: Feels good about beating an AFC north opponent... (asked if he thought the team underachieved this year) his response was that he wasn't going to get into it. And he said the "painting with a broad brush" quote starting Tuesday.

Unreal

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon

i think this is an interesting point of view. i doubt management will move on from Tomlin anyway (i predict he will at least survive the remaining term on his contract, through 2020). i would still want to see a new head coach come in. i would make the argument that a team that's had this much talent for years and years has very little excuse for only winning 3 postseason games since 2010.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
if only juju was thinking about holding on to the ball in NO instead of on his next tweet we'd be looking forward to next week right now
i'm really hoping this isn't serious. out of all the players and personnel that could be pointed at to take the brunt of the blame for the Steelers missing the playoffs, JuJu should be pretty far down the list.

(maybe this is a joke and i'm not seeing it)

EDIT: it was a joke, thank goodness, it's tough for me to point it out tbh i take a lot of things seriously

Reactions: Ogrezilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->