OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: They Killed Kenny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
OL and CB are the top 2 priorities and nothing is close. People bitch about Johnson and Pickens, but they are good enough to win with. Tomlinhater saying no one gets separation is amusing since DJ is among the best in the NFL at getting separation - he has issues, but that's not one of them. They need to upgrade at 3/4 from Robinson and Austin but compared to the need to replace Cole and Moore and Peterson, it's a distant 3rd at best. I'm going to need to see a few more weeks of this from Pickett (and not against the 31st ranked D in the NFL) to buy in, but if hopefully he plays well enough the focus can be on surrounding him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Mr Hyperbole using the “best at getting separation” cliche when DJ has the lowest YPC of any leading Steelers receiver in 50 yrs is cute.

Huge difference between route running separation and running away from guys, which DJ rarely does, being a slow possession receiver avg a 50 year low 10 YPC.

Hence “getting separation and making consistent big plays”.

I know that’s tough for certain posters who exaggerate all the time to comprehend.

Reactions: Josey Wales

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Mr Hyperbole using the “best at getting separation” cliche when DJ has the lowest YPC of any leading Steelers receiver in 50 yrs is cute.

Huge difference between route running separation and running away from guys, which DJ rarely does, being a slow possession receiver avg a 50 year low 10 YPC.

Hence “getting separation and making consistent big plays”.

I know that’s tough for certain posters who exaggerate all the time to comprehend.
No one makes big plays in an offense when they've had no QB throw the ball downfield since 2018 and dipshit OC's running the show. Johnson has a lot of issues - drops, attitude, running backward, etc. - but to say he doesn't make big plays when put in an offense specifically designed to prevent them and saying he doesn't get separation when he's elite at doing it is dumb, even by your standards. But sorry - please get back to your 3820th Tomlin rant. Didn't mean to interrupt.

Diontae Johnson labeled most open receiver in NFL in 2022

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Eh. I like the idea of him being versatile, but having real OLB depth is so nice that I don't really want to mess with it. Not sure I'd trust him with dropping into coverage either which the real key of him being more than exotic pass rush packages.

Porter is having a wild season though.

He was good in coverage in college. How he blitzes is very reminiscent of the 90's Steelers teams when Lebeau came back in the fold. He's so explosive that inside zone blitzes with him would be fun to watch.

They likely won’t move Herbig inside, because they need the depth at OLB.

Their drafting priorities have to be T, C, ILB and WR.

The O desperately needs a legit #1 wr that can get separation and make the kind of consistent big plays AB and Ward used to make.

With KP, who knows. He again should be nothing worse than a solid starting QB had he been brought along properly.

The best QBs play with big stones and KP had that rare attribute, but Tomlin found a way to f*** that up, being Tomlin and all.

I saw a lot of potential in KP, but once you wreck a young QBs mojo that’s a road less traveled back to success.

Despite showing signs of life yesterday, KP feels like a house of Jenga right now.

I don't think they will move him inside, though I do believe he would be outstanding there. I don't know if KP is wrecked. I think yesterday showed that he can do what he needs to do. He needs to build on that going forward. Yesterday was day 1, and it was better. We need progression weekly now.

The Buffalo Bills are 6-6 with a +101 point diff.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are 7-4 with a -23 point diff.

Crazy.

It is truly insane how this team has been able to win. There was a stat based on offensive futility that was posted, and there were 7 teams posted - of the 7 team, I believe there was 1 win between them...and then there was the 2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. It defies all logic.

No one makes big plays in an offense when they've had no QB throw the ball downfield since 2018 and dipshit OC's running the show. Johnson has a lot of issues - drops, attitude, running backward, etc. - but to say he doesn't make big plays when put in an offense specifically designed to prevent them and saying he doesn't get separation when he's elite at doing it is dumb, even by your standards. But sorry - please get back to your 3820th Tomlin rant. Didn't mean to interrupt.

I think Johnson just won't realize his potential here. Him and KP have never been on the same page. His play yesterday encompassed everything that is frustrating about him. Has some great plays, then doesn't even attempt to run block, runs backwards after a catch, and doesn't chase down a fumble.

I've never been the biggest fan of him and I don't think he realizes his potential here.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hilarious they put up 400 yards in the very first game without Canada. I called it (as I'm sure a lot of people did), but it was also hilarious for the first play to be a completed pass over the middle. That seemed like it was a "f*** you" to Canada from everyone involved. Canada is such a joke. He should never work in the NFL or D-1 college ever again. Just completely exposed.

That's not to say the offense was perfect. They left points and big plays out there (Johnson's TD, Warren's fumble, Pickett missing Pickens badly on what would have been a big play), but they moved the ball. Finally. Clean up a few things and they might even score 30!

Reactions: Peat

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I think Johnson just won't realize his potential here. Him and KP have never been on the same page. His play yesterday encompassed everything that is frustrating about him. Has some great plays, then doesn't even attempt to run block, runs backwards after a catch, and doesn't chase down a fumble.

I've never been the biggest fan of him and I don't think he realizes his potential here.
Johnson is maddening on many levels and probably is a #2 WR on a good team, but for as much as many like to say the schemes have held Pickett back, they have done far more damage to Johnson and Pickens (or I guess they go hand in hand). The bigger point here is that they have more pressing needs than WR - OT, C, CB, S - and to prioritize WR early in the draft would be a poor use of resouces.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Mr Hyperbole going on and on with more nonsense, yet the facts show DJ has a paltry career avg of 10.9 YPC.

It’s him. He’s slow.

That doesn’t even begin to touch on his other issues as well.

Go make another post full of your silly cliches and non-stop exaggerating trying to explain that reality away.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Mr Hyperbole going on and on with more nonsense, yet the facts show DJ has a paltry career avg of 10.9 YPC.

It’s him. He’s slow.

That doesn’t even begin to touch on his other issues as well.

Go make another post full of your silly cliches and non-stop exaggerating trying to explain that reality away.
Do you even watch games or do you just sit and yell at your kids about how bad Tomlin is? Anyone who is actually arguing that Johnson is slow and doesn't get open clearly does not. This explains a lot, really.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Johnson is maddening on many levels and probably is a #2 WR on a good team, but for as much as many like to say the schemes have held Pickett back, they have done far more damage to Johnson and Pickens (or I guess they go hand in hand). The bigger point here is that they have more pressing needs than WR - OT, C, CB, S - and to prioritize WR early in the draft would be a poor use of resources.

I agree. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to trading DJ and utilizing the extra pick(s) to fill more holes. Tyler Boyd could be an interesting signing in free agency to fill a WR hole.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Do you even watch games or do you just sit and yell at your kids about how bad Tomlin is? Anyone who is actually arguing that Johnson is slow and doesn't get open clearly does not. This explains a lot, really.

Do you just sit in your basement all day thinking up things to exaggerate about?

Reading comprehension goes a long way.

I said he doesn’t get separation and make consistent big plays.

That’s not hard to understand for most people, and backed by facts (career 10.9 YPC) but here you are still confused and posting links about route separation and completely clueless.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If the alternative to DJ is trading him and signing someone like Boyd, sign me the f*** up. I hate players like DJ.

If it's dump him and then use a 1st or 2nd on a WR, hard pass.

This team has focused on skill positions far too much in recent years. Time to rebuild the lines (particularly the OL), ILB, CB, and S. If they want to draft an overlooked, but talented WR in the 6th round like they did with AB, whatever, sure. But it's pretty far down on the priority list for me.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
They have been on the field as much as any defense in the league. If the offense can sustain Time of Possession like they were able to yesterday, the defense should get better just by not being absolutely gassed.
This was cincy defensive rankings not the Steelers

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think they will move him inside, though I do believe he would be outstanding there. I don't know if KP is wrecked. I think yesterday showed that he can do what he needs to do. He needs to build on that going forward. Yesterday was day 1, and it was better. We need progression weekly now.
I don’t know if he’s wrecked and I’m not going to judge his mental toughness because he seems to be a brawler type in that sense.

I’ll have to actually see if he can overcome the incompetence he was surrounded with, and that’s a tough ask for any young QB, even the bluechips.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If the alternative to DJ is trading him and signing someone like Boyd, sign me the f*** up. I hate players like DJ.

If it's dump him and then use a 1st or 2nd on a WR, hard pass.

This team has focused on skill positions far too much in recent years. Time to rebuild the lines (particularly the OL), ILB, CB, and S. If they want to draft an overlooked, but talented WR in the 6th round like they did with AB, whatever, sure. But it's pretty far down on the priority list for me.

I just don't think they could afford taking a WR in the top 3 rounds unless a guy like Nabers drops in the 1st. He's a bonafide #1.

I don’t know if he’s wrecked and I’m not going to judge his mental toughness because he seems to be a brawler type in that sense.

I’ll have to actually see if he can overcome the incompetence he was surrounded with, and that’s a tough ask for any young QB, even the bluechips.

This has been a tough year for him, but yesterday they finally got him to a place where he is able to get into some sort of rhythm. This should get better from week to week.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I just don't think they could afford taking a WR in the top 3 rounds unless a guy like Nabers drops in the 1st. He's a bonafide #1.
I don't watch enough college football to know anything about him, but if he's really that good, him dropping to wherever the Steelers are likely to be picking would be a major red flag. Never say never, but I just can't imagine a scenario where I'll be happy taking a WR in the 1st or 2nd or probably even 3rd.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't watch enough college football to know anything about him, but if he's really that good, him dropping to wherever the Steelers are likely to be picking would be a major red flag. Never say never, but I just can't imagine a scenario where I'll be happy taking a WR in the 1st or 2nd or probably even 3rd.
This draft is really deep in many positions we need. Really good players are going to drop. MLB is really the weakest position followed by IOL. There really aren't any stud centers. Really good tackle class. Really strong DB class.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
What he was inartfully saying, I think, was that we should slow down on the optimism on the Steelers offense because Cincinnati's D sucks.
Yes they are ranked 30 in total defense we don’t play a good defense until bmore the pats are ranked 16th everyone else is 24 or lower

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This has been a tough year for him, but yesterday they finally got him to a place where he is able to get into some sort of rhythm. This should get better from week to week.

With a slew of bad Ds lined up it should give him a chance to rebuild his confidence, but it will only take one bad game for Yinzers to turn on him again and things to go south.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad