GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Tomlin takes 1 quarter to embarrass us

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I'm going to give Montcrief another game or 2 before declaring him a sucky player
From what I know about him he wasn't known for having the case of the dropsies. So yes, he should still be the #2

But Switzer should not be taking snaps in lieu of Washington, that much I DO know.

I saw nothing from Moncrief at camp or preseason that gives me any hope. Then his 1st game and find out he has an injured finger that isn't going to get any better unless he sits.

Moncrief and Washington will make their plays deep, not concerned about it. As was explained, but ahem, went over certain people’s heads, the biggest issue is the slot, where JuJu lined up a ton last season.

Now they have Switzer there, and like someone said to me once quite perfectly... he’s like a wannabe NE white guy receiver, but they run like chipmunks and he runs like a groundhog.

For this offense to keep flowing, Johnson or someone else has to emerge in the slot... their offense is predicated around it.

Slot isn't the issue. We have plenty of players who can play in the slot and make plays. The problem is with a lack of a deep threat the safety is going to come down and make everybody's job harder. Especially with the loss of AB and why do you think AB and Juju were able to go off in 2017? Teams feared Bryant's home run ability and kept a safety over the top all game. Last year AB was getting double and tripled team. With no home run threat or AB it's going to be tough treading for Conner and Juju. You need a deep threat to open the middle of the field. I don't know why that's so hard for you to understand.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
It's quite simple. Look at how far off of the Receivers the Steelers are before the snap. Their doomed before the play starts.

Somehow other teams run a 3-4 defense and never have this issue. Belichick was just toying with Tomlin/Butler at that point LOL

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
And again, the question remains, with his injured finger, why was he getting the same # of snaps as JuJu and basically playing the 2nd WR spot, when the team had Washington and Johnson available?

or why didn't he heal it during camp/preseason? Not like he was making plays then either. Ben doesn't like Washington because he's Rudolphs bff and Johnson played like one preseason game.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I saw nothing from Moncrief at camp or preseason that gives me any hope. Then his 1st game and find out he has an injured finger that isn't going to get any better unless he sits.

Slot isn't the issue. We have plenty of players who can play in the slot and make plays. The problem is with a lack of a deep threat the safety is going to come down and make everybody's job harder. Especially with the loss of AB and why do you think AB and Juju were able to go off in 2017? Teams feared Bryant's home run ability and kept a safety over the top all game. Last year AB was getting double and tripled team. With no home run threat or AB it's going to be tough treading for Conner and Juju. You need a deep threat to open the middle of the field. I don't know why that's so hard for you to understand.

Once again you continue to speak about things you don't understand. You are spouting off football 101 silliness. You continue to show zero understating of the Steelers schemes and the sets they run.

JuJu ran 421 snaps from the slot last season, which was the fourth highest total in the league.

Why do you think Switzer, their new slot man, was in for 69% of the offensive snaps Sunday?

Washington has zero problems getting deep. Moncrief may or may not, but he has shown that ability in more than enough over his career. That's again why they took Johnson. The last thing they needed was a deep threat.

Their offense is extremely reliant on their slot man, and Sunday was proof of what happens to it when JuJu is on the outside now and you have a borderline waiver wire guy playing such a prominent role trying to replace him.

That's why they drafted Johnson. If you understood their schemes, you wouldn't be typing out so much silliness.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Once again you continue to speak about things you don't understand. You are spouting off football 101 silliness. You continue to show zero understating of the Steelers schemes and the sets they run.

JuJu ran 421 snaps from the slot last season, which was the fourth highest total in the league.

Why do you think Switzer, their new slot man, was in for 69% of the offensive snaps Sunday?

Washington has zero problems getting deep. Moncrief may or may not, but he has shown that ability in more than enough over his career. That's again why they took Johnson. The last thing they needed was a deep threat.

Their offense is extremely reliant on their slot man, and Sunday was proof of what happens to it when JuJu is on the outside now and you have a borderline waiver wire guy playing such a prominent role trying to replace him.

That's why they drafted Johnson. If you understood their schemes, you wouldn't be typing out so much silliness.

But, but, but, they passed on that guy who has like 1% body fat ...

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

Brainiac, if they had somebody who was a threat on the outside Juju could play the slot. The fact they moved Juju out there shows they have no faith in Washington and Moncrief. So instead of drafting a player we need so Juju could play slot, we drafted another WR we have 5 of. I wanted Metcalf to purely take the top off the defense and demand a double. Juju in the slot but hopefully he could expand his route running and run more of the tree in year 3. Then I wanted Washington on the outside but also going over the middle a lot because I think his best attribute is combat catches. His college game isn't translating to the pros. I don't see him ever being a home run threat commanding double teams.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think Fichtner so far has shown himself to be below the line as well...the whole coaching staff should be tossed, but Art won't...whatever...I won't be investing in them either

Agreed. I forgot who the OC even was. But yeah, he needs to go.

I was a long-time Tomlin fan. At first, I loved his macro approach and his youthful, contemporary attitude. But even then it was clear the schemes and game plans were coordinator-reliant. I was good with that because that's what you have those guys for, but we've ended up in a place where the guys in those posts are no good. As the team finds itself here, that means Tomlin should probably go, too.

Reactions: Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Brainiac, if they had somebody who was a threat on the outside Juju could play the slot. The fact they moved Juju out there shows they have no faith in Washington and Moncrief. So instead of drafting a player we need so Juju could play slot, we drafted another WR we have 5 of. I wanted Metcalf to purely take the top off the defense and demand a double. Juju in the slot but hopefully he could expand his route running and run more of the tree in year 3. Then I wanted Washington on the outside but also going over the middle a lot because I think his best attribute is combat catches. His college game isn't translating to the pros. I don't see him ever being a home run threat commanding double teams.

You honestly have no clue what the hell you are talking about. I just fed you a line of BS to see if you understood their schemes and would correct me... I now have my proof you don't know wth you are talking about. JuJu is not an X. Derp. Moncrief is their current X in 3x1 formations, because he has experience there and can also play the Z, like Washington. They also drafted Johnson for that role, but he can also flex into the slot, which is why they wanted him - talent and versatility.

You ramble on like a typical Yinzer that pollutes the air waves who believes himself an insta-expert on the draft, but doesn't even understand what schemes his team is running.

Stop while you are (way) behind.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
You honestly have no clue what the hell you are talking about. I just fed you a line of BS to see if you understood their schemes and would correct me... I now have my proof you don't know wth you are talking about. JuJu is not an X. Derp. Moncrief is their current X in 3x1 formations, because he has experience there and can also play the Z, like Washington. They also drafted Johnson for that role, but he can also flex into the slot, which is why they wanted him - talent and versatility.

You ramble on like a typical Yinzer that pollutes the air waves who believes himself an insta-expert on the draft, but doesn't even understand what schemes his team is running.

Stop while you are (way) behind.

Says the guy who's getting owned so bad you are trying to pretend like you were making stuff up? lol wtf.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Says the guy who's getting owned so bad you are trying to pretend like you were making stuff up? lol wtf.

Says the guy who just tricked you into agreeing with something thats not happening with JuJu.

The fact the moved JuJu out there

Looks like your words to me.

Derp.

If you understood their schemes you would have been able to call me out in a nano second.

But (lol) you didn't. That you don't understand their system and how they run their offense is quite clear as I suspected.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Says the guy who just tricked you into agreeing with something thats not happening with JuJu.

[QUOTE="SouthGeorge]The fact they moved Juju out there

Looks like your words to me.

Derp.

If you understood their schemes you would have been able to call me out in a nano second.

But (lol) you didn't. That you don't understand their system and how they run their offense is quite clear as I suspected.[/QUOTE]

I haven't even watched the game yet. Just highlights and social media. I was in Europe and it came on at 1am. I plan on watching it tonight. You said he was moved to the outside, I was assuming for some snaps at the end of the game because Moncrief/Washington weren't getting it done. So I took your word for it, I didn't think you were lying to double check on people LOL

I guess that's what you have to do when you look so bad in the Moncrief/Metcalf debate.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I haven't even watched the game yet. Just highlights and social media. I was in Europe and it came on at 1am. I plan on watching it tonight. You said he was moved to the outside, I was assuming for some snaps at the end of the game because Moncrief/Washington weren't getting it done. So I took your word for it, I didn't think you were lying to double check on people LOL

I guess that's what you have to do when you look so bad in the Moncrief/Metcalf debate.

Sure... sure, sure. Got it.

Whatever you say boss. Missed all the preseason games to, I bet. You probably knew JuJu doesn't want to be the Z to, right? I bet you did huh?

And whatever debate you think we are having about Moncrief/Metcalf is all in your dome.

Johnson was drafted to be an X, the position they badly need filled. Whatever else you think you are debating is clearly not based on what you understand, but on Yinzer insta-expert status, that much is clear.

If Johnson busts, there were way better options they passed on over Metcalf, to fill that X. But if you understood their offense, well...

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Sure... sure, sure. Got it.

Whatever you say boss. Missed all the preseason games to, I bet. You probably knew JuJu doesn't want to be the Z to, right? I bet you did huh?

And whatever debate you think we are having about Moncrief/Metcalf is all in your dome.

Johnson was drafted to be an X, the position they badly need filled. Whatever else you think you are debating is clearly not based on what you understand, but on Yinzer insta-expert status, that much is clear.

If Johnson busts, there were way better options they passed on over Metcalf, to fill that X. But if you understood their offense, well...

You keep using x y z like it means you are more knowledgeable lol and not even what the debate was even about. Johnson wasn't drafted to be a X but nice try. The debate was I wanted Metcalf because we needed somebody to take the top off the defense because I have no faith in Moncrief and Washington to do that. I didn't want another slot WR because we had Switz, Juju, and Eli Rogers. I also still believe Washington would be better in a Juju role making combat catches over the middle. His college game isn't translating to the pros. That was the debate so you can keep using x y z and talking about schemes like your Randy Fichtner all you want.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
lol what?

Do you have experience with high school football fans? This place is pre-school nap time by comparison and still I’ve only had to delete posts and send out warnings a handful of times and those were when people’s private info was posted or personal threats were made. The difference is good mods aren’t in a hurry to show everyone they’re a mod

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Washington made his name in college by running deep routes. He (and Rudolph) made highlight reels weekly with it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You keep using x y z like it means you are more knowledgeable lol and not even what the debate was even about. Johnson wasn't drafted to be a X but nice try. The debate was I wanted Metcalf because we needed somebody to take the top off the defense because I have no faith in Moncrief and Washington to do that. I didn't want another slot WR because we had Switz, Juju, and Eli Rogers. I also still believe Washington would be better in a Juju role making combat catches over the middle. His college game isn't translating to the pros. That was the debate so you can keep using x y z and talking about schemes like your Randy Fichtner all you want.

So because you don’t understand the basics, you don’t want me to use those definitions? You know, stuff that any reasonable football fan would know, especially when trying to pretend they know who should be drafted more than the org.

And yes, Johnson was drafted to be an X. That’s exactly why he took almost all of his snaps in OTAs outside and why Drake said he envisions him outside in the NFL because of his ability to release off the line.

And Washington, once again, was drafted because of his ability to get deep.

You are batting an impressive .000.

Keep on going, insta-expert.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
It's quite simple. Look at how far off of the Receivers the Steelers are before the snap. They;re doomed before the play starts.

Agreed. The few times steelers beat the Pat's theyve had at least 1 CB playing press.

Yet they always keep trying to go back to playing 10 yrds off the receiver. Knowing damn well NEs bread and butter is throw short to intermediate quick in or out routes. Then going for a bomb every so often once they lull you to sleep

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
And again, the question remains, with his injured finger, why was he getting the same # of snaps as JuJu and basically playing the 2nd WR spot, when the team had Washington and Johnson available?

Yep yep yep... I said this a few posts back.

And not only did they play him but Ben kept targeting him.

So Ben's equally at fault.

If you know dudes finger is still f***ed, I get it you cant tell the coaches to not put him in, but you dont need to throw to him constantly.

Especially after the first 2 drops on easy balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->