GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Training Camp is Upon Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The defense is still elite the o line can’t be worse and they have a deep young core off weapons

All the naysayers keep pointing to the offensive line as the reason the Steelers will blow this year, but they don’t take into account Pouncey, Big Al and DD were mediocre to atrocious last season.

The new guys won’t have to be that great to be an upgrade honestly. With that said, I heard yesterday that Turner looks bad right now.

Reactions: T1K and KIRK

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
All the naysayers keep pointing to the offensive line as the reason the Steelers will blow this year, but they don’t take into account Pouncey, Big Al and DD were mediocre to atrocious last season.

The new guys won’t have to be that great to be an upgrade honestly. With that said, I heard yesterday that Turner looks bad right now.

Aging pro bowl vets > new guys thrown to the fire. On the o-line. It's not ideal in Bens final year but here we are. Lack of preparation and foresight got us here. Reminds me of somebody's coaching. We drafted a scatback two years ago instead of a future center.

Reactions: Pengwins

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Aging pro bowl vets > new guys thrown to the fire. On the o-line. It's not ideal in Bens final year but here we are. Lack of preparation and foresight got us here. Reminds me of somebody's coaching. We drafted a scatback two years ago instead of a future center.

That’s way too much of a generalization.

Big Al and Pouncey were playing poorly by Dec and DD was an abomination.

TT just has to be slightly below avg to be an upgrade over DD.

Green, by all accounts has looked fantastic and I’ve suspected all along he was a huge steal.

Dotson was a mauler last season.

I’m just not that concerned about the line.

Reactions: Rave7215 and T1K

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Decastro was hurt last 2 seasons complaining about not having fun without fans. Pouncy been living off his reputation for 2 seasons. The running game was the best with Doctson in at G. Villanueva was never a good run blocker and ebron don’t know what that is.
Canada will ask Ben to operate out the pistol and no more shotgun more jet sweeps sidecar hand offs more outside zone runs. The wr will be interchangeable. Just need Ben to try play action and RPo and actually buy in

now I would say Colbert got a lot of good years out of undrafted o line men and the fact that mike ADams was last 2nd round pick or Chuks being the last 3rd pick showed the organization they can wait on o line in the draft

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
That’s way too much of a generalization.

Big Al and Pouncey were playing poorly by Dec and DD was an abomination.

TT just has to be slightly below avg to be an upgrade over DD.

Green, by all accounts has looked fantastic and I’ve suspected all along he was a huge steal.

Dotson was a mauler last season.

I’m just not that concerned about the line.

Pouncey had been terrible the year before too. But we took a scatback from Maryland over a Wisconsin pulling center. Just mind boggling stuff.

We will see. I think the line is going to be below average to average. Unless Harris is as good as advertised and can make the first 1-2 guys miss. It will be the same thing as last year; no run game and Ben in shotgun all game.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pouncey had been terrible the year before too. But we took a scatback from Maryland over a Wisconsin pulling center. Just mind boggling stuff.

We will see. I think the line is going to be below average to average. Unless Harris is as good as advertised and can make the first 1-2 guys miss. It will be the same thing as last year; no run game and Ben in shotgun all game.

I don’t expect the line to be any worse than last season.

They basically had the worst running game in the league and their lack of pass protection was band-aided by quick throws.

I just don’t get this rewriting of history by the pundits that the O line was good.

I think Green and Dotson will be clear upgrades and the others should be fine. Basically they should be decently avg, not some major weakness that will wreck the entire season.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Honestly if the line can be average, the offense will probably be in good shape. And I think average is probably the best we can hope for.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I don’t expect the line to be any worse than last season.

They basically had the worst running game in the league and their lack of pass protection was band-aided by quick throws.

I just don’t get this rewriting of history by the pundits that the O line was good.

I think Green and Dotson will be clear upgrades and the others should be fine. Basically they should be decently avg, not some major weakness that will wreck the entire season.

Everybody acts like Green is a lock to start. I highly doubt he does. He's starting the HoF game which tells you he's #2 or 3 on depth chart imo. If Dotson improves this year which I think he will he could very good.

Honestly if the line can be average, the offense will probably be in good shape. And I think average is probably the best we can hope for.

You could argue it was average the year before and look what that got us.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Everybody acts like Green is a lock to start. I highly doubt he does. He's starting the HoF game which tells you he's #2 or 3 on depth chart imo. If Dotson improves this year which I think he will he could very good.

Green is too talented to sit, but ya Tomlin so who knows.

Reactions: KIRK

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If chuks was healthy enough I would bet the entire starting o line plays the bulk of pre season they need as much live reps as possible. Doctson is the only one who actually played his 2021 position last year. Green has limited snaps at c in college turner and banner were hurt any got limited snaps last year.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If chuks was healthy enough I would bet the entire starting o line plays the bulk of pre season they need as much live reps as possible. Doctson is the only one who actually played his 2021 position last year. Green has limited snaps at c in college turner and banner were hurt any got limited snaps last year.
The average o line got James Conner to the pro bowl in 2019 Ben had his best season

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Are you talking about the Duck/Mason year? I’d say they were a big reason why that offense struggled. I think Harris combined with an average o line gives us an above average running game. We’ll see though.

And hopefully they’re just giving Green reps. He’s relatively new to the position.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Not too concerned yet.

Still a few serviceable Oline players that are UFAs

In case something happens between now and the regular season. Such as injury or just not being able to cut it.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
It’s tough to be any worse than the line was last season. My biggest concern is if Ben’s arm will hold up. It sounds like Haskins is battling Rudolph for the #2 spot, that’s exciting as I assumed Rudolph would be penciled into the #2 role no matter what.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Not too concerned yet.

Still a few serviceable Oline players that are UFAs

In case something happens between now and the regular season. Such as injury or just not being able to cut it.

i think they'll be looking at final cuts when the start of the season rolls around. maybe there will be a vet OL being sacrificed for an up and comer for salary relief.
I hope they'll be all over something like that

Reactions: Pengwins

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I think I’m gonna go into this season just trying to enjoy watching the best QB this franchise has ever had, play his last games. I’m way too young to have seen TB, but from his stat line and several documentaries, Roth blows him away.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I think I’m gonna go into this season just trying to enjoy watching the best QB this franchise has ever had, play his last games. I’m way too young to have seen TB, but from his stat line and several documentaries, Roth blows him away.

It's a completely different game now. Hard to compare the two.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I never saw TB play, but I suspect in a pass happy league with his arm and legs he would have likely done as well as Roth.

I know from reading about those teams when 3 yards and a cloud of dust loving Noll opened the offense up in ‘78 - Bradshaw lead the league with 28 TDs… and Noll opening the offense up still meant well under 400 passing att for TB.

Tarkenton had like 500 att and Bradshaw was the only guy who wasn’t over 400 att in the top ten that season (if I rem correctly).

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I saw TB play…in person and on tv…he was a frustrating player…great plays with a lot of crap plays in between…BR has been a much more consistent qb…

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I saw TB play…in person and on tv…he was a frustrating player…great plays with a lot of crap plays in between…BR has been a much more consistent qb…

TB threw a lot of picks… could see that from stats and old highlight tapes I watched of various games.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
TB threw a lot of picks… could see that from stats and old highlight tapes I watched of various games.

it’s not just that…he also made quite a bit of really boneheaded decisions with the football…if you’re in a position to see the whole field, you can tell that…he’d go for a home run throw that was well covered when he had wide open people underneath

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I never saw TB play, but I suspect in a pass happy league with his arm and legs he would have likely done as well as Roth.

I know from reading about those teams when 3 yards and a cloud of dust loving Noll opened the offense up in ‘78 - Bradshaw lead the league with 28 TDs… and Noll opening the offense up still meant well under 400 passing att for TB.

Tarkenton had like 500 att and Bradshaw was the only guy who wasn’t over 400 att in the top ten that season (if I rem correctly).

Most QBs back then from old vaulted games I’ve watched seemed to all be bone heads in some way.

Tarkenton and Stabler had 62 picks between them just in ‘78 alone.

Offenses back then were more simplified and Walsh changed the game with the West Coast offense which required more of a cerebral QB to run it…

By the time Walsh left Cincy and went to SF his offense was fully evolved and ushered in mountains of copycats and the age of quick reads/multiple options/formation complexity etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad