The Pittsburgher Thread: Want Negativity? Stop and say hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
So basically we fired Joey Porter and the RB coach. Big changes I tell you!

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
What do you guys use for your draft info? I used to use ESPN stuff, but I really have gotten away from reading about draft prospects the last few years. Looking for some fresh stuff.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
not sure what kind of head coach he would be just because he's a great line coach.

Munchak's Titans teams were pretty meh when he was their HC. 22-26 in 3 seasons.

I rather just pay him his weight in gold and keep him the Oline coach and assistant HC. He's worth it.

We do know what kind of coach Tomlin is though. Guys like Munchack arent just going to sit around turning down head cosching jobs. We’ll lose him long before Tomlin is gone.. if ever. And I mean, who was Sully before he came here? Lost a playoff series with the Bruins, that’s about it. It’s about the right fit at the right time. One part of the team nobody can complain about is that o-line.

Reactions: The Old Master

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Below you will find gross oversimplifications, because I don't feel like writing a book and I doubt anyone feels like reading one:

not sure what kind of head coach he would be just because he's a great line coach.

Overlapping skills between position coaches and head coaches: 1) Breaking down film (both opposing teams and self-scouting). 2) Running a productive practice.

Major differences: Position coaching is technical, coordinating is tactical, head coaching is strategic. It's possible, even likely, that someone could be good at one or more of these jobs but lousy at the others. There's every chance that some great NFL coach is languishing in a non-coaching job because (s)he never played the game and doesn't know how many inches the first step should be in Howard Mudd's pass protection technique (It's six, in case you were curious.) or how to influence defensive backs with your eyes.

As a general rule, I don't believe in hiring retreads as head coaches. I do believe almost exclusively in hiring failed head coaches as coordinators.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
What do you guys use for your draft info? I used to use ESPN stuff, but I really have gotten away from reading about draft prospects the last few years. Looking for some fresh stuff.

Walter football mainly.. Updated mocks each week. But theres multpiple sites. Draftsite...draftek...etc

Or if looking up a single player..just googling him and read the draft info , watch the youtube highlights.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There was a story about the minority owners upset with Tomlin after the Jaguars’ playoff loss. The Steelers finished 13-3 that year and at least made the playoffs. How do these owners feel now? They have to be outraged.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We didn’t even technically fire Porter or Saxon, we simply didn’t renew their contracts. What if they had more years left on their contracts; would the Steelers have actually fired them??? NO

How many years does Danny Smith have left on his contract? Is this the only reason why he hasn’t been fired? Is this all about saving a couple of dollars for the scum bag Art Rooney?

Are they really going to keep every coach on this team after this season? f*** the Rooneys, what an embarrassing owner.

They will hire some assistant coaches to do Tomlin’s job for him. We’ll hire a guy that knows to tell time and understand what a time-out is and knows when to use it, since Tomlin is too busy and stupid to do this.

We will then hire someone to tell Tomlin when to challenge a call because again, shaft is too busy to do this as well. He has to focus on fake punting on 4th and 5.

This team is a disgrace.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We didn’t even technically fire Porter or Saxon, we simply didn’t renew their contracts. What if they had more years left on their contracts; would the Steelers have actually fired them??? NO

How many years does Danny Smith have left on his contract? Is this the only reason why he hasn’t been fired? Is this all about saving a couple of dollars for the scum bag Art Rooney?

Are they really going to keep every coach on this team after this season? **** the Rooneys, what an embarrassing owner.

They will hire some assistant coaches to do Tomlin’s job for him. We’ll hire a guy that knows to tell time and understand what a time-out is and knows when to use it, since Tomlin is too busy and stupid to do this.

We will then hire someone to tell Tomlin when to challenge a call because again, shaft is too busy to do this as well. He has to focus on fake punting on 4th and 5.

This team is a disgrace.

Looks like they may be going that route. Why fire people when you can just hire a bunch more instead to look like you are doing something?:

Mike Tomlin reportedly wants to beef up his coaching staff

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 9, 2019, 8:21 AM EST

Reactions: KIRK

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Looks like they may be going that route. Why fire people when you can just hire a bunch more instead to look like you are doing something?:

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 9, 2019, 8:21 AM EST

Haha what a joke. Tomlin is a lazy piece of shit, so he wants to delegate all of his duties to everyone else.

Are there other coaches out there that don’t understand the most basic concepts like clock management and when to challenge a call?

What a disgrace that this fool has immunity from being fired. He can’t handle the most basic tasks for a head coach.

Why not just fire Tomlin instead of hiring 3 other people to do his job?

The Rooneys are absolutely awful for allowing this circus show for another year.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If he was hired to any other team back then...hed be back to being a coord or even a position coach. Any coach we would have hired then would have had the same success based on the talent we had alone. Not to mention possibly winning another title or two.

But since he has been given this long to remain HC , we may have helped his career down the road. Maybe he does learn from mistakes and becomes a solid HC elsewhere. Like plenty of coaches have done with their 2nd/3rd chances. 10 years being with this franchise and this much talent surely helped him learn alot(improves on one thing each year lol, still waiting on clock management and challenges).

Bottom line, with the team we had we should have never hired a young coach with no experience. We had the talent to win it all and still think we beat GB with an experienced HC. Yes inexperienced coaches can come in right away and be successful like Pederson and McVay but those teams were different. Young teams who werent successful years prior and they turned them around. We didnt need that.

Tomlin may go on to be a solid coach years from now because of what the Steelers did for him, yet we wasted these years by sticking with him.

Cant believe the Jags playoff loss and going from 7-2-1 to missing the playoffs isnt enough to make a change. We will have to have another disaster in 2019 for that to possibly happen. But my prediction is we add more talent to this team(thru FA and draft) that we will make a run at the Superbowl. This year was an anomoly imo. Yeah we lost to inferior teams like in the past but we had a kicker ruining games...guys fumbling games away...Ben sitting out the second half of the Raiders game until it was too late. And all of the drama from Bell..Brown. Conner getting hurt. A mess of a season. But I do see our D getting even better next season. Adding a FA and a solid first round pick(Murphy, Baker, Sweat, etc) . And our offense still being one of the best.

We'll see how the rest of these playoffs go, but this year was wide open...we had the talent to go all the way. Thats what he should be judged on.

Next year who knows...Mahomes will be more seasoned along with Watson. Colts will be better with 120 mil in cap space. Pats may be on the decline but those teams will get better imo. We can still compete with any team but this was the year I thought we could win it all. The main reason I wanted us to add at the trade deadline. Eagles adding Golden Tate helping them advance is a perfect example...especially with all of their injuries.

When we didnt make a move with the cap space we had nor bring Bell back...I lost a little hope for this year. And what happened? Conner got injured a week after the Bell deadline. If that doesnt sum up 2018 I dont know what does. The FO messed this year up...thats not all on Tomlin. Altho he should still be gone, we should have added at the deadline and brought back Bell. And that isnt hindsight. Many said bring back Bell in case Conner gets hurt(Our RBs get hurt every year, wasnt far fetched) and even if he didnt he would have been an extra weapon for the offense. But of course we were doing great at the deadline and they didnt think we needed to make any moves. Thats what happens when you dont prepare for the rest of the season..youd think they would have learned that after the last 4 years(having season ending injuries to top players) but they didnt.

Lets see if they finally learned and sign a top FA or two this time with all of the cap space we have. I say they will, but also thought they were smart enough to add at the deadline to push this team over the top. Maybe that player(s) make the difference in any of those losses we suffered at the end of the season. Im guessing they would have.

Seems like this team has to learn from what they did wrong each year. Couldnt beat the Pats in AFCC? Focus game plan on beating Pats but overlook the Jags in the playoffs and get beat(a year I actually thought we would have gotten by them). Get beat by the Jags not being able to stop the run? Make the changes needed to stop the run and got better in that area, but mess up a bunch of other things...losing to teams we shouldnt have. Now whats to learn? Get rid of the drama?

One year at a time I guess for learning...by then hopefully we dont lose most of our talent. People say we havent won it all with Bell and Brown, thats true but they werent the problem. The defense was. Now watch our defense get better in these next few years but our offense will fall to middle of the pack when Ben leaves. We Better hope we find a QB who can get the ball to the talent we have on offense or those guys wont matter.

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

You don't because you get your hopes up for a player and then the Steelers draft some nobody. I remember really wanting them to get Byron Jones and instead got Bud Dupree. Now Byron Jones is one of the best corners in the league.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You don't because you get your hopes up for a player and then the Steelers draft some nobody. I remember really wanting them to get Byron Jones and instead got Bud Dupree. Now Byron Jones is one of the best corners in the league.

Everyone can claim “if the Steelers only took my guy!”

Considering where the Steelers always draft, they are doing pretty damn well. They have what many considered the most talented roster in the league, hence the reason a few talking heads claimed they are the most talented team they ever saw miss the playoffs.

That doesn’t happen if they take nobodies with every pick.

You can bitch about Dupree, but that 2015 draft pool was ass, and many first rounders aside from him didn’t work out. One of the worst pools in the last 25 years.

If Shazier didn’t get hurt, their only true need would be a corner right now, but they have pulled a significant amount of talent from their drafts.

How it’s being coached is an entirely different matter.

Reactions: zero8771

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

And Xavier Rhodes over Jarvis Jones.
Myles Jack over Artie Burns.
And for the latest... Darius Leonard over Edmunds.

Not a great track record in the first lately. Especially with Shazier getting injured . Watt the only solid pick in over 5 years. Obviously has to change this year. And need to keep having good 2nd and 3rd rounds. Which gave us Davis and Hargrave in 16 and Juju/Conner in 17. Washington/Rudolph remains to be seen but still have high hopes for Washington and Samuels in the 5th round was great value.

If we can strike gold in the first(having one of Devin White/Greedy Williams fall) or at least pick one of the solid options( Baker, Murphy, Sweat) that could be there and do well in the next few rounds...along with signing a top FA with the extra cap...it will go a long way into making up for those poor draft years(at least in the first rounds).

This window relying on this upcoming draft and FA(having that cap space because of Bell and Shazier so we need to replace that level of talent).

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthGeorge

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Everyone can claim “if the Steelers only took my guy!”

Considering where the Steelers always draft, they are doing pretty damn well. They have what many considered the most talented roster in the league, hence the reason a few talking heads claimed they are the most talented team they ever saw miss the playoffs.

That doesn’t happen if they take nobodies with every pick.

You can ***** about Dupree, but that 2015 draft pool was ass, and many first rounders aside from him didn’t work out. One of the worst pools in the last 25 years.

If Shazier didn’t get hurt, their only true need would be a corner right now, but they have pulled a significant amount of talent from their drafts.

How it’s being coached is an entirely different matter.

Yeah, I agree they do fairly well. That one was just super annoying to me because I mean he went to UConn, seemed like a perfect fit. Best corner available and high character.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Man, sounds like some NFL team should totally hire you.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Unfortunately Tomlin needs an advisor. He’s can’t seem to figure out the whole clock management things or when and when not to challenge. He also seems to have a hard time adjusting in game when things aren’t going well.

The Patriots have Ernie Adams, who literally pours over the rule book and crunches numbers for all situations to advise Bellichick on what and what not to do in certain situations.

Tomlin has his gut...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Unfortunately Tomlin needs an advisor. He’s can’t seem to figure out the whole clock management things or when and when not to challenge. He also seems to have a hard time adjusting in game when things aren’t going well.

The Patriots have Ernie Adams, who literally pours over the rule book and crunches numbers for all situations to advise Bellichick on what and what not to do in certain situations.

Tomlin has his gut...
It’s pathetic that we need to hire someone to tell shaft when to call a timeout.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Shutdown corners are unicorns. You might get 3 in a decade. They're rarer than HOF QBs. Trying to get one is a huge waste of time. Just find adequate corners (something the Steelers haven't been able to do well at all the past 30 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->